Most underwhelming disappointing release ever

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out the point of the iPhone XR. It's still too much $$$ for the budget phone market. If Apple were to have priced it at $500-$600, they could've taken on the OnePlus and Huawei phone markets. But like the doofuses they are, they priced it at $749 for the base model, which is just way too high of a price to be a budget phone. It also seemed like an afterthought.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't agree with the OP MORE. This was the most boring keynote ever! I know I'm being delusional, but I really did think at the end they would announce that they were bringing the updated iPhones at a cheaper price! Seriously who wouldn't have upgraded to a 512gb iPhone XS Max @ $999? I'm sorry folks I'm tapping out, and will keep what I have, maybe find a cheaper toy (Pixel 3XL) to feed my tech addiction this year ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't that enthused either. I'm gonna get a new battery for my 6s Plus and call it a day. Maybe next year. I did get a new TV last night.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
With all the rumors flowing before the event it made it seem underwhelming but come on the line up is pretty powerful for an S cycle

No, not really. It isn't.

This "s cycle" is not better from any other. IMO, it's even worse. Keep in mind, also, that they skipped 7s and went straight to 8 ;-)

iPhone 5s gave us Touch ID.

iPhone 6s gave us 3D Touch.

They basically want you to upgrade simply "because it looks like an iPhone X." For looks... That's why.

That's basically all it offers. The rest of it is completely expected. I don't even want to start with the $750 iPhone XR. For shame. This is the same price, basically, as a Galaxy S9; and it simply isn't on the same level as that phone in terms of hardware.

Meanwhile, the prices keep increasing, even though you are really not getting anymore value.

It doesn't help that they paired this 's' line with one of the most dull and anemic iOS releases, yet, either. A release that has people obsessing over "performance optimizations" simply because Apple as too lazy to invest more resources into its development. Every platform says it increases performance - Google has done this at least 3x. Windows 7 did it. Windows 10 did it. There's nothing special about that. The release, as a whole... was incredibly dull (AF... as some would say). Couple this with underwhelming hardware at insane prices, and you end up with a package that doesn't just lack excitement for many people, but actually puts them off.

This Xs Max makes the Note 9 look like a bargain, which is absolutely insane considering that phone starts at $999 itself!

Lastly, the propaganda marketing is really starting to wear off. Last year they spoke about how the A11 Bionic Chip was so f*****g amazing and how it enabled such amazing camera experiences. This year they cite that A12 Bionic can do so many hundreds of billions more instructions, and how they have now have some nice new HDR algorithm... But it's only for the A12 devices... because obviously the A11 is obsolete and cannot handle the workload, right?

I feel like the new CPUs are not worth caring about now or in the future. The CPUs are only 15% faster (in benchmarks ... likely lower in real world scenarios). That is like going from Intel Skylake to Kaby Lake... But you get a better GPU... As if that matters, driving the lower resolution iPhone screens (compared to Android devices, for example).

When was the last time you ever seen an iPhone's camera quality increase post-release, BTW? Yea, never.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
No, not really. It isn't.

This "s cycle" is not better from any other. IMO, it's even worse.

iPhone 5s gave us Touch ID.

iPhone 6s gave us 3D Touch.

There is no hardware feature in these 'S' devices that is new to them. FaceID was last year's headline feature.

Your making valet points but the big hook gadget this year is the ECG on the series 4 watch and they know that many fanboys who skipped the iPhone X will finally buy into the large selection offered this year. This new line up will cement the new generation of the iPhone

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Your making valet points but the big hook gadget this year is the ECG on the series 4 watch and they know that many fanboys who skipped the iPhone X will finally buy into the large selection offered this year. This new line up will cement the new generation of the iPhone

Fanboys are called fanboys for a reason. Most people aren't fanboys. They recognize that choices do exist, and do seem to notice the disparities that exist between this choices.

I don't think what fanboys do is really relevant, as they exist with all manufacturers, and will buy whatever those manufacturers offer to them; regardless of the value (or lack thereof) inherent in those products - particularly when upgrading Year-over-Year.

This new lineup will cement the new generation of iPhone as much as the iPhone 4 and iPhone 6 did.

It looks cute for the first couple of months, and then it becomes about as ordinary as a $200 Android phone.

I'm certainly not buying into them. For $1,099 (normal Xs not an option due to the weak battery life), we're getting into the territory where you have to appeal to a lot more than my opinions or slight bias for a certain platform or product line. I need some good objective value. The phone has to sell itself. Marketing ceases to be effective when the prices are getting to such extreme level.

And starting off with a 64GB SKU is insulting at these price ranges.

The Note 9 has a Variable Aperture Camera, S Pen with BT Remote, Double the Storage at lower prices. Expandable Storage. 3.5mm Headphone Jack. A Fast Charing Brick included, MST, Standard USB-C connection... No Notch, so a REAL 6.4" screen (as the diagonal measurements go through space next to the notch, which causes a very misleading measurement).

I've owned iPhone Plus since the 6, and the 5S before it, and have upgraded every year... So this is not because I just don't like the iPhone... I have just run out of excuses to give myself for paying increasing prices for decreasing value in the face of that. What exactly does the iPhone Xs do to justify the industry high pricing other than being Apple Branded and Looking like an X?

Same for the Xr, which is laughable given it costs about as much as a Galaxy S9...

If you think EKG on an Apple Watch is the big hook item this year, then I'm simply not sure how to respond to that... Interesting take on things... Maybe because people at the event actually clapped unsolicitedly at it?

If I feel a heart palpitation, I'm going straight to the hospital. I am not going to base my decision on an EKG from a device as unreliable as a watch. The people who actually need EKGs have no business using a watch for it. It can be a life or death situation. Go to the hospital. Watch can GFIT.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I am ok with Apple’s release, I understand that Apple put out the best iPhones it could this year and that doesn’t always mean major upgrade or new features. I am though blown away by the crazy price increases and the fact that few people are talking about it.

I was neither overwhelmed or underwhelmed. It’s an S release year, so I expected nothing astonishing. Maybe next year, maybe not. My focus on these types of things are starting to change considerably.

I don’t know if I’d be friends with a person who hosts Apple event watch parties. That’s just me though...

^THIS!!! I just couldn’t do it.

I don’t see how an eSIM is a benefit unless one is an apple fanboi.

I’m not a fan of eSIM at all. Consumers shouldn’t have to call the carrier every time they want to change their device. Anyway...Not sure why people have to be fanboys to like something. There are other devices that have been using eSIM for a while now.

I'm still trying to figure out the point of the iPhone XR. It's still too much $$$ for the budget phone market. If Apple were to have priced it at $500-$600, they could've taken on the OnePlus and Huawei phone markets. But like the doofuses they are, they priced it at $749 for the base model, which is just way too high of a price to be a budget phone. It also seemed like an afterthought.

While I agree with you to an extent, I don’t think Apple is trying to appeal to consumers that are looking at a OnePlus or Huawei device. They’re looking at folks that are specifically in the market to purchase an iPhone, but don’t want to spend a grand on it. This isn’t something that’s exclusive to Apple. Do I think they should have made the price a little cheaper, yes, but at the end of the day they’re doing what’s best for Apple. I don’t take it personally, I just don’t buy what I feel isn’t worth it.

If you think EKG on an Apple Watch is the big hook item this year, then I'm simply not sure how to respond to that... Interesting take on things... Maybe because people at the event actually clapped unsolicitedly at it?

If I feel a heart palpitation, I'm going straight to the hospital. I am not going to base my decision on an EKG from a device as unreliable as a watch. The people who actually need EKGs have no business using a watch for it. It can be a life or death situation. Go to the hospital. Watch can GFIT.

And this misunderstanding is exactly why consumer based tech is lacking in healthcare. Apple’s delivery of this info was terrible. They should have had a trained clinician explain because people will think they should use this for emergencies & that’s not accurate or smart in any sense. The one lead ECG should only be used for subjective data during wellness visits. This is not a device to detect/diagnose heart issues. The data collected from the device will be more useful in detecting a persons activity levels. Most people that see the doctor can’t even answer activity questions accurately. People tend to think they are active because they walk to the elevator or the car or up one flight of stairs. Wearable tech can help clinicians get a better idea of one’s activity levels and can help them provide better recommendations.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
And this misunderstanding is exactly why consumer based tech is lacking in healthcare. Apple’s delivery of this info was terrible. They should have had a trained clinician explain because people will think they should use this for emergencies & that’s not accurate or smart in any sense. The one lead ECG should only be used for subjective data during wellness visits. This is not a device to detect/diagnose heart issues. The data collected from the device will be more useful in detecting a persons activity levels. Most people that see the doctor can’t even answer activity questions accurately. People tend to think they are active because they walk to the elevator or the car or up one flight of stairs. Wearable tech can help clinicians get a better idea of one’s activity levels and can help them provide better recommendations.

Well said. Being in healthcare this worries me also. I hope people do not rely on this to information to self diagnose themselves (I read on Google that...). This is nothing to take lightly and they should have had professional clinicians explaining this to consumers.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Well said. Being in healthcare this worries me also. I hope people do not rely on this to information to self diagnose themselves (I read on Google that...). This is nothing to take lightly and they should have had professional clinicians explaining this to consumers.

The device is something that is much needed, but the misunderstanding of it scares the heck out of me. I’m so glad the software is delayed.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The device is something that is much needed, but the misunderstanding of it scares the heck out of me. I’m so glad the software is delayed.

I see the potential, especially to send information to professionals who can assess it clinically. I can see it eventually saving lives.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
As a nurse working in healthcare IT, I totally agree!!

I give you credit!
I have my own personal feelings on whether all this technology is good for inpatients or not but it’s here to stay. Seems like the time at the bedside has decreased while charting has increased. Of course there’s metadata and all that goes with that.

We’re on Meditech right now and probably going to Epic in the next couple years. It’s going to be a huge, system wide undertaking.

Fellow RN BTW.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

I agree with this. While the EKG functionality on the Apple Watch could potentially be useful for doctors, it's in no way meant to diagnose, treat, or really do much for you. I'm sure a doctor would find that info useful for overall trends in activity level, but I wouldn't trust heart monitors on a watch, that's for sure, especially when it comes to my health.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I give you credit!
I have my own personal feelings on whether all this technology is good for inpatients or not but it’s here to stay. Seems like the time at the bedside has decreased while charting has increased. Of course there’s metadata and all that goes with that.

We’re on Meditech right now and probably going to Epic in the next couple years. It’s going to be a huge, system wide undertaking.

Fellow RN BTW.

Nice to see a fellow RN weighing in Tech companies are trying to make charting less intrusive, so as not to take the clinician away from the patient. Tech in Health is going in the right direction, it’s just extremely expensive.

I’ve never used Meditech, but I’m very familiar with it. I’ve used Allscripts & Epic. I’m actually on the Epic team working as an analyst. Healthcare definitely needs more clinical folks behinds the scenes, as either analysts or informaticists, because sometimes things get way to techy for the end user, and a lot of IT folks don’t understand that.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Agreed.

It’s an old battlecry that ran another company into the ground.

I know you aren’t talking about the company that has beat the skin off of Apple in every segment except for cell phones and wearables. Because if you are, Microsoft has completely dominated the “pro tablet” and small computing segment that Apple is desperately trying to market to with its iPad Pro and poor excuse of productivity accessories. Also, Cloud, gaming, office software, server solutions, etc.

With that being said, Apple’s consumer first approach - that “teeny bopper” focus - is why it is able to release fantastic, consistent, and stable hardware. I loved my Lumia until Microsoft said “well let’s make this a business device” and I use my phone FOR my business. But I need the fluidity and Apple crispness. I don’t want enterprise features on my phone, I have my Surface for that. I want it to continue to improve the dumb ish I can do in texts, in FaceTime. iOS12 with Group FaceTime, the Xs with a bigger display, more storage, etc. was exactly what they needed with the splash iOS 12 SHOULD make.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I know you aren’t talking about the company that has beat the skin off of Apple in every segment except for cell phones and wearables. Because if you are, Microsoft has completely dominated the “pro tablet” and small computing segment that Apple is desperately trying to market to with its iPad Pro and poor excuse of productivity accessories. Also, Cloud, gaming, office software, server solutions, etc.

With that being said, Apple’s consumer first approach - that “teeny bopper” focus - is why it is able to release fantastic, consistent, and stable hardware. I loved my Lumia until Microsoft said “well let’s make this a business device” and I use my phone FOR my business. But I need the fluidity and Apple crispness. I don’t want enterprise features on my phone, I have my Surface for that. I want it to continue to improve the dumb ish I can do in texts, in FaceTime. iOS12 with Group FaceTime, the Xs with a bigger display, more storage, etc. was exactly what they needed with the splash iOS 12 SHOULD make.

WHOA NELLY!!!! Steady on!

No I wasn’t talking about Microsoft.

For your knowledge, I have a Lumia 1520 in red that I loved. Still love. It’s not in my junk drawer, it’s in my nightstand drawer and *just* this morning I went on a search and destroy mission for a charger I could use to turn it on and give it a go on my spare line.

And you got the demographic wrong too. Nowhere near teeny bopper status.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
WHOA NELLY!!!! Steady on!

No I wasn’t talking about Microsoft.

For your knowledge, I have a Lumia 1520 in red that I loved. Still love. It’s not in my junk dresser, it’s in my nightstand drawer and *just* this morning I went on a search and destroy mission for a charger I could use to turn it on and give it a go on my spare line.

And you got the demographic wrong too. Nowhere near teeny bopper status.

I wasn’t responding to you with that second paragraph. The first few posts used that term.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I wasn’t responding to you with that second paragraph. The first few posts used that term.

Oh.....so you’re going to gloss over the fact that you went off half cocked with an assumption that I was disparaging Microsoft?

If I weren’t too tired to go upstairs again I’d show you my Lumia. I’ve certainly about it in the past, back when I used to hang around these forums.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Oh.....so you’re going to gloss over the fact that you went off half cocked with an assumption that I was disparaging Microsoft?

If I weren’t too tired to go upstairs again I’d show you my Lumia. I’ve certainly about it in the past, back when I used to hang around these forums.

I’m not glossing over it. You said you weren’t talking about them. Nothing else to say. I don’t need to see your phone. There are also plenty of Lumia owners who hate the company lol.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I’m not glossing over it. You said you weren’t talking about them. Nothing else to say. I don’t need to see your phone. There are also plenty of Lumia owners who hate the company lol.

And there are Apple lovers who love Microsoft. I’m one. I know other Apple users who won’t touch a Mac or an iPad and spend their money on Surface tablets and won’t ever leave Microsoft computers.

The world isn’t black and white. The world is a whole lot of gray. The extremes and the assumptions are what get us in trouble.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal