What has Apple gotten right that Google hasn’t?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Equally consistent with Samsung, Nokia, Xiaomi and Huawei (I can go on).

Though I did appreciate their phones not exploding in 2017 lol

I will have to take your word for it.

My Nokia Windows Phone was crap. The SIM slot broke with the first attempt of inserting a SIM card. Just bad design. Of course, I had to return the damaged phone for a new replacement phone and pray that the fragile conducts don’t break off trying to insert the SIM. Apple’s design is of course, so much more thought out and well designed, so much that many have copied the design.

Last edited:

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I will have to take your word for it.

My Nokia Windows Phone was crap. The SIM slot broke with the first attempt of inserting a SIM card. Just bad design. Of course, I had to return the damaged phone for a new replacement phone and pray that the fragile conducts don’t break off trying to insert the SIM. Apple’s design is of course, so much more thought out and well designed, so much that many have copied the design.

Windows phone was crap but not Android. I’m talking about the Nokia by HMD.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I’ve said it before Software and Hardware integration is Apple’s strong suit

Although Google is in the running there fragmentation will always keep them in second place

Android’s more advanced features and better value for money is their strong suit.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Android’s more advanced features and better value for money is their strong suit.

I think, in the eye of an Android user, this is true.
They either cannot afford an iPhone or just find them too expensive. They can get an Android for a few hundred dollars and it has all the features they need.
I think Apple would be wise to look at this and focus on a mid level phone. They’ll never get the $300 crowd but could capture a lot of people around $550. If they don’t their numbers will continue to drop.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I think, in the eye of an Android user, this is true.
They either cannot afford an iPhone or just find them too expensive. They can get an Android for a few hundred dollars and it has all the features they need.
I think Apple would be wise to look at this and focus on a mid level phone. They’ll never get the $300 crowd but could capture a lot of people around $550. If they don’t their numbers will continue to drop.

I agree with your second paragraph, but forgive me for saying so, the first one seems very snobbish. While it is true that many can only afford Android devices, there are also many (myself included) who CAN afford an iPhone but prefer Android (for a multitude of reasons, which I won’t mention because it’ll trigger an argument)...so it isn’t always matter of we can’t afford it, but because we prefer something else.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I agree with your second paragraph, but forgive me for saying so, the first one seems very snobbish. While it is true that many can only afford Android devices, there are also many (myself included) who CAN afford an iPhone but prefer Android (for a multitude of reasons, which I won’t mention because it’ll trigger an argument)...so it isn’t always matter of we can’t afford it, but because we prefer something else.

Certainly wasn’t trying to be snobbish. Either they are 1) too expensive for some people or 2) they don’t want to spend that much and find Android fits their needs.
I use both so certainly don’t judge.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Certainly wasn’t trying to be snobbish. Either they are 1) too expensive for some people or 2) they don’t want to spend that much and find Android fits their needs.
I use both so certainly don’t judge.

Ah...when rephrased it makes more sense (was initially confused). Which devices do you use?

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
I have an iPhone XR and a Nokia 7.1.

Good phones. Both got a lot of praise from reviewers in general. Quick question: Do you notice the XR’s display to be slightly fuzzy sometimes? Because on paper the 750p LCD seems a bit inadequate despite the age old retina standard.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Good phones. Both got a lot of praise from reviewers in general. Quick question: Do you notice the XR’s display to be slightly fuzzy sometimes? Because on paper the 750p LCD seems a bit inadequate despite the age old retina standard.

Not my old eyes. Most displays I see today are perfectly fine.
I have an iPad Pro and MacBook Pro so I like the cohesiveness of the OS. At the same time I like the Nokia 7.1 size and feel. It’s the perfect size and weight for my liking.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Not my old eyes. Most displays I see today are perfectly fine.
I have an iPad Pro and MacBook Pro so I like the cohesiveness of the OS. At the same time I like the Nokia 7.1 size and feel. It’s the perfect size and weight for my liking.

I agree...tried holding an XR and S10. For me their screen sizes and actual dimensions were about just right :)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

The iPhone XR isn’t 750P. It is a 326 ppi, 1792-by-828-pixel resolution.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
My bad. Still, on papier a 6.1 inch LCD with a ppi of 326 doesn’t seem particularly good, hence my questions to what it looks like in daily use.

If I had it side by side with a “better” screen maybe I could tell the difference. As my daily driver it is just fine. Plus I understand it is the cheaper model which I also bought used for a significant price reduction which made its value very good to me.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site
Ok...do you have one/have you used one? Apple makes the best LCDs but they’re still outclassed by AMOLED/OLED displays in my opinion (which have better colour accuracy/vibrancy)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok...do you have one/have you used one? Apple makes the best LCDs but they’re still outclassed by AMOLED/OLED displays in my opinion (which have better colour accuracy/vibrancy)

Then don’t buy an iPhone XR. I enjoy the XR just fine. I don’t want an OLED XS, or XS Max.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I’m not sure what outclassed means. It’s not like my screen doesn’t have vibrant colors or the text is blurry. All this stuff just adds price to these phones which I don’t believe adds enough value in return.
That’s just my opinion though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73