Do you ever mind what others use for a daily driver?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to pose this question to people who use Apple most and could potentially be the "iSheep" that some people (and there are) arbitrarily regard us as. Do you really mind if people prefer an Android phone as a daily device?

Personally no, but I just find it odd that people have to 'make the point clear' about how Android is the device for people who can't afford an iPhone. While true in some cases it can be such a blatant statement for people who genuinely like the advantages of Android and can afford an iPhone X if they wanted to, but chose not to.

What's your take on this?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been using and test mobile devices FOREVER... and I alway tell people the same thing when they ask my advise. Stick to the platform you are invested in. If you have a ton of stuff in iTunes/Apple then stick with iOS, if you buy lots of stuff from Google then use Android. Really at this point in tech, all the devices are the same. Each has its own little differences but they all do the same thing in the end.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to pose this question to people who use Apple most and could potentially be the "iSheep" that some people (and there are) arbitrarily regard us as. Do you really mind if people prefer an Android phone as a daily device?

Personally no, but I just find it odd that people have to 'make the point clear' about how Android is the device for people who can't afford an iPhone. While true in some cases it can be such a blatant statement for people who genuinely like the advantages of Android and can afford an iPhone X if they wanted to, but chose not to.

You already know my answer. I don’t care what anyone else uses and I’m not going to waste my time even thinking about what he or she is using. In addition, I don’t care what someone else thinks of me using an iPhone.

Last edited:

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Too many people invest too much of their identities in their phones. They are definitely seen as status symbols by many. While the kind of phone you use certainly can say something about you, it doesn't say everything.

I always say use the phone you want and be happy. And it's okay for others to choose differently than you and be happy, too.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I think it's silly and dumb to argue about subjective things. People prefer what they prefer. If a person prefers Apple products, that's great. If a person prefers Android, that's also great. There are plenty of Android phones that cost as much as the most expensive Apple phones [Pixel 2 XL, Huawei P20 Pro, Note 8, Note 9 (when it comes out in a few weeks), etc.].

Live and let live, I say. So, to answer your question, no, I do not care about what people prefer. I am interested in what people are using, however.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Too many people invest too much of their identities in their phones. They are definitely seen as status symbols by many. While the kind of phone you use certainly can say something about you, it doesn't say everything.

I always say use the phone you want and be happy. And it's okay for others to choose differently than you and be happy, too.

Well said.

As for me, I couldn’t care less what everyone uses. I don’t use Apple products for status; I use them because they’re beautiful devices that best serve my needs.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
No,I don’t mind at all, but I wouldn’t know because I don’t peer at other people’s phones,probably I care too little about perceived status !

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find it amusing that many take their smartphone so personally, that it invokes argument. The closest thing I can think of is the pick up truck debate. Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. But even that doesn't match the way smartphone users take their device so personally. It's really a strange phenomenon. I couldn't care less what others use.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I can't speak internationally...but in the United States, this just isn't true anymore. iPhones are actually very affordable if you want one. Sure, the X is rather expensive, but that's not the only iPhone on the market. So whenever I hear people saying this I just shake my head.

I'm like you though...no I don't care. I couldn't care less. I like Android, personally. I just have so much invested in the Apple eco-system that it's easier for me to stay put.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can't speak internationally...but in the United States, this just isn't true anymore. iPhones are actually very affordable if you want one. Sure, the X is rather expensive, but that's not the only iPhone on the market. So whenever I hear people saying this I just shake my head.

Yup. And all the evidence you need is from Apple’s 3rd quarter. They sold 41.3 million iPhones (all variants included) with an ASP of $734 which suggests that price pretty much hasn’t had much effect on sales.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Yup. And all the evidence you need is from Apple’s 3rd quarter. They sold 41.3 million iPhones (all variants included) with an ASP of $734 which suggests that price pretty much hasn’t had much effect on sales.

Right. And then once you account for all the varying promotions you can find on iPhones these days through carriers and the fact that most aren't walking into a store and dropping $700+, but instead on some sort of installment plan...the "Android users can't afford iPhones" argument is kind of void these days lol.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

The Galaxy Note 9 is likely to cost more than $1000 (at least the higher-storage models, and perhaps even the base model). There are plenty of expensive Android phones, and they seem to sell quite well. So no, I don't but the idea that Androids are for people who can't afford iPhones.

And no, I really don't care what people use as their "daily driver" smartphones.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
You already know my answer. I don’t care what anyone else uses and I’m not going to waste my time even thinking about what he or she is using. In addition, I don’t care what someone else thinks of me using an iPhone.

THIS!

Nothing else needs to be said.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I’m truly disappointed when someone I know, or even sometimes don’t know, uses an Android device. I feel like they’re missing out on a lot of stuff, even though I don’t have any concrete idea what that stuff is.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro