Video: Owning an iPhone, iPad indicates wealth?

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Warning: The video autoplays at the link below.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-07-13/study-iphones-ipads-indicate-wealth-video

(If the link doesn't work for you, the findings of the study from the University of Chicago can be summarized as,
-69% chance that iPhone owners are "high income"
-66.9% chance that iPad owners are "high income"
-Android has a lower chance at 59.5%.
The study analyzed brands and user wealth over the years.)

What do you think of the idea that owning an iPhone, iPad indicates wealth in the US, according to a study? Do you agree, disagree? Any general thoughts?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-07-13/study-iphones-ipads-indicate-wealth-video

(If the link doesn't work for you, the findings of the study from the University of Chicago can be summarized as,

What do you think of the idea that owning an iPhone, iPad indicates wealth in the US, according to a study? Do you agree, disagree? Any general thoughts?

I would agree that when the first iPhone went on sale, it cost $600 upfront. No other phone or PDA at that time, at least not to my knowledge, was priced in that manner. With that being said, the first iPhone became an instant status symbol. The above mentioned study, is somewhat true, in my opinion, even though these days, owning an iPhone has been made much easier. Apple has positioned its as a company that sells premium products, and with premium products comes a hefty price tag that adds to the belief that only those with wealth can afford it.

Last edited:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I wasn't part of that survey. I'm not "High Income" ...LOL. "Low Income" is more like it...LOL

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I never knew I was wealthy! I have saved up for all my devices, or as others have done, paid for it in installments.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Interesting back in the day owning a TV was also a sign of wealth now you can pick one up on the side of the road 🤣

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My family was one of the first ones in our neighborhood to own a microwave. Friends would come over to “experiment” with whole potatoes and eggs.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site

Don't tell my wife!:p

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Interesting video/study.. Though I consider "high" income and wealth two different things. A lot of people spend more than they make and don't really have any wealth. Too much car.. too much house ... looks great, but they're broke a lot of times.

Looking at the study further, can't help but chuckle... previous top spots ... '92 "Used Grey Poupon Dijon mustard" and '04 "Used Land O' Lakes butter" .. LOL! Classic stuff.. :laughing:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I can see where many with low income may neither afford going the payments route nor are able to save for high dollar tech toys. Many do find a way to purchase older devices. Those statistics sound about right to me. I haven't upgraded my 6s Plus since September of 2015, and it's because I ain't rich.

Spectrumite

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
I agree with the conclusion, although there's no data included with the video. With Android, there are a lot of very inexpensive phones available. My carrier, T-Mobile, has four or five Android smartphones that are listed for under $300, and a couple of them are @ $150. Apple has a relatively less expensive option with the SE, but everything else is pretty expensive. It just seems logical that the iPhone would gravitate to people with higher income.

However, there is a major flaw in this study: iPhone is a phone maker/model, and Android is an OS. Perhaps a more accurate comparison should be between iPhone and (for example) Samsung, or Huwai.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Everyone in the projects have Apple devices. It means nothing, now that subsidies and leasing options dominate the US market.

This may be different in Europe, Asia, and other markets, though that also depends on whether people feel spending disposable income on a luxury brand is a good decision.

My friends from France would probably buy Android devices and use the extra money to travel, instead.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
First, I have heard that in most of the world there is no way to buy Apple devices on an installment plan? Is this true?

Second, what does being wealthy mean? You have $1,000,000? Or you have more assets than debts?

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I really don't give a flying piece of fudge what people think about me owning an iPhone or and Apple product means.

I own several Apple products because (1) they work and (2) because I've spent the last half century getting to a point in my life where I can afford to splurge on things that I want. Period.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711