How Often Do you update your phone with a new model?

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
The conventional wisdom used to be that one updated every two years. However, the IPhone and many of its competitors have gotten sufficiently feature-rich that some might wait longer than two years. Then again, some people always want the latest and greatest. They update every year. What do you do and why?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been updating annually for a while now, but this *may* be the year I hold on to my iPhone X for an additional year.....Then again....

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Unless damage occurs, I tend to hold onto devices until a new one comes out with features I need or that I'm looking for. Currently holding onto the 7+ a while longer.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I’ve been updating annually for a while now, but this *may* be the year I hold on to my iPhone X for an additional year.....Then again....

This is where I am. I SAY I'm going to hold onto my X for an additional year...but who knows what will happen lol. But as of now...I'm pretty set on that thought.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's been every two years for me since my first iPhone, except now. I've had my 6s Plus for 2½ years now. I'll probably get a new one soon, but keep my 6s Plus.

ggrant3876

Apr 29, 2018
Visit site
I get at least two new phones every year. That's my obsession is checking out a lot of phones, the iPhone 8+ being my first Apple product.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It used to be a couple times a year. Now I’m backing off because there’s really nothing that exciting and necessary coming out and prices are ridiculous. My iPhone 7 still works perfectly which I bought used a year ago.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I can upgrade every month with T-Mobile if I wanted to. I usually stick to a yearly upgrade though. This year I may have to hold off, the next month or so will tell me for sure.

violetjune

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
At the beginning of my iPhone obsession i upgraded every 2 Years, but now it’s yearly, and at this moment I feel that I might hold on to my X for a lot longer, because it’s so awesome, but this is now and who knows what the heck I’ll do when September comes around. Especially when rumors start flooding the forums.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
With Jump on Demand through T-Mobile I can upgrade every 30 days, so it really depends. Sometimes once a year, sometimes 3X a year. I'm thinking hard about getting the Xperia XZ2 when it gets wide released in the US at the end of the month. I'm waiting to see what HTC brings to the table with the U12 first. I'll still keep my X though. I like to have both and Android phone and an iOS phone.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking hard about getting the Xperia XZ2 when it gets wide released in the US at the end of the month.
With Apple & Samsung pretty much being a Duopoly in the cellular marketplace. It's easy to forget Sony continues to quietly turnout some pretty sweet phones! ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
With Jump on Demand through T-Mobile I can upgrade every 30 days, so it really depends. Sometimes once a year, sometimes 3X a year. I'm thinking hard about getting the Xperia XZ2 when it gets wide released in the US at the end of the month. I'm waiting to see what HTC brings to the table with the U12 first. I'll still keep my X though. I like to have both and Android phone and an iOS phone.

Why do you have to have both? What is the purpose? What does an Android phone have, that the iPhone X doesn't have, that you must purchase both?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Why do you have to have both? What is the purpose? What does an Android phone have, that the iPhone X doesn't have, that you must purchase both?

The same reason I participate in forums and read different tech sites. A general interest in consumer electronics and tech of all kinds. There are things iOS does better and things Android does better. I can't in good conscience say one platform is better than another without using both objectively. I prefer the overall ecosystem of Apple products, but I can't deny that Android is a good OS that I also like to use.

With Apple & Samsung pretty much being a Duopoly in the cellular marketplace. It's easy to forget Sony continues to quietly turnout some pretty sweet phones! ...

I haven't owned a Sony phone since the W810, but that was a great phone for it's time, and I've always been interested in trying their smartphones. With HTC I had the M8 and M9, so I'm torn on the U12 vs. the XZ2. That's why I'm waiting to see what HTC brings to the table before pulling the trigger on the Sony.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I like to try the new thing if it can be possibly benefit me, and I change every year usually. I kept my SE for nearly 2 years since none of the replacements were able to nail all of the important things for me. As someone that likes smaller phones, I only leap if there's something to leap to, which choice is decreasing by the year.

I hope to change phones this year but that depends on the SE refresh actually happening or not...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox