How Many Apps Do You Subscribe?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's gotten to where just about any kind of app wants you to pay them each month with subscriptions for this and that. They can add up to a big chunk of a monthly budget. I don't mind paying for an app or an in app purchase, but I'm not yet going to pay a monthly fee to use an app. For some, it's just outright gouging users. Especially when the app was already paid for, then instead of updating it, they ask for a subscription to get the new features. Carrot Weather is an example of this. You can't get a severe weather alert from Carrot unless you subscribe, even after paying $3.99 for the app. I personally think it's gotten out of hand. And they'll keep doing it as long as users pay it. How many app subscriptions do you have? Are they worth it to you? Other thoughts?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I pay for Carrot, At Bat, and a “safe” kids video app called Jellies. Other than that I’m pretty much in the same school of thought as you.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I only pay for Dashlane password manager yearly subscription.

I thought you meant like just pay for App,
Otherwise there are Netflix, Amazon, Directv Now , Apple Music. I think that's it I pretty much stopped playing games because of in-app purchases to advance on them.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It's gotten to where just about any kind of app wants you to pay them each month with subscriptions for this and that. They can add up to a big chunk of a monthly budget. I don't mind paying for an app or an in app purchase, but I'm not yet going to pay a monthly fee to use an app. For some, it's just outright gouging users. Especially when the app was already paid for, then instead of updating it, they ask for a subscription to get the new features. Carrot Weather is an example of this. You can't get a severe weather alert from Carrot unless you subscribe, even after paying $3.99 for the app. I personally think it's gotten out of hand. And they'll keep doing it as long as users pay it. How many app subscriptions do you have? Are they worth it to you? Other thoughts?

In my opinion it’s getting out of hand. Everyone wants your money.
$1000 for a smartphone and then monthly fees to use apps. I won’t do it.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I pay for Carrot and At Bat. I absolutely love the At Bat app. I use the Carrot weather complication on my watch and I’m pretty much on At Bat every day during baseball season

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Out of my own mad money; Apple Music and Carrot Weather. I have small inexpensive subs for all kinds of things just for me, and not all of them related to my phone.

Netflix, SiriusXM, and other streaming services are paid with our mutual entertainment monthly fund.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Apple Music, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime are the only subscriptions I pay for. I use Apple Music semi-regularly, but have been thinking about cancelling it b/c I don't use it enough to pay 10 bucks a month for it. The video streaming services I pay for I only use on my Apple TV.

I thought about doing Carrot Weather because it's pretty cheap, but I'm not really sure the extra features are really even worth the tiny yearly subscription fee.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple Music, Google Play Music/YouTube Red, Netflix and I just recently dropped cable and got YouTube TV.

Either Apple Music or Google Play Music will be dropped. Not sure which one yet. The family is split on the preferred service.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I only pay for Dashlane password manager yearly subscription.

I thought you meant like just pay for App,
Otherwise there are Netflix, Amazon, Directv Now , Apple Music. I think that's it I pretty much stopped playing games because of in-app purchases to advance on them.

Just subscriptions.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple Music, Google Play Music/YouTube Red, Netflix and I just recently dropped cable and got YouTube TV.

Either Apple Music or Google Play Music will be dropped. Not sure which one yet. The family is split on the preferred service.

You're the only one who's mentioned YouTube Red. My cousin has that and likes it.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
You're the only one who's mentioned YouTube Red. My cousin has that and likes it.

I had YouTube Red for about 6 months, and the ad free experience was nice. I never watched any of the exclusive content though. Plus I don't really watch YouTube enough to keep it around.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Love my Carrot weather. Besides the stock Weather Channel app, it's the only other one I've used that updates location on my watch in real time.

I also have Apple Music. Those are the only two I'm paying a subscription for. Netflix is being paid for by Tmobile and Amazon Music and Video is part of my wife's Prime account.

Oh, and YouTube TV as we're in the process of "cutting the cord".

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox