How Many Apps Do You Subscribe?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If the app producer updates regularly with useful new content, I would be happy to consider a subscription. If the app sits dormant for more than a year at a time without useful updates, I do not want a subscription.

That might depend on what you get with the subscription. If it's useful enough to subscribe now, would it not still be useful a year from now, without an update? It only makes sense if it's no longer useful or outdated. There's a lot of "depends on..." there.

iPutz

Nov 6, 2018
Visit site
Many of them are about as useful as a screen door in a submarine if you’re in the middle of nowhere without internet access.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I subscribe to quite a few...  music, Pandora, Amazon Prime music, iCloud storage, Netflix, Dropbox, & Amazon Prime.

In regards to my 3 music streaming subs, I will be analyzing what will work best for me and stop 2 of the subs.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I subscribe to quite a few...  music, Pandora, Amazon Prime music, iCloud storage, Netflix, Dropbox, & Amazon Prime.

In regards to my 3 music streaming subs, I will be analyzing what will work best for me and stop 2 of the subs.

I guess I didn't word my original question good enough. I meant to exclude streaming services, and other media apps. I understand those offering subscriptions. It's other apps that subscriptions don't make sense. Like Facetune 2 for example. I've been using Facetune for years. So now, instead of updating with new features, they have a new Facetune 2 that requires a subscription. I paid for the "legacy". Another is JibJab. To get all the cool stuff, it requires $2.99 a month subscription. If I subscribed to every app that wants me to, I'd go broke. I just wish Apple had not opened that flood gate.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess I didn't word my original question good enough. I meant to exclude streaming services, and other media apps. I understand those offering subscriptions. It's other apps that subscriptions don't make sense. Like Facetune 2 for example. I've been using Facetune for years. So now, instead of updating with new features, they have a new Facetune 2 that requires a subscription. I paid for the "legacy". Another is JibJab. To get all the cool stuff, it requires $2.99 a month subscription. If I subscribed to every app that wants me to, I'd go broke. I just wish Apple had not opened that flood gate.

Ok I understand what you’re asking. I may have misread and misunderstood as well.

Other than what I’ve mentioned in my original post, there are no monthly app subscriptions that I pay for.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok I understand what you’re asking. I may have misread and misunderstood as well.

Other than what I’ve mentioned in my original post, there are no monthly app subscriptions that I pay for.

It just seems wrong for a photo editing app to ask for a subscription. I'll pay for a paid version or a one time pay for an in app purchase, but not a monthly fee.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It just seems wrong for a photo editing app to ask for a subscription. I'll pay for a paid version or a one time pay for an in app purchase, but not a monthly fee.

Yes I agree. There’s a lot of apps that I’ve been interested that are “free” but then upon opening them to look further, there’s suddenly a monthly fee to access the full options...like ie., some weather apps, I can’t think of any off the top of my head but I won’t pay a monthly subscription for the same thing I can get from a (completely) free weather app.

Just as I was replying to this, I read on Flipboard about an email app, Newton Mail, that’s back and there’s a $50 yrly subscription...I wouldn’t pay that either. But that’s just me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes I agree. There’s a lot of apps that I’ve been interested that are “free” but then upon opening them to look further, there’s suddenly a monthly fee to access the full options...like ie., some weather apps, I can’t think of any off the top of my head but I won’t pay a monthly subscription for the same thing I can get from a (completely) free weather app.

Just as I was replying to this, I read on Flipboard about an email app, Newton Mail, that’s back and there’s a $50 yrly subscription...I wouldn’t pay that either. But that’s just me.

I used to have that app when it was called CloudMagic. Or something like that. Hard to believe anyone would pay $50 a year for an email app on iOS. The MyRadar weather app now charges an annual subscription for a few extra features, like hurricane tracking. I like the app, but won't pay a subscription.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I used to have that app when it was called CloudMagic. Or something like that. Hard to believe anyone would pay $50 a year for an email app on iOS.
Yes I agree that’s crazy!

The MyRadar weather app now charges an annual subscription for a few extra features, like hurricane tracking. I like the app, but won't pay a subscription.
Same, I refuse to pay for a weather subscription as well.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Update:

Carrot Weather
Apple Music
1Password
iCloud 200meg storage
Netflix (via T-Mobile)
Amazon Prime Movies (via wife’s Prime account)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen