Merging MacOS and IOS

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Should Apple merge its two main operating systems: MacOS and IOS? AN obvious advantage would be the reduced effort to maintain and enhance one OS rather than two. Further, apps could run on all of desktops, laptops, tables, and phones. A clear disadvantage would be that these are distinctly different environments and a lowest common denominator approach would serve no one.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I can see the issues that would arise like display orientation to name one and third party app development issues.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Merging the two operating systems? I’m not sure how I feel about that. With that being said, I sure would like for macOS to run on an iPad Pro so that it could be truly a “Pro” device.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm with Just_Me_D on this one. I'm not sure how I feel about both OS being merged. An iPad that can run both iOS and MacOS would be super sweet though.

lovekimfan

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site
It won't be that easy to merge the two systems together.
One simple case from Microsoft in the past. Previously, Microsoft is so ambitious to merge the mobile operation platform to desktop os, but the result turn out to be disappointed.
Apple might not be that aggressive in a short term. If there will be a merge, I wondered Apple will do this gradually and change the user behaviour.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
There are so many tradeoffs using a touch based OS on a desktop I'm not sure if it's the right idea. I'd like to see a redesign of both iOS and macOS, but merging the two isn't the best solution imo.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Timmy said the other day that it’s not going to happen. Sounds like Apple learned from Microsoft’s mistake!

True... but to play devil's advocate for a moment, if Apple don't merge OS X and iOS, the iPad will never be a laptop replacement. How do they fix that problem?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
True... but to play devil's advocate for a moment, if Apple don't merge OS X and iOS, the iPad will never be a laptop replacement. How do they fix that problem?

It really depends on how the individual uses an iPad on whether or not it can be a laptop replacement. For many users the iPad can currently be a laptop replacement. Manu people just want to browse the web, use apps, check email, etc. For those people that don't have heavy workloads I'd argue that it's a better device for many.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I can’t see Apple merging the two primary operating system into one. For myself and most of my clients. We like the way the current IOS and Mac OS are integrated.

I have been around since the early days and the way my IOS devices integrate with my Mac desktop is second to none and I wouldn’t change anything.

We converted our business from PC to Mac back in 2008 and never looked back. Currently I have High Sierra on both my Mac desktops and the latest IOS on my devices and haven’t had any major issues.

I always tell every one of my friends and clients the secret to having a smooth operating system is keeps both your Macs and IOS devices current with the latest updates from Apple. Just my two cents worth.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
How about leaving the user interfaces different (touch screen and gestures for IOS versus keyboard and mouse for MacOS), but making the underlying code the same one or two API's at a time?

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As much as I like Apple, merging would probably be the death of the Apple computer as we know it!! They’ll probably simplify it too much & it’ll end up being an iPad in a Mac shell. I say allow iPad to run MacOS, so those that need a portable touchscreen Mac will have that ability. Don’t merge the two.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234