What do you NOT LIKE about Apple?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve heard some people say they don’t see enough Apple criticism on iMore. So let’s jump into it then, I’d like to keep this an active thread if possible. I’ll post my own dislikes later, for now, what do you not like about Apple?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Some may see this as a positive and part of me does also BUT Apple does not really innovate much any more. They let others invent and innovate, and then THEY come along later and often (although NOT always) do it better. Apple Pay, and wireless charging being 2 current examples. :) Even FaceID is not new or unique, yea yea they probably do it better, BUT Samsung has had an iris scanner for a few years now.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Some may see this as a positive and part of me does also BUT Apple does not really innovate much any more. They let others invent and innovate, and then THEY come along later and often (although NOT always) do it better. Apple Pay, and wireless charging being 2 current examples. :) Even FaceID is not new or unique, yea yea they probably do it better, BUT Samsung has had an iris scanner for a few years now.

Let’s not even get into that iris scanner with Samsung. It’s absolutely horrible compared to Face ID. I’d rather have Apple not be first to get things out but get them right. I have both s8 plus and X and Face ID is night and day better.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’ve heard some people say they don’t see enough Apple criticism on iMore. So let’s jump into it then, I’d like to keep this an active thread if possible. I’ll post my own dislikes later, for now, what do you not like about Apple?

Unless one is a troll or something, people who congregate in a specific forum share the same affinity for whatever the focus is. In iMore’s case, the focus is on Apple products and services.
With that in mind, why would there be a “great deal” of criticism? Is there criticism? Yes. However, those who think there should be more are in the minority and probably shouldn’t be here, in my opinion.

I came to iMore (previously known as TiPB) because I was interested in learning everything I could about Apple products and services as well as help others who may be having issues with theirs. I did not come to iMore to bash or hate on Apple.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Let’s not even get into that iris scanner with Samsung. It’s absolutely horrible compared to Face ID. I’d rather have Apple not be first to get things out but get them right. I have both s8 plus and X and Face ID is night and day better.

Oh yea! 100% agree I tried the iris scanner on my S8 (when I had one) and then turned it off within 2 days. It just didn't work right! So we don't necessarily disagree here. ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Oh yea! 100% agree I tried the iris scanner on my S8 (when I had one) and then turned it off within 2 days. It just didn't work right! So we don't necessarily disagree here. ;)

I still have my s8 plus as Samsung sent it to me at launch as part of their insight program. Anytime I use it, the iris scanner frustrates me. I bet the phone that they are about to announce is much improved. It definitely can’t be any worse.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Unless one is a troll or something, people who congregate in a specific forum share the same affinity for whatever the focus is. In iMore’s case, the focus is on Apple products and services.
With that in mind, why would there be a “great deal” of criticism? Is there criticism? Yes. However, those who think there should be more are in the minority and probably shouldn’t be here, in my opinion.

I came to iMore (previously known as TiPB) because I was interested in learning everything I could about Apple products and services as well as help others who may be having issues with theirs. I did not come to iMore to bash or hate on Apple.

I agree, I’m not saying we need to criticize Apple more per se, just that out criticisms of Apple aren’t see enough by some people. So I decided to make threads where we could do that, and if people think we don’t criticize Apple here we have a place to show them to.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Lack of customization. LOVED Nova Launcher on Android. Would love an actual dark mode on iOS. Would love to have a transparent dock on iOS.

Ok, I'm going to stop now. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I’m not saying we need to criticize Apple more per se, just that out criticisms of Apple aren’t see enough by some people. So I decided to make threads where we could do that, and if people think we don’t criticize Apple here we have a place to show them to.
Oh okay. I understand....:cool:

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Hold my beer ...

I have commented on this before in this forum. Without a doubt it is Apple's lackadaisical approach as of late. The company has become comfortable, IMO, and no longer puts it's "foot on the gas". In order for technology to advance and be better for consumers, the tech titans have to push hard and all the time.

Apple should be leading hands down in voice computing, for example. No excuse for having such a huge head start with Siri the way they did and now finding themselves playing catch-up to Amazon and Google.

The company also needs to be more transparent, specifically regarding user data. What exactly are they collecting and when. I should be able to log into my Apple account and see exactly what they've logged regarding my usage. That information is no where to be found.

Lastly, on products. All device features should be usable out of the box. If you're selling me a feature on a device, such as fast charging or wireless charging, include whatever equipment I need to utilize said feature along with the device. None of this "sold separately" business.

Last edited:

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
How restrictive iOS is. Siri has stalled while others have progressed. Dont like how Homekit doesnt use manufacturer logins. Carplay is becoming a pain when resuming from a call. Everything you need to buy to use all the features is ridiculously expensive and some should be included (fast charger).

My biggest complaint, and Im sorry if this offends anyone, alot of Apple users.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I really dislike how much of a business Apple has become. By that I mean it’s more about numbers than the customers. So that falls under the same umbrella as user experience, innovation, and so on. While I know Apple innovates, they spend most of their time innovating the chipsets rather than the feature sets. At some point in the not too distant future Apple is going to lose business by not adding in features that people want. They’ve gone and fragmented iOS 11 having three different versions of it for iPad, LCD iPhones, and OLED iPhones. There’s not a huge difference between the products in each family. Definitely not enough to justify to cost increases for the “higher end” models. So yeah, Apple is bland. It won’t stop me from using their products yet as they still work best for my own workflow, but come on Apple, Steve Jobs couldn’t have been the only idea man you had.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The greed in their pricing. I mean I’m going to pay whatever they ask. I always have. But an iPhone now costing $1149? Apple care $200? It’s like $1450 after tax if you pay retail. It’s not just the phone. MacBook Pro’s and all have sky rocketed in the past couple of years.

Greed is what I don’t like about Apple.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
The greed in their pricing. I mean I’m going to pay whatever they ask. I always have. But an iPhone now costing $1149? Apple care $200? It’s like $1450 after tax if you pay retail. It’s not just the phone. MacBook Pro’s and all have sky rocketed in the past couple of years.

Greed is what I don’t like about Apple.

I couldn't agree more. I'd like to add the innovation has slowed as well in their apps. I wish they would put a little more into their apps.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Why would Apple having a lot of people using their products and services bother you?

The amount of people doesnt bother me in the least. The general attitude of alot of Apple users is what bothers me. Theres a certain amount of snobishness this comes with the crowd.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Apple should be leading hands down in voice computing, for example. No excuse for having such a huge head start with Siri the way they did and now finding themselves playing catch-up to Amazon and Google.

Amen brother! This is so true. A simple (or at least I think it's simple) command to "turn on my flashlight" results in "Sorry but I'm not able to do that." If you ask Google, not only does your flashlight turn on, the "switch" is shown on the screen for when you are ready to turn it off. (You can also turn off the flashlight via voice) Alexa can serve as a smart hub and can do MUCH with lights, provided you have the right equipment. You get my point. ;)

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The amount of people doesnt bother me in the least. The general attitude of alot of Apple users is what bothers me. Theres a certain amount of snobishness this comes with the crowd.

It's a BIT dated since BlackBerry is included, BUT it's still kinda fun.....

HOW-SMARTPHONE-USERS-SEE-EACH-OTHER.jpg

And Windows Phone.....

how-smartphone-users-see-windows-phone-users.jpg

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711