What do you NOT LIKE about Apple?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of things that bother me about Apple.

1) The OS is STALE. For all intents and purposes, it's pretty much the same thing it's always been. Same grid of icons that you can't arrange how you'd like. And the feature adds with each new version of iOS seem to get cheesier and cheesier. I'm sorry, but the iMessage fireworks and Animoji are a joke. They're so targeted to tweens it isn't even funny. Give us split screen apps on iPhones. Give us picture in picture. And for the love of all things holy, lump notifications together. These are things that are actually useful. Not the stupid iMessage features.

2) The arrogance that they can charge whatever the eff they want because we all will pay it anyway. The X is a great phone, but $1400+ after taxes and AC+ is ridiculous. Apple products have always been expensive, but they're getting into the realm of "can I feed my family something other than Ramen this week if I buy their products" pricing.

3) They really don't seem to innovate anymore. They are a tech GIANT. They should be pushing the envelope on everything. It would make Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and others much better as well. Which only benefits us, the consumer. To me they seem to be complacent and lackadaisical anymore. Pretty much resigned to going with the flow because they know it'll make them money and please investors.

4) I also agree with what Tyler said above, a lot of Apple users kind of annoy me. They seem to worship Apple and apologize for everything that Apple does. And they refuse to look outside of the Apple box. There are better products out there, and we all should expect Apple to do more.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of things that bother me about Apple.

1) The OS is STALE. For all intents and purposes, it's pretty much the same thing it's always been. Same grid of icons that you can't arrange how you'd like. And the feature adds with each new version of iOS seem to get cheesier and cheesier. I'm sorry, but the iMessage fireworks and Animoji are a joke. They're so targeted to tweens it isn't even funny. Give us split screen apps on iPhones. Give us picture in picture. And for the love of all things holy, lump notifications together. These are things that are actually useful. Not the stupid iMessage features.

2) The arrogance that they can charge whatever the eff they want because we all will pay it anyway. The X is a great phone, but $1400+ after taxes and AC+ is ridiculous. Apple products have always been expensive, but they're getting into the realm of "can I feed my family something other than Ramen this week if I buy their products" pricing.

3) They really don't seem to innovate anymore. They are a tech GIANT. They should be pushing the envelope on everything. It would make Google, Amazon, Microsoft, and others much better as well. Which only benefits us, the consumer. To me they seem to be complacent and lackadaisical anymore. Pretty much resigned to going with the flow because they know it'll make them money and please investors.

4) I also agree with what Tyler said above, a lot of Apple users kind of annoy me. They seem to worship Apple and apologize for everything that Apple does. And they refuse to look outside of the Apple box. There are better products out there, and we all should expect Apple to do more.

The customer still control the price point, but we as a whole, have forgotten that. I don’t blame Apple for our decision to buy their products at the price they place on them. It’s not their fault if we give in to the price. That’s on us and apparently Apple hasn’t reached a price point that a majority of consumers overwhelmingly rejects.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't particularly like their liberal stances on things. I mean, I really, really like their stance on inclusion. I've been to an Apple Store where I've been helped by a man in a wheelchair, a deaf person, a girl wearing a hijab, and a guy who looked to have some sort of paralysis. Each of those experiences for me were exactly the same; pleasurable. But there are just some things about them that reek of Wall Street and not Silicon Valley. Garz's post #14 is a perfect example of that. They are a big business looking for big margins but they get a pass on being very Wall Street, bottom "line-y".

Edit: I think what I meant to say was how they take liberal stances on certain things but in reality they are the very antithesis of that as a corporation.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The customer still control the price point, but we as a whole, have forgotten that. I don’t blame Apple for our decision to buy their products at the price they place on them. It’s not their fault if we give in to the price. That’s on us and apparently Apple hasn’t reached a price point where a majority of consumers overwhelmingly rejects.

Exactly. Every year more people complain about Apple's prices and yet they sell like hotcakes all year. Until the consumer actually speaks with their wallet, why would they stop raising prices?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't like that Apple feels the entitlement it has, but they do come out with quality products. I mean, you can't fault a company for doing that.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
That a beta was needed with months of testing and the end result is two rather unimportant features and stability improvements.

anon(9570400)

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
The amount of people doesnt bother me in the least. The general attitude of alot of Apple users is what bothers me. Theres a certain amount of snobishness this comes with the crowd.

As true as that is, I find the Android camp far and above more abrasive. I don’t think Apple has the exclusive on obnoxious fanboys. I do find though that one thing the Apple camp has is people who take any criticism of any Apple product personally, as though they had designed and built it with their bare hands.

anon(9570400)

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
The biggest thing that irritates me with Apple is that, seemingly since Jobs passed away, they try to cram as many features as possible, without focusing on quality and stability. “It just works” was a motto that applied ten years ago. Now, it’s shocking how some half baked features make it in to releases, with fixes taking months to arrive. I would take two new stable features over 10 half baked ones any day.

There was a time where emojis would not be the major bullet points for a release, too. Once upon a time that would have quietly slipped in.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The one thing that grinds my teeth is Apple’s insistence on hailing every little feature of their products as the most life-changing, ground-breaking, advanced thing in the world. The iPhone X is the most beautifully designed piece of hardware any smartphone manufacturer has ever made, in my opinion. That said, there isn’t much that the iPhone X does that other smartphone makers haven’t been doing for a while now. OLED isn’t new by any means, wireless charging has been around for years, and facial recognition isn’t new either (although Apple admittedly raised the bar with Face ID). It seems Apple has really fallen behind from a vision and innovation standpoint. Their “let’s take a bunch of features that already exist and just do it better” approach isn’t innovative.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that grinds my teeth is Apple’s insistence on hailing every little feature of their products as the most life-changing, ground-breaking, advanced thing in the world. The iPhone X is the most beautifully designed piece of hardware any smartphone manufacturer has ever made, in my opinion. That said, there isn’t much that the iPhone X does that other smartphone makers haven’t been doing for a while now. OLED isn’t new by any means, wireless charging has been around for years, and facial recognition isn’t new either (although Apple admittedly raised the bar with Face ID). It seems Apple has really fallen behind from a vision and innovation standpoint. Their “let’s take a bunch of features that already exist and just do it better” approach isn’t innovative.

For the most part I agree with you. I have used both Samsung and Apple devices for a number of years. I like the Note line for all the things it can do even though some do end up being less useful than advertised or half baked. I expect that from Samsung, and they have actually done a better job lately of being at least a little more focused.

On the other hand I look to Apple to do things right. I love my iPhones because I can pick them up and know it's going to work the first time. They have historically been late with features, but they consistently take things a notch (no pun intended) with the quality and presentation. I would say that was true with Face ID on the iPhone X, but that is about it. iOS 11 is the worst software update Apple has put out that I can remember. It certainly has not been terrible, but by Apple standards, it has not been good. So I guess while I am all for innovation, I really look to Apple to do things right, even if that means being late to the game. They seem to be trying to do a little of each and missing on both right now. Beautiful phones are great, but software is more important than ever and right now Apple is struggling in that area, in my opinion.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
For the most part I agree with you. I have used both Samsung and Apple devices for a number of years. I like the Note line for all the things it can do even though some do end up being less useful than advertised or half baked. I expect that from Samsung, and they have actually done a better job lately of being at least a little more focused.

On the other hand I look to Apple to do things right. I love my iPhones because I can pick them up and know it's going to work the first time. They have historically been late with features, but they consistently take things a notch (no pun intended) with the quality and presentation. I would say that was true with Face ID on the iPhone X, but that is about it. iOS 11 is the worst software update Apple has put out that I can remember. It certainly has not been terrible, but by Apple standards, it has not been good. So I guess while I am all for innovation, I really look to Apple to do things right, even if that means being late to the game. They seem to be trying to do a little of each and missing on both right now. Beautiful phones are great, but software is more important than ever and right now Apple is struggling in that area, in my opinion.

So what do we disagree on then?
There definitely needs to be a balance there. Some of the things that keep me buying Apple products, aside from my huge investment in the ecosystem, are reliability, security, and ease of use. I think Apple does a good job with all of those things. I’ve actually been pretty content with iOS 11, especially as an iPad user. That said, I see the scales tipped away from the innovative company Apple once was. It seems they prefer to rely on other smartphone makers to come up with new ideas and don’t bring much to the table other than a few gimmicky features here and there. One of the things that originally attracted me to Apple was its uncanny ability to figure out what users needed or wanted before they even asked for it. Today...not so much. They like to force their beliefs on what they think users need, but they don’t always get it right. Some examples...no type A USB ports on the latest MacBook Pros, ditching the MagSafe adapter (which I have always adored), removing the headphone jack, etc.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Apple products and have no plans to switch anytime soon. I just think they’ve lost their edge.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Exactly. Every year more people complain about Apple's prices and yet they sell like hotcakes all year. Until the consumer actually speaks with their wallet, why would they stop raising prices?

Classic Apple, at the last Keynote Tim Cook was talking about the new iMac Pro and then bragging that they kept it under 5000 dollars! 4999! OMFG that's an insane price for a computer! lol

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So what do we disagree on then?
There definitely needs to be a balance there. Some of the things that keeps me buying Apple products, aside from my huge investment in the ecosystem, are reliability, security, and ease of use. I think Apple does a good job with all of those things. I’ve actually been pretty content with iOS 11, especially as an iPad user. That said, I see the scales tipped away from the innovative company Apple once was. It seems they prefer to rely on other smartphone makers to come up with new ideas and don’t bring much to the table other than a few gimmicky features here and there. One of the things that originally attracted me to Apple was its uncanny ability to figure out what users needed or wanted before they even asked for it. Today...not so much. They like to force their beliefs on what they think users need, but they don’t always get it right. Some examples...no type A USB ports on the latest MacBook Pros, ditching the MagSafe adapter (which I have always adored), removing the headphone jack, etc.
Don’t get me wrong, I love Apple products and have no plans to switch anytime soon. I just think they’ve lost their edge.

Lol. Yeah I really don’t think I disagree with anything you said actually. I don’t have an iPad right now, but it does look like iOS 11 was geared towards the iPad more than iPhone. My kids have iPad 2’s and use them all the time. I hardly ever touch them. That being said, I have not had nearly the issues that some have had with iOS 11. It just seems to have been the worst update for Apple in a while. Keep in mind that a bad update for Apple is probably considered a success with some OS’s.

I’m not so deep in the ecosystem that I couldn’t get out, but my family is all Apple and life is easier when I am too. Plus I like my Apple Watch and the AirPods are probably the best product Apple has put out in a long time.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Yeah I really don’t think I disagree with anything you said actually. I don’t have an iPad right now, but it does look like iOS 11 was geared towards the iPad more than iPhone. My kids have iPad 2’s and use them all the time. I hardly ever touch them. That being said, I have not had nearly the issues that some have had with iOS 11. It just seems to have been the worst update for Apple in a while. Keep in mind that a bad update for Apple is probably considered a success with some OS’s.

I’m not so deep in the ecosystem that I couldn’t get out, but my family is all Apple and life is easier when I am too. Plus I like my Apple Watch and the AirPods are probably the best product Apple has put out in a long time.

I would agree with you on AirPods if they weren’t $160. There is nothing I can use to justify that cost.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with you on AirPods if they weren’t $160. There is nothing I can use to justify that cost.

I said the same thing, until I used them for a week. I had made fun of them. I had ripped Apple for the price tag. You name it, I said it. Then, after a few months, I happened to catch them in stock at an Apple Store and figured I should at least try them so I could justify my contempt for them and Apple for ripping off customers again. Well, that didn't work out so well. I use them all the time for working out, listening to podcasts or books and phone calls. They are so easy and convenient. I am not saying they are worth it for you. They are not for everyone, but I sure did eat a big old serving of crow after actually using them.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative