Why does Apple not allow third-party keyboards to have a different layout?

Tech2011

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Forgive me, I'm a newbie to iOS. I just got an iPhone 8 Plus after switching from a Note 4 (yes, a Note 4). I may be missing something here, but I think Apple doesn't allow third-party keyboards to have different layouts (i.e. add a number row to the top of the keyboard, change the location of punctuation, etc.) I have to say that I'm disappointed with all of the third-party keyboards on iOS. I loved SwiftKey on my Note 4, but SwiftKey on iOS is significantly more limited than its Android counterpart, and I have to think that's not Microsoft's fault. I just wanted to ask and confirm that my suspicion is correct. Am I correct in assuming that the reason third-party keyboards stink is that Apple severely limits their capabilities?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Apple isn’t big on large amounts of customization. I assume they limit that function to preserve the amount of screen space above the keyboard by keeping it the same size as iOS’s stock keyboard. I myself find the stock keyboard better than the third party options even if there are a couple extra taps here and there.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Apple isn’t big on large amounts of customization. I assume they limit that function to preserve the amount of screen space above the keyboard by keeping it the same size as iOS’s stock keyboard. I myself find the stock keyboard better than the third party options even if there are a couple extra taps here and there.

I agree this assumption and I also find the stock keyboard the better option on iOS. My go to keyboard on android has been swiftkey for many years, but it’s just not the same on iOS. Plus I actually think the stock iOS keyboard is really good so it’s not a big deal.

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
I think another reason Apple limits the functionality of 3rd party keyboards is because of security. Think about it, a 3rd party keyboard COULD be programmed as a keylogger since it is taking the key taps and passing them on to the operating system. (I am not saying they all do). Apple may have decided to just side-step the issue by limiting them.

Tech2011

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I agree that the stock iOS keyboard is better, but my problem is that I have to tap to a second keyboard screen in order to get punctuation. Does anybody at Apple use punctuation in their messages or emails? I guess not since they make it such another step to get to punctuation. I find that to be annoying.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the stock iOS keyboard is better, but my problem is that I have to tap to a second keyboard screen in order to get punctuation. Does anybody at Apple use punctuation in their messages or emails? I guess not since they make it such another step to get to punctuation. I find that to be annoying.

Yeah a lot of people do, but it fits so smoothly into my flow now that I hardly notice it. I still think the iOS 11 iPad keyboard updates should have gone to iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2