What do you say to a guy who…

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
....Hates Apple so much they call it an evil company, but they won't really answer your question if you ask why?

The person in question lives in my building and he is a professional computer repair guy. He has a very strong bias for android phones, he says he can just do more with them. But the problem arose when I was in the elevator and we talked a little and I just discovered two days ago (while in that elevator that moment) that the iOS 11.0.1 update was available. And I was glad I said "ah GOOD, they put out a fix and it's good because a lot of people were having issues with the iOS 11 update." That's when he started to diss Apple saying "they had several betas so why on earth couldn't they get it right the first time it was released to the public!" To which I responded (and at this point I was getting a little miffed) "at least Apple is pretty quick getting the updates out if there are major problems, because if it was android you be waiting probably three months for the update!"

Now I want someone who uses android, and I know many of you do, how long does it take to actually get a patch or updates or any major software update? Because at that point when I said this, I was going by what I read on tech news apps like AppyGeek, which merges many tech news sources into one place and makes it convenient to read all the news.

I just don't think a professional computer repair guy should wear his bias on his sleeve like he did because if I am happy with an iPhone or any other Apple product or even my BlackBerry that I love I don't think others should be judging and dissing. If anything he should be happy people are having problems because it's keeping him in business when he has to repair things. I'm sure Android devices has their issues also.

So what do you say to someone like that? I'm still in shock. He's a cool dude but man he has such bias and a strong negative opinion on Apple but no one's going to change my mind on what I like and I had very good luck with Apple products since my first iPad in October 2010, the original iPad. I know I will run into him again but whatever.

Last edited:

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I usually just ignore them and let them think the way they think. As far as Android updates, it really depends on the company, the phone, and overall popularity. Samsung and LG will push updates quicker than HTC, but not as quickly as Google will push them to the Pixel. My Moto G5 Plus is still sitting on the January 1, 2017 security patch, let alone any software updates, though it is on Nougat.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Cool, yeah the guy was just rude so....

As for Apple being an "evil company" as he says, I think a lot of people are just jealous, I don't know why he would say that I have heard others say it as well. It certainly makes no sense to call a company evil if they tried putting out an update after six days, I call that pretty commendable.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I would just smile and say, “hey, we all have our preferences. If you’re happy with Android devices, that’s great. In the meantime , I’ll I’ll keep on using my iPhone. Thank GOD for choices”.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn’t give the guy the time of day. Let him think what he wants to think. There are way more important things in life.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
“Why would you prefer Apple’s one click updates over scouring the interwebs for hours to find a compatible ROM thingie to flash your Android device with” would be my response while agreeing with him that Apple indeed is a lazy, incompetent company.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I would feel no need to respond to a person such as this. Just move on. Live and let live. You likely aren't going to "convince" him of anything anyway. So why even dive into it?

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
“Why would you prefer Apple’s one click updates over scouring the interwebs for hours to find a compatible ROM thingie to flash your Android device with” would be my response while agreeing with him that Apple indeed is a lazy, incompetent company.

That's a keen response. He would likely have a technological excuse around that one as well because at one point he said "I do this for a living so I know." .......

jr866gooner

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I’m afraid I was one of those between 2009 and 2010...

All the while hating on iPhone probably because it was different and I had no real clue how the apple eco system stitched together being a windows support technician! All the while though I secretly wanted one! My main gripe was the fact I wasn’t able to afford one despite some models being released over a year previous..

I opened my eyes and grew up. I got one to learn about it and to join what is the best “family” as far as smartphones go. The stores are by far the most enjoyable to shop in and staff always friendly too. If I was in retail still I’d love to work there.

My colleague is like this and I asked him what he hated about apple and he ignored me simply because I said the word apple... he even configured iMacs when customers want them over our windows environment!

I see benefits in both OS’s but nowadays am very settled with my iPhone and iPad.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
....Hates Apple so much they call it an evil company, but they won't really answer your question if you ask why?

The person in question lives in my building and he is a professional computer repair guy. He has a very strong bias for android phones, he says he can just do more with them. But the problem arose when I was in the elevator and we talked a little and I just discovered two days ago (while in that elevator that moment) that the iOS 11.0.1 update was available. And I was glad I said "ah GOOD, they put out a fix and it's good because a lot of people were having issues with the iOS 11 update." That's when he started to diss Apple saying "they had several betas so why on earth couldn't they get it right the first time it was released to the public!" To which I responded (and at this point I was getting a little miffed) "at least Apple is pretty quick getting the updates out if there are major problems, because if it was android you be waiting probably three months for the update!"

Now I want someone who uses android, and I know many of you do, how long does it take to actually get a patch or updates or any major software update? Because at that point when I said this, I was going by what I read on tech news apps like AppyGeek, which merges many tech news sources into one place and makes it convenient to read all the news.

I just don't think a professional computer repair guy should wear his bias on his sleeve like he did because if I am happy with an iPhone or any other Apple product or even my BlackBerry that I love I don't think others should be judging and dissing. If anything he should be happy people are having problems because it's keeping him in business when he has to repair things. I'm sure Android devices has their issues also.

So what do you say to someone like that? I'm still in shock. He's a cool dude but man he has such bias and a strong negative opinion on Apple but no one's going to change my mind on what I like and I had very good luck with Apple products since my first iPad in October 2010, the original iPad. I know I will run into him again but whatever.

You get that on both sides of the aisle. People have their bias and what they like and cannot convince them (or talk to them otherwise). I mean just look at the political climate anymore. Very rarely can you have a discussion with someone who has different views than you do without getting bashed. Just let it go.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
He's human. He has his preference, and he has every right to have his preferences. I don't know why people take criticisms to heart. So he dissed Apple. Okay. It's not like he dissed you personally.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Eradicating dumbness has always been the main goals of humanity.
I get why he wants to dive in, but I agree with the majority that a simple chuckling towards the guy will achieve more
I don't think that the person the OP is dealing with is likely "dumb". He might be uninformed, misinformed, or even just a jerk. But he's probably not "dumb".

And it doesn't sound like the person would be susceptible to being "educated" or informed by the OP on this issue.

So, likely not worth the effort.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I’d agree with the majority here... don’t waste your breath. I used to get into Apple vs Android conversations but have realised that no matter what is said, almost no one ever changes their viewpoint as a result even if you can categorically show whatever they say to be false.

When I see this sort of stuff now it does make me question the mentality of the person. It doesn’t have to be phones, or computers, it could be taste in music or whatever really. What does is it say about someone who sees someone else enjoying something and they feel the need to try to rubbish that thing? Rather than doing something constructive with their life, they’re trying to make someone else’s life unhappy. That’s just a bit pathetic.

You use the “professional” more than once to describe this person. Professional only means they make money from it. The people who stack the shelves in my local supermarket are also professionals but it doesn’t necessarily mean they know which is the best loaf of bread.

Be happy with whatever you have/like and don’t ever feel that you need to justify those choices to anyone. I mostly roll my eyes and walk away these days

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not in the United States. We're actually regressing in that regard. Just look at the current political administration, as an example. But that's neither here nor there.

Or look at the "celebrities" kids look up to. No wonder people are getting dumber.

KrisYYC

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
I'm one of those odd ones that doesn't sit in either camp. I appreciate each (Apple and Android or Microsoft) for what each of them do well.

With smartphones I've mostly used Android until recently buying an iPhone 8. I wanted to give iOS a try again. I'll probably go back and forth. I like the flexibility of Android; customization options and more manual camera controls etc. However I like iOS efficiency, reliability, iMessage, touch ID and Apple Pay. Also I buy all of my phones outright and unlocked, Apple's post purchase customer support and software updates are best in the industry by far. This is why I don't think iPhone's are overpriced. If you buy the latest iPhone available you can realistically use that phone for 3 years. Apple's software support of past generation devices means it will still be relevant. Android phones like that are few and far between. Closest would be the Nexus/Pixel line, but that's because Google is in control. Not a carrier or manufacturer like Samsung etc. OP your question about Android patches for bugs with software: You can only count of prompt bug fixes if you have a Nexus/Pixel.

With computers I'm a PC/Windows guy, but that's because I'm knowledgeable enough to build my own PC's and pick and choose my hardware. I recognize that MAC's are good machines for those who just want a powerful machine that's reliable and will be for years.

For tablets I'm an iPad guy. Apple can't be touched here with the exception of the Surface Pro. But seeing as I don't need a tablet for work, the iPad is the best for my use. Android tablets suck.

So until recently I had a Windows PC, Apple tablet, and Android phone lol.

I've met guys like the one the OP is talking about. I think for many of them it's hard for them to understand why Apple is as successful as they are. Not everybody is a tech savvy person and most people just want a device that's easy to use and is reliable. Android has come a long way in that regard and I'd say they're close now, but in the early days at the beginning of the smartphone revolution that was far from the case.

I take a more fair and balanced view :cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR