Pointless to upgrade to iPhone 8 if you have a 7

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

Without even reading the link I agree! Besides I just signed a 2 year contract in March and I was always able to go 3 years before any slowdown effect on apps or processor/loading speeds. Updates will be there for years and I think it is an absolute waste to run out and grab the newest just because there is a new device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I totally agree with the author here. It's completely pointless to upgrade to the iPhone 8 if you already own the 7

If you have an iPhone 7, you should not buy an iPhone 8

Okay so those of us with an iPhone 7/7 Plus shouldn’t buy the iPhone 8/8 Plus. Duly noted! With that in mind, we do all sorts of things we shouldn’t do and buying a new iPhone when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the last one we had is no different. I flat out want an iPhone 8. In fact, I’ve already ordered the iPhone 8 and will pick it up this coming Friday. I’m going to give my youngest son my current iPhone 7 Plus. He needs another phone. I promised him I’d give him my current iPhone. That promise and my deep love for my youngest son trumps ANY logic that dictates that I shouldn’t buy the iPhone 8.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

Okay so those of us with an iPhone 7/7 Plus shouldn’t buy the iPhone 8/8 Plus. Duly noted! With that in mind, we do all sorts of things we shouldn’t do and buying a new iPhone when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the last one we had is no different. I flat out want an iPhone 8. In fact, I’ve already ordered the iPhone 8 and will pick it up this coming Friday. I’m going to give my youngest son my current iPhone 7 Plus. He needs another phone. I promised him I’d give him my current iPhone. That promise and my deep love for my youngest son trumps ANY logic that dictates that I shouldn’t buy the iPhone 8.

Ok so you’re buying a new phone because you made a promise to your son. That’s actually awesome however that doesn’t change anything. It’s still pointless to upgrade. You have a very valid reason to upgrade. This is a general article about how it’s pointless to upgrade not just for the sake of upgrading but because of what you’re getting in an upgrade. Which is nothing but wireless charging and some very minor camera system upgrades. Adding your son into the mix is a totally different circumstance for upgrading. People upgrading because they have to money to and just because also is irrelavent. It’s about is Apple really offering you a reason to upgrade which they aren’t. Personal family reasons and just because you have enough money to isn’t what it’s about. However your opinion is valued, and way to be an awesome father.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Ok so you’re buying a new phone because you made a promise to your son. That’s actually awesome however that doesn’t change anything. It’s still pointless to upgrade. You have a very valid reason to upgrade. This is a general article about how it’s pointless to upgrade not just for the sake of upgrading but because of what you’re getting in an upgrade. Which is nothing but wireless charging and some very minor camera system upgrades. Adding your son into the mix is a totally different circumstance for upgrading. People upgrading because they have to money to and just because also is irrelavent. It’s about is Apple really offering you a reason to upgrade which they aren’t. Personal family reasons and just because you have enough money to isn’t what it’s about. However your opinion is valued, and way to be an awesome father.

True and thank you. With that in mind, the author is forgetting one thing. He or she cannot determine worth for someone else. A new processor, wireless charging, true tone, glass backing may be worthless to some users but straight up worthwhile to others, and for the author to make the decision for everyone that we shouldn’t get the iPhone 8 if we already have an iPhone 7 is telling us that we are too stupid to determine what is worthwhile and what is not, and I resent that. If a newer device contain specs and features that my current device does not have and I want the newer specs and features then I should get it. It’s my money and my choice to make. Not the author’s or anyone else’s....

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

True and thank you. With that in mind, the author is forgetting one thing. He or she cannot determine worth for someone else. A new processor, wireless charging, true tone, glass backing may be worthless to some users but straight up worthwhile to others, and for the author to make the decision for everyone that we shouldn’t get the iPhone 8 if we already have an iPhone 7 is telling us that we are too stupid to determine what is worthwhile and what is not, and I resent that. If a newer device contain specs and features that my current device does not have and I want the newer specs and features then I should get it. It’s my money and my choice to make. Not the author’s or anyone else’s....

This article is geared to the average consumer who are wondering if they should upgrade. Not the iPhone nerds who want the A11 bionic processor or to lay there phone down at Starbucks. It's for the average consumer. Should I pay an extra 100$ that's probably not laying around considering the current economy, or am I fine with the iPhone 7 for another year. Which the answer is a resounding yes you're totally fine with the iPhone 7 for another year. Shoot you even have a bigger battery on your iPhone 7. I mean now for a person who is into specs and all of those things then yes I'm sure you can find TONS of value. But for the average person it really isn't a good sell to upgrade. It's just not. You can try and make a case for it all day but there isn't one. Unless you've been yearning for wireless charging or a phone that has glass on the back then no. And yes the author is assuming there to stupid to decide as he should. People looking for upgrade advice are doing it for a reason don't you think? Because they don't know if they should or not lol. That's exactly who the article is for.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

This article is geared to the average consumer who are wondering if they should upgrade. Not the iPhone nerds who want the A11 bionic processor or to lay there phone down at Starbucks. It's for the average consumer. Should I pay an extra 100$ that's probably not laying around considering the current economy, or am I fine with the iPhone 7 for another year. Which the answer is a resounding yes you're totally fine with the iPhone 7 for another year. Shoot you even have a bigger battery on your iPhone 7. I mean now for a person who is into specs and all of those things then yes I'm sure you can find TONS of value. But for the average person it really isn't a good sell to upgrade. It's just not. You can try and make a case for it all day but there isn't one. Unless you've been yearning for wireless charging or a phone that has glass on the back then no. And yes the author is assuming there to stupid to decide as he should. People looking for upgrade advice are doing it for a reason don't you think? Because they don't know if they should or not lol. That's exactly who the article is for.

Oh I know. If you’ve been around iMore long enough, you’d know I play devil’s advocate quite a bit. I don’t mean any harm and it’s primarily to remind people that there’s always a second viewpoint.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

Everyone has their own needs and will benefit from different features. I'll be updating my 81 year old mother from a 7 to an 8. The deciding factor is that she has very shaky hands and has trouble plugging in the lightning cable. A wireless charger will save her aggravation and embarrassment. That alone is worth the upgrade.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Doesn't bother me a bit. I am going from ip7 to ip8. My cell bill doesn't go up at all so I'm good and can't wait for my space grey ip8 256gb

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I think every upgrade is worth it no matter what. As long as you have extra cash of course 🤣

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

OK so looks like I'm the only person in here that actually signed a two year contract and I'm locked in. If I actually break this iPhone 7 I'm more than happy getting another iPhone 7 as we are allowed 2 replacements in that two-year period. The iPhone 7 will be plenty fast for that full two years. Even my blackberry 9900 is still fast enough but still people would complain regardless just because they can in some situations, and that applies to anything.

And my iPhone 5c with absolutely no problems for three years regarding speed but it was slowing down near the end. The 7 to 8, even if I wasn't on a contract for me isn't worth it. Despite the flash of wireless charging and a very minor camera bump. People can do whatever they want but for most I'm willing to bet it's not worth the upgrade, even though there have been a couple of good reasons in here to upgrade. But for the mass majority I doubt it is worth it unless there is some debilitating physical issue as mentioned.

Let's wait for the speed test benchmarks and I'll bet they will be minimal in comparison between the two devices.

Just like all the tech reporters said there really isn't much different if you already have a 6S there was probably no point in upgrading to a seven unless you absolutely had to have a waterproof phone and stereo speakers. But for me the upgrade from the 5C to the seven was like taking off in a rocketship and being blasted into another solar system, the difference was definitely noticeable and that was definitely worth it and necessary.

Last edited:

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

Everyone has their own needs and will benefit from different features. I'll be updating my 81 year old mother from a 7 to an 8. The deciding factor is that she has very shaky hands and has trouble plugging in the lightning cable. A wireless charger will save her aggravation and embarrassment. That alone is worth the upgrade.

That is worth the upgrade.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

b4108e8f86f01f2d229423ed7cbeab0f.png

Here is a nice little comparison chart

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

Well said

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

EXACTLY. I sometimes wonder why I upgrade to the latest, greatest iPhone and the I remember ...because I want to.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

I totally agree with the author here. It's completely pointless to upgrade to the iPhone 8 if you already own the 7

If you have an iPhone 7, you should not buy an iPhone 8

No consumer is forced to upgrade to 8. And no one is gonna upgrade to 8 just because others do. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and needs and makes their own choices. If the author is trying to help someone who wants to know if the upgrade is necessary then it should be an advice or a suggestion not a conclusion.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I agree with the author here. Apple really isn't giving us anything in the iPhone 8 that justifies the upgrade from a 7, in my opinion. So I have no intentions on upgrading to a more expensive device when there won't be a noticeable difference compared to my 7 Plus. In fact, the 8 Plus 256 GB configuration is actually more expensive than the 7 Plus 256 GB was at release. So it's not even like it's an even upgrade. It's pricier all around. And their lackluster presentation of it didn't impress me enough to justify the costs. That's also the overwhelming opinion around my office.

I'm currently debating on the iPhone X. It's pretty pricy as well and I'm weighing on if it offers enough to justify the extra cost for the device AND for AppleCare+. Apple is expensive this year, lol.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

Honestly, for me 7 vs. 8 would have been a tough call even though I'm on the Upgrade Program which makes it easy just to say "give me the latest" since it costs basically the same per month. I mean the new glass back design and wireless charging are nice but not necessarily a must have for me. The one big draw since I do a lot of photo editing on my PC and can understand the benefit is the true tone display that matches the display to your ambient lighting. Thankfully the X is coming though and once I saw the reveal on it I knew I was going to get it even if it takes a bit due to shortages. I can wait, cause the X might be the one I hold onto for 2 years.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711