Which new iPhone (X, 8, or 8 Plus) is the best value?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
For what you get, I think the 256gb iPhone 8 Plus is the best value @ $949. The iPhone X just seems overpriced. When aspect ratio is considered, the 8 Plus actually has more screen area than the X. I like the wider screen of the 8 Plus in comparison to the taller skinny X. Here's a comparison with the X screen overlaid on top of the 8 Plus screen:
f3de5a0d21daacf0ac6b29e947b69dff.jpg

The 8 Plus has some nice new features to consider as well. So with all things considered, the 256gb 8 Plus is the best value, IMO.
256gb iPhone X - $1,149
256gb iPhone 8 Plus - $949
I really can't see paying $200 more for the X. Apple seems to be setting us up for higher prices on all models going forward. The next couple of years will be interesting to see.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
For what you get, I think the 256gb iPhone 8 Plus is the best value @ $949. The iPhone X just seems overpriced. When aspect ratio is considered, the 8 Plus actually has more screen area than the X. I like the wider screen of the 8 Plus in comparison to the taller skinny X. Here's a comparison with the X screen overlaid on top of the 8 Plus screen:
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170916/f3de5a0d21daacf0ac6b29e947b69dff.jpg

The 8 Plus has some nice new features to consider as well. So with all things considered, the 256gb 8 Plus is the best value, IMO.
256gb iPhone X - $1,149
I really can't see paying $200 more for the X. Apple seems to be setting us up for higher prices on all models going forward. The next couple of years will be interesting to see.

I couldn’t agree more

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Talking strictly value here I’d have to go with the iPhone 8. It’s the least expensive of the lineup and is just as powerful as the 8 Plus and X. Design aside, I’d say the jump from the 7 to the 8 is much larger than from the 8 to X.

Which one am I going to get? Definitely the iPhone X. I’m not as price sensitive as many so the cost factor doesn’t really come into play.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Talking strictly value here I’d have to go with the iPhone 8. It’s the least expensive of the lineup and is just as powerful as the 8 Plus and X. Design aside, I’d say the jump from the 7 to the 8 is much larger than from the 8 to X.

Which one am I going to get? Definitely the iPhone X. I’m not as price sensitive as many so the cost factor doesn’t really come into play.

Exactly this Rob...Couldn't have written that any better. Bring on the "X"

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

256gb iPhone X - $1,149

I'm thinking that the Polished Surgical Stainless Steel frame, Face recognition and OLED screen has a lot to do with the $200 difference in price between the 8 Plus and the X and not just the edge to edge and/or screen size.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking that the Polished Surgical Stainless Steel frame, Face recognition and OLED screen has a lot to do with the $200 difference in price between the 8 Plus and the X and not just the edge to edge and/or screen size.

The screen size is just a personal preference. I like the wider screen aspect ratio of the 8 Plus better than that of the X. The 8 has the same, but it's too small. That only adds value for me, and maybe others as well. To each their own I suppose. Oled and a stainless steel frame don't excite me. Those animoji excite me more, but don't have to have. I'm ready to see what next year brings.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The screen size is just a personal preference. I like the wider screen aspect ratio of the 8 Plus better than that of the X. The 8 has the same, but it's too small. That only adds value for me, and maybe others as well. To each their own I suppose. Oled and a stainless steel frame don't excite me. Those animoji excite me more, but don't have to have. I'm ready to see what next year brings.

I agree, personal preference is very important. I was just stating why the iPhone X is $200 more even though the edge to edge screen is actually smaller than the Plus. It's not $200 more just because of edge to edge.

Last edited:

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
For what you get, I think the 256gb iPhone 8 Plus is the best value @ $949. The iPhone X just seems overpriced. When aspect ratio is considered, the 8 Plus actually has more screen area than the X. I like the wider screen of the 8 Plus in comparison to the taller skinny X.

Here's a comparison with the X screen overlaid on top of the 8 Plus screen:

256gb iPhone X - $1,149

I agree. I prefer the wider screen of the Plus too and the (slightly) cheaper price tag is better too of course. I’ll be upgrading from a 6 so all the improvements will definitely be a “plus” for me. 😁

jayzero76

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
i have an iphone 7 plus and like it. last year i had a hard time upgrade from the iphone 6 plus. this year there is no reason to upgrade. honestly it is a iphone 6sss. thats all it is. what is even the reason to call it iphone 8? when i see how many different iphones are in the line up. i like apple because it is simple. go in the apple store and ether buy the iphone 8 or maybe iphone 6s and thats all. but now there are so many different devices and worst there are almost all the same. so people go in the store and not sure waht to get

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I don't think the surgical stainless steel frame plays a part in the cost difference at all. I think it's some of the display differences, some of the camera differences, and Face ID that makes the cost difference so much.

i have an iphone 7 plus and like it. last year i had a hard time upgrade from the iphone 6 plus. this year there is no reason to upgrade. honestly it is a iphone 6sss. thats all it is. what is even the reason to call it iphone 8? when i see how many different iphones are in the line up. i like apple because it is simple. go in the apple store and ether buy the iphone 8 or maybe iphone 6s and thats all. but now there are so many different devices and worst there are almost all the same. so people go in the store and not sure waht to get

I disagree. When comparing them side by side on the Apple site, there's a ton of upgrades between the 7 and the 8. Too many are saying they're the same phone without actually looking at the differences between them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...When comparing them side by side on the Apple site, there's a ton of upgrades between the 7 and the 8. Too many are saying they're the same phone without actually looking at the differences between them.
‘Nuf said.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't think the surgical stainless steel frame plays a part in the cost difference at all. I think it's some of the display differences, some of the camera differences, and Face ID that makes the cost difference so much.

I disagree. When comparing them side by side on the Apple site, there's a ton of upgrades between the 7 and the 8. Too many are saying they're the same phone without actually looking at the differences between them.

What matters is if those differences matter to you. To many they don't.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What matters is if those differences matter to you. To many they don't.

When comparing the phones and stating they're the same, it's not about what matters. It's the actual differences (hardware/software) that make them different phones.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
When comparing the phones and stating they're the same, it's not about what matters. It's the actual differences (hardware/software) that make them different phones.

From a purely physical standpoint, yes. But we all have different perspectives on whether those changes matter. That's why I believe many people say they're not "different". What they mean is there is nothing new that compels them or draws them to the phone. It's deeper than physical differences.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't really think any of these phones are good value, look at how much tax and insurance you are going to have to add to the retail price. And then consider that the intended life of a phone is only about two years (before it starts to slow down). So,what,$600-$800 a year, just for a smartphone ?!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't really think any of these phones are good value, look at how much tax and insurance you are going to have to add to the retail price. And then consider that the intended life of a phone is only about two years (before it starts to slow down). So,what,$600-$800 a year, just for a smartphone ?!!

These phones will last a lot longer than 2 years. Might need a new battery after 2 years for power heavy users like me, but many users can go 3 or 4 years on the original battery. My wife's old 5c still has over 90% battery life after 4 years use. I don't ever buy the Applecare+. Instead, I use a good protective case. That's worked great for me, and has been less expensive than buying the insurance. Perceived value will differ from user to user. Are they worth the cost? A $649 iPhone 7 cost Apple about $225 for manufacturing and components. While this doesn't include other development costs such as R&D, it still makes one wonder if they might could charge less and still make a healthy profit margin. But the bottom line is that it's worth what people are willing to pay. And that may not be a good value to some. It is what it is.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Just about everything you buy is taxed. It is what it is.

Apple phones last quite a few years, and are even supported for quite a few. I still have my 6s and it's running just as fast as the first day I bought it, especially with iOS 11 on it. Pretty sure this 6s has at least 4 or 5 more years left on it. The 5 was supported for 5 years before Apple decided the software no longer supported the hardware. Most everyone I personally know that owns an iPhone either has some iteration of the 5 or a 6 and their phones are running just fine. This is one of the main reasons I ditched Android... Apple supports their phones for many years, compared to the two years they support theirs. I got tired of spending 6 hundred or more on a phone that will only get updates for 2 years... if lucky.

Apple makes good solid premium phones, and you only buy a new smartphone every year if you want to. It's not necessary or mandatory unless there's an issue with your current phone.

Typically I keep my phone until it starts to have real issues with the way it runs (not OS related issues). For the first time I want a new phone for nothing more than updated specs, and for me personally the price is not an issue.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

It's not so much about being price sensitive.

I am just not one of Apple's sheep. They need to deliver something a bit more... monumental if they want me to pay the price of a MacBook for an iPhone.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
They need to deliver something a bit more... monumental if they want me to pay the price of a MacBook for an iPhone.

Well that is technically price sensitivity. The steep price of the iPhone X is affecting your buying decision.

Financial definitions aside, I understand what you’re saying.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods