To play devils advocate here... Apple says the new Face ID technology built into iPhone x is much more secure than using a fingerprint. The chances of someone being able to pick up your phone and unlock it with their face (hehe, that just sounds funny) is 1,000,000 to 1.

I believe them, but what do you think? Will there be any way for people to get around it?
    09-12-2017 03:03 PM
    We’ll have to see, but I’m betting on Apple here with the whole 3D mapping element.
    09-12-2017 03:56 PM
    I wonder what would happen with identical twins.
    09-12-2017 04:05 PM
    I wonder what would happen with identical twins.
    Identical twins still have differences it would pick up.
    09-12-2017 04:09 PM
    Identical twins still have differences it would pick up.
    That I didn't know, thanks!
    09-12-2017 04:16 PM
    I’m not concerned about it’s security.

Knowing Apple they would really have done their homework.

Apple is the largest smartphone producer and is already being scrutinized by everybody.

They have even less margin for error then their competitors and thus they will have to act accordingly.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    09-12-2017 04:17 PM
    Was there any mention of adding more than one face? Some folks share one device.
    09-12-2017 04:49 PM
    Was there any mention of adding more than one face? Some folks share one device.
    I’m sure there will be 5 faces supported.
    09-12-2017 04:50 PM
    Right now my concern is with the ongoing threat of a "police state" and the fact that now your phone can't be searched w/o a court order and/or the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open. A big + for iOS 11 is the fast lock, to remove the thumbprint option and force the code. Now with the "Face" they just hold it up to your face and open your phone. The only thing you can do is close your eyes or turn your head. But it will be much easier to force someone to "open the phone".. so there's that.
    Just_Me_D and bluesqueen23 like this.
    09-12-2017 04:50 PM
    Right now my concern is with the ongoing threat of a "police state" and the fact that now your phone can't be searched w/o a court order and/or the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open. A big + for iOS 11 is the fast lock, to remove the thumbprint option and force the code. Now with the "Face" they just hold it up to your face and open your phone. The only thing you can do is close your eyes or turn your head. But it will be much easier to force someone to "open the phone".. so there's that.
    Same goes for fingerprint, they can hold your finger and it’s unlocked.
    You’re not making the point you think you’re making.
    09-12-2017 05:12 PM
    Same goes for fingerprint, they can hold your finger and it’s unlocked.
    You’re not making the point you think you’re making.
    The point I am making is now you can "lock out the fingerprint" quickly.. with the "panic option" (if it's still working after iOS 11 GM).. but you won't with iPhone X since there is no home button.
    09-12-2017 05:22 PM
    the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open

What are you talking about?
    09-12-2017 05:23 PM
    The point I am making is now you can "lock out the fingerprint" quickly.. with the "panic option" (if it's still working after iOS 11 GM).. but you won't with iPhone X since there is no home button.
    That’s not true. You can choose to disable Face ID the same way.
    Instead of asking to scan your face it will show the option to enter your passcode.
    09-12-2017 05:24 PM
    If you think authorities can’t coerce users into giving up their passcode think again.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-for-refusin/

The point is that the police can get into your phone if they really want to. Most people, including myself, aren’t willing to face jail time because they didn’t want to unlock their phone.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-12-2017 05:47 PM
    What are you talking about?
    Courts have already sided with police, that if they can get your finger prints when arrested, they can force you to use your finger prints to open your phone. Pointing a phone at your face is just as likely to be allowed. If you use the new "panic mode" (working on the last beta).. you can quickly turn off "touch to open." Courts have not sided with forcing people to give their pass-codes to open phones.
    09-12-2017 05:48 PM
    Probably a lot more secure than fingerprints, but then I have seen pictures sent to me of someone that looks almost like it could be identical twins of myself of some guy in Italy and when I showed family members, they honestly could not tell the difference!
    The odds that he will ever get his hands on MY IPHONE are pretty low

No tech is perfect I find it interesting they were able to have the face technology be able to tell the difference between a mask or a photograph. Cutting edge stuff.
    09-12-2017 05:56 PM
    Courts have already sided with police, that if they can get your finger prints when arrested, they can force you to use your finger prints to open your phone. Pointing a phone at your face is just as likely to be allowed. If you use the new "panic mode" (working on the last beta).. you can quickly turn off "touch to open." Courts have not sided with forcing people to give their pass-codes to open phones.
    They can court order you to open a phone with your fingerprints, and you can refuse if you want to suffer the consequences. Now weather or not they can physically hold you down and force your finger onto the phone is another story.

They can court order you to unlock your phone with Face ID, but your face and eyes must be properly lined up to get it open. If you don't want it open, don't open your eyes and scrunch your face all up. The guy said during the event that if your eyes are closed and your face isn't lined up, it's not going to open.
    09-12-2017 06:11 PM
    They can court order you to open a phone with your fingerprints, and you can refuse if you want to suffer the consequences. Now weather or not they can physically hold you down and force your finger onto the phone is another story.

They can court order you to unlock your phone with Face ID, but your face and eyes must be properly lined up to get it open. If you don't want it open, don't open your eyes and scrunch your face all up. The guy said during the event that if your eyes are closed and your face isn't lined up, it's not going to open.
    But they "can't" order you to open it with a code.
    09-12-2017 06:14 PM
    If you think authorities can’t coerce users into giving up their passcode think again.

Christopher Wheeler, Florida man, jailed for refusing to disclose smartphone passcode - Washington Times

The point is that the police can get into your phone if they really want to. Most people, including myself, aren’t willing to face jail time because they didn’t want to unlock their phone.

And some who are already in jail, knowing that they're either never getting out or are going to be there for a long time anyway, can still refuse to unlock their phone.
    09-12-2017 06:20 PM
    I didn’t hear any mention of it.
    09-12-2017 06:23 PM
    To play devils advocate here... Apple says the new Face ID technology built into iPhone x is much more secure than using a fingerprint. The chances of someone being able to pick up your phone and unlock it with their face (hehe, that just sounds funny) is 1,000,000 to 1.

I believe them, but what do you think? Will there be any way for people to get around it?
    I think it would be secure enough, but not from someone who forces you to look at the device to unlock it or pay for something.
    09-12-2017 06:24 PM
    Only time will tell
    09-12-2017 06:27 PM
    But they "can't" order you to open it with a code.
    There's different news articles online that state different things. Some say they can, and some say they cannot. Some say the government can, some say the government cannot. Some say a federal judge can, some say a federal judge cannot. The information regarding this specifically is all over the place, and I believe it's going to depend on the type of case and what type of court it falls under. It's the same with the fingerprint.

If I remember, I'll ask my victims advocate to get the information for me from the prosecutors office. I know there is an iPhone 6/6s in the case I am currently involved in, but I don't know who the phone belongs to. I only know who it didn't belong to.
    09-12-2017 06:29 PM
    The panic option works with the side power button. Not the home button. I assume it'll be the same on the iPhone X
    09-12-2017 06:32 PM
    Im sure it's secure but with all these face ID Apple is big brother and they're watching! Does the X also have Touch ID?
    09-12-2017 06:38 PM
78 123 ...