Face ID - How secure is it REALLY?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't work that way. I highly recommend that you watch the keynote, and if you did, please watch it again. It'll help you better understand Facial ID and how it actually works.

I did watch the Keynote, and have seen other videos online. They're already talking about it in other forums here on iMore how easy it was to hold the phone and turn it towards the "owner" to unlock it. It only needs to see the face "forward a bit up or down" it will not work profile / sideways or with eyes closed. But a forward glance will "unlock the phone"

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I did watch the Keynote, and have seen other videos online.

Then you know it doesn't work the way you think it does.

They're already talking about it in other forums here on iMore how easy it was to hold the phone and turn it towards the "owner" to unlock it. It only needs to see the face "forward a bit up or down" it will not work profile / sideways or with eyes closed. But a forward glance will "unlock the phone"

These people have the new iPhone X and are using it, with proof to back up their claims? Theorizing is one thing, actual proof is another.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Then you know it doesn't work the way you think it does.

These people have the new iPhone X and are using it, with proof to back up their claims? Theorizing is one thing, actual proof is another.

They were using on the floor yesterday after the keynote.. he demo models. Like 9to5 Mac and others. Check the other forums here, there is a link to a video "I think it was Verge" that showed how easy it was for the reporter to open the phone just pointing it at the apple rep. It's not like it's a wide spread "issue' it's just something to consider based on after-keynote sampling.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
They were using on the floor yesterday after the keynote.. he demo models. Like 9to5 Mac and others. Check the other forums here, there is a link to a video "I think it was Verge" that showed how easy it was for the reporter to open the phone just pointing it at the apple rep. It's not like it's a wide spread "issue' it's just something to consider based on after-keynote sampling.

Share the link to this video?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, that's bad.

Edit: Although it does make me wonder what type of security they have set up on those demo phones. I mean, what prevented someone from setting a Face ID lock, putting the phone down and then walking off. I'm not discounting what I saw with my own eyes, just offering an additional thought.

It's just easier and more incognito to grab a phone and quickly flash it in front of a face than it is to grab a phone, grab a person's thumb, and force it on Touch ID.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Let’s be real here for a second. How often will it happen that you will leave your phone unattended and not notice someone pointing it to your face???

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Let’s be real here for a second. How often will it happen that you will leave your phone unattended and not notice someone pointing it to your face???

Of course not often. But I could easily be in a room with you and just grab your phone and do it just to mess with you.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Of course not often. But I could easily be in a room with you and just grab your phone and do it just to mess with you.

I hear you. I guess we’ll see enough posts on Reddit / YouTube from people doing this to mess with their friends.

Luckily, because I’m not a teenager or even in my twenties anymore, my friends won’t do this to me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I’m pretty sure people will mess around for the first few months or so with this and the fun will erode and people start to act normal about it.

I agree. I can see some maybe grabbing a friend's phone to try that in a good natured way for fun, but I don't see too many trying to do it in a malicious way.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Luckily the people in my life know better than to touch my phone. Grabbing phones for a good time just doesn’t seem like something my friends or I would do.