Face ID - How secure is it REALLY?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
LOL...I'm sitting here like what do these people have to hide. What are they some type of Master Mind for a ring of criminals...LOL.
It's not that serious, I just don't want someone who doesn't belong in my iPhone to have easy access. I'm not worried about law enforcement because I'm not living like that...LOL

Exactly!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Good for you, glad you live a life where people are kind, and just or just wealthy. Where we live, we see the police daily in the community. People are being hassled for how they look, what religion they practice, or what country they came from. Enjoy your glass bubble, it's not like that for many of the population. Just ask the 800K dreamers who now have their lives in turmoil. Enjoy your Eden, many of us can't.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
LOL...I'm sitting here like what do these people have to hide. What are they some type of Master Mind for a ring of criminals...LOL.
It's not that serious, I just don't want someone who doesn't belong in my iPhone to have easy access. I'm not worried about law enforcement because I'm not living like that...LOL

I don't have anything to hide. It's more I don't want people messing with my phone as I've had coworkers and family members text my now ex-fiancée things from my phone. Speaking of my ex-fiancée, she would go through my texts and get pissed when I was texting female coworkers about work. It's to avoid scenarios like that.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have anything to hide. It's more I don't want people messing with my phone as I've had coworkers and family members text my now ex-fiancée things from my phone. Speaking of my ex-fiancée, she would go through my texts and get pissed when I was texting female coworkers about work. It's to avoid scenarios like that.

I'm sure that Face recognition security is more than adequate for that type of protection.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Mod Note

Let's do what Spencer said. I just cleaned up another 5+ posts that were off topic. If you want to discuss the other thing (those of you know what I mean) I invite you to go to the political section of the forum and you can continue that debate. Let's get back to the topic of Face ID.

Thanks.

Aquila

iMore Sith
Trusted Member
May 14, 2013
Visit site
My best guess is that Apple isn't claiming that it is more secure without any reason to say so. I'm curious to see how it plays out in the real world.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Mod Note

Let's do what Spencer said. I just cleaned up another 5+ posts that were off topic. If you want to discuss the other thing (those of you know what I mean) I invite you to go to the political section of the forum and you can continue that debate. Let's get back to the topic of Face ID.

Thanks.

Thanks Mobile Nations Moderator Almeuit. I was just coming to clean up. Thanks for the assistance.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
My best guess is that Apple isn't claiming that it is more secure without any reason to say so. I'm curious to see how it plays out in the real world.

Exactly this. Many are very quick to judge something with zero real world experience.

Chances of Touch ID being spoofed: 1 in 50,000
Chances of Face ID being spoofed: 1 in 1,000,000

The authorities are going to get into your device if they really want to, either by force or by coercion. A handcuffed thumb can pretty easily be pressed against a Touch ID reader and most people aren’t willing to be thrown in jail for not allowing authorities to access their phones.

I’m not saying I love Face ID. I’m going to give it a chance. When Apple does things like this they overwhelmingly do it the right way.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I am now reading articles off AppyGeek suggesting face ID may actually not be as good as fingerprint ID because supposedly some people can look alike. This contrast to what Apple said the odds were one in 1 million for face ID and one and 50,000 for fingerprint ID so now who knows what to believe.

I'm sure that Apple would have done the research quite well before they would allow a technology to make mistakes like that. I have more faith right now on what Apple says then the criticizing tech media trying to over analyze every minute aspect of what they are doing.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
FaceID essentially makes a dot map of your face with ~30,000 points (It is not a photo of your face). I believe that the TouchID sensor is something like 500 PPI so it could only make a map of your finger with 500 points maximum. Replicating a map of 30,000 points is much more difficult than 500 points. FaceID should be far more secure.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
FaceID essentially makes a dot map of your face with ~30,000 points (It is not a photo of your face). I believe that the TouchID sensor is something like 500 PPI so it could only make a map of your finger with 500 points maximum. Replicating a map of 30,000 points is much more difficult than 500 points. FaceID should be far more secure.

Agree. Face ID is new and does seem a bit creepy. So there's going to be a lot of scrutiny and questions.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Has little to do with "getting arrested"

You're right. It doesn't. I was replying to what you said about legal situations. Me personally, I could care less about whether or not they want in my phone because I'll not be in a position to have anything to hide.

it can be as little as "walking down the street" or "going through customs or TSA" or being "Black, Latino, Muslim" in front of any LEO that has a grudge or new "Trump World" attitude. It's about the right to privacy.

This sounds like something you need to take up with your congressman, and less to do about whether or not the Facial ID is secure.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You're right. It doesn't. I was replying to what you said about legal situations. Me personally, I could care less about weather or not they want in my phone because I'll not be in a position to have anything to hide.

This sounds like something you need to take up with your congressman, and less to do about weather or not the Facial ID is secure.

It's both, but we're going off topic again. Apple has stood firm on NOT unlocking phones for the Government. Whether anyone has anything to hide on their phone is beyond the point. It's about the right to privacy and I am glad people, myself included are writing our reps in the government and trying to do something. I think Apple is concerned about the same thing, they already voiced their opinion. We will have to see how easy it will be to "force an open phone" in the near future. The 1 in 1M, for a face match is a wonderful thing if it truly works out that way. Glad they tested and used masks and other trials. It may be as easy as someone grabbing your phone from the coffee table, saying "Is this yours" and turning it to your face, and running off. How secure is that?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
It may be as easy as someone grabbing your phone from the coffee table, saying "Is this yours" and turning it to your face, and running off. How secure is that?

It doesn't work that way. I highly recommend that you watch the keynote, and if you did, please watch it again. It'll help you better understand Facial ID and how it actually works.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro