Face ID - How secure is it REALLY?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To play devils advocate here... Apple says the new Face ID technology built into iPhone x is much more secure than using a fingerprint. The chances of someone being able to pick up your phone and unlock it with their face (hehe, that just sounds funny) is 1,000,000 to 1.

I believe them, but what do you think? Will there be any way for people to get around it?

I think it would be secure enough, but not from someone who forces you to look at the device to unlock it or pay for something.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
But they "can't" order you to open it with a code.

There's different news articles online that state different things. Some say they can, and some say they cannot. Some say the government can, some say the government cannot. Some say a federal judge can, some say a federal judge cannot. The information regarding this specifically is all over the place, and I believe it's going to depend on the type of case and what type of court it falls under. It's the same with the fingerprint.

If I remember, I'll ask my victims advocate to get the information for me from the prosecutors office. I know there is an iPhone 6/6s in the case I am currently involved in, but I don't know who the phone belongs to. I only know who it didn't belong to.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The point I am making is now you can "lock out the fingerprint" quickly.. with the "panic option" (if it's still working after iOS 11 GM).. but you won't with iPhone X since there is no home button.

The panic option works with the side power button. Not the home button. I assume it'll be the same on the iPhone X

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Identical twins still have differences it would pick up.

You don’t know this for certainty. They made the statement during the keynote that if you have an “evil twin” you should use your passcode.

I’d wait to make these claims until the phone releases. I’d imagine it would work fine but there are always situations where it may not. Twins may be one of those situations.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Right now my concern is with the ongoing threat of a "police state" and the fact that now your phone can't be searched w/o a court order and/or the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open. A big + for iOS 11 is the fast lock, to remove the thumbprint option and force the code. Now with the "Face" they just hold it up to your face and open your phone. The only thing you can do is close your eyes or turn your head. But it will be much easier to force someone to "open the phone".. so there's that.

My concerns exactly

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
You don’t know this for certainty. They made the statement during the keynote that if you have an “evil twin” you should use your passcode.

I’d wait to make these claims until the phone releases. I’d imagine it would work fine but there are always situations where it may not. Twins may be one of those situations.

Agreed! I graduated with two pairs of identical twins and there was no telling one pair apart, and the other pair was the same way except one would do her hair different than the other.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

If someone has issues with an evil twin, they have bigger issues.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If someone has issues with an evil twin, they have bigger issues.

It’s not so much about the “evil twin” joke as much as it’s about the FaceID potentially struggling with identical twins. We won’t know until November but Apple made it a point to mention those possible troubles. I imagine that was for a reason.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It’s not so much about the “evil twin” joke as much as it’s about the FaceID potentially struggling with identical twins. We won’t know until November but Apple made it a point to mention those possible troubles. I imagine that was for a reason.

Guess I missed that part.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Does the X also have Touch ID?

There's no physical Home button on the X, so not sure how it would work without it. When using the Compare feature on the Apple website, Touch ID is not there.

Agreed! I graduated with two pairs of identical twins and there was no telling one pair apart, and the other pair was the same way except one would do her hair different than the other.

I have a set of identical twins in my life currently, and aside from one having long hair and the other having short hair there is one difference. One of them has a small mole right on her lower eyelid. Before one of them cut their hair that was the only way you could tell them apart. Even their tattoo's match.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a set of identical twins in my life currently, and aside from one having long hair and the other having short hair there is one difference. One of them has a small mole right on her lower eyelid. Before one of them cut their hair that was the only way you could tell them apart. Even their tattoo's match.
Interesting I never paid attention to any moles or scars on their faces. That pair was in high school. In college I had one pair of identical twins and they both looked alike except the one had a different jawline because she was in a car wreck. Twins are pretty interesting!

DarkKnight08

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Right now my concern is with the ongoing threat of a "police state" and the fact that now your phone can't be searched w/o a court order and/or the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open. A big + for iOS 11 is the fast lock, to remove the thumbprint option and force the code. Now with the "Face" they just hold it up to your face and open your phone. The only thing you can do is close your eyes or turn your head. But it will be much easier to force someone to "open the phone".. so there's that.

As a criminal defense attorney my best advice is don’t get arrested and it won’t be a problem.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
As a criminal defense attorney my best advice is don’t get arrested and it won’t be a problem.

LOL...I'm sitting here like what do these people have to hide. What are they some type of Master Mind for a ring of criminals...LOL.
It's not that serious, I just don't want someone who doesn't belong in my iPhone to have easy access. I'm not worried about law enforcement because I'm not living like that...LOL

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Has little to do with "getting arrested" it can be as little as "walking down the street" or "going through customs or TSA" or being "Black, Latino, Muslim" in front of any LEO that has a grudge or new "Trump World" attitude. It's about the right to privacy.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Has little to do with "getting arrested" it can be as little as "walking down the street" or "going through customs or TSA" or being "Black, Latino, Muslim" in front of any LEO that has a grudge or new "Trump World" attitude. It's about the right to privacy.

Wow, are you ever misinformed!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2