Face ID - How secure is it REALLY?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
To play devils advocate here... Apple says the new Face ID technology built into iPhone x is much more secure than using a fingerprint. The chances of someone being able to pick up your phone and unlock it with their face (hehe, that just sounds funny) is 1,000,000 to 1.

I believe them, but what do you think? Will there be any way for people to get around it?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’m not concerned about it’s security.

Knowing Apple they would really have done their homework.

Apple is the largest smartphone producer and is already being scrutinized by everybody.

They have even less margin for error then their competitors and thus they will have to act accordingly.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Right now my concern is with the ongoing threat of a "police state" and the fact that now your phone can't be searched w/o a court order and/or the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open. A big + for iOS 11 is the fast lock, to remove the thumbprint option and force the code. Now with the "Face" they just hold it up to your face and open your phone. The only thing you can do is close your eyes or turn your head. But it will be much easier to force someone to "open the phone".. so there's that.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Right now my concern is with the ongoing threat of a "police state" and the fact that now your phone can't be searched w/o a court order and/or the fact they can "force the thumbprint" to open. A big + for iOS 11 is the fast lock, to remove the thumbprint option and force the code. Now with the "Face" they just hold it up to your face and open your phone. The only thing you can do is close your eyes or turn your head. But it will be much easier to force someone to "open the phone".. so there's that.

Same goes for fingerprint, they can hold your finger and it’s unlocked.
You’re not making the point you think you’re making.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Same goes for fingerprint, they can hold your finger and it’s unlocked.
You’re not making the point you think you’re making.

The point I am making is now you can "lock out the fingerprint" quickly.. with the "panic option" (if it's still working after iOS 11 GM).. but you won't with iPhone X since there is no home button.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The point I am making is now you can "lock out the fingerprint" quickly.. with the "panic option" (if it's still working after iOS 11 GM).. but you won't with iPhone X since there is no home button.

That’s not true. You can choose to disable Face ID the same way.
Instead of asking to scan your face it will show the option to enter your passcode.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about?

Courts have already sided with police, that if they can get your finger prints when arrested, they can force you to use your finger prints to open your phone. Pointing a phone at your face is just as likely to be allowed. If you use the new "panic mode" (working on the last beta).. you can quickly turn off "touch to open." Courts have not sided with forcing people to give their pass-codes to open phones.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Probably a lot more secure than fingerprints, but then I have seen pictures sent to me of someone that looks almost like it could be identical twins of myself of some guy in Italy and when I showed family members, they honestly could not tell the difference!
The odds that he will ever get his hands on MY IPHONE are pretty low ;)

No tech is perfect I find it interesting they were able to have the face technology be able to tell the difference between a mask or a photograph. Cutting edge stuff.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Courts have already sided with police, that if they can get your finger prints when arrested, they can force you to use your finger prints to open your phone. Pointing a phone at your face is just as likely to be allowed. If you use the new "panic mode" (working on the last beta).. you can quickly turn off "touch to open." Courts have not sided with forcing people to give their pass-codes to open phones.

They can court order you to open a phone with your fingerprints, and you can refuse if you want to suffer the consequences. Now weather or not they can physically hold you down and force your finger onto the phone is another story.

They can court order you to unlock your phone with Face ID, but your face and eyes must be properly lined up to get it open. If you don't want it open, don't open your eyes and scrunch your face all up. The guy said during the event that if your eyes are closed and your face isn't lined up, it's not going to open.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
They can court order you to open a phone with your fingerprints, and you can refuse if you want to suffer the consequences. Now weather or not they can physically hold you down and force your finger onto the phone is another story.

They can court order you to unlock your phone with Face ID, but your face and eyes must be properly lined up to get it open. If you don't want it open, don't open your eyes and scrunch your face all up. The guy said during the event that if your eyes are closed and your face isn't lined up, it's not going to open.

But they "can't" order you to open it with a code.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If you think authorities can’t coerce users into giving up their passcode think again.

Christopher Wheeler, Florida man, jailed for refusing to disclose smartphone passcode - Washington Times

The point is that the police can get into your phone if they really want to. Most people, including myself, aren’t willing to face jail time because they didn’t want to unlock their phone.

And some who are already in jail, knowing that they're either never getting out or are going to be there for a long time anyway, can still refuse to unlock their phone.