How many generations back do you think are still viable for iPhone purchases?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just posing this to everyone, how far back in years do you think phones are still 'good enough', regardless of what your definition of Good enough is.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
If I'm understanding correctly, I think I would only buy an iPhone if it still updatable but I would want the newest one possible. Updates are important if you do phone banking, etc.

Hence the reason I got rid of my 5C after three years back in March.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If I'm understanding correctly, I think I would only buy an iPhone if it still updatable but I would want the newest one possible. Updates are important if you do phone banking, etc.

Hence the reason I got rid of my 5C after three years back in March.

That and I think if programs aren't lagging on the phone it's all good for use for me...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It really depends on what an individual uses the phone for. I've seen people still using the iPhone 4/4s (in mint condition I might add), because the ONLY thing they use that iPhone for is phone calls (secondary device the wife knows nothing about...Just kidding...LOL). I've found that certain sites (not mentioning any names...LOL) and certain companies (once again...not mentioning any names) would have you believe that updating every year is a must when in all actuality the iPhone will probably last a good four years. Me personally, I like updates on my iPhone, so I would need the latest, greatest ....LOL

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on what an individual uses the phone for. I've seen people still using the iPhone 4/4s (in mint condition I might add), because the ONLY thing they use that iPhone for is phone calls (secondary device the wife knows nothing about...Just kidding...LOL). I've found that certain sites (not mentioning any names...LOL) and certain companies (once again...not mentioning any names) would have you believe that updating every year is a must when in all actuality the iPhone will probably last a good four years. Me personally, I like updates on my iPhone, so I would need the latest, greatest ....LOL

I can identify with that, but I still have a soft spot for my favorites in the series...but I'm more of a nostalgia lover.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
That's true for me as well I guess, because I have no problems using a blackberry 9900, but I won't do phone banking on it. But for iPhones I prefer the later ones that are still available for updates because I do much more on them that demands security updates. Just to clarify.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
That's true for me as well I guess, because I have no problems using a blackberry 9900, but I won't do phone banking on it.

Ahhhhh the beloved BlackBerry 9900...gawd I miss that keyboard! I still have mine and need to charge it/fire it up just for kicks :love-struck:

Back to topic...I personally would want an iPhone that still gets updates hence why I finally had to cut the cord with my BlackBerry Z10 (man I miss that virtual keyboard) and crossed over to Apple whose known for regular updates even after the next iteration comes out.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
My son is still using a 5s and other than the battery not holding a charge very long, it is still running fairly well. I would say that is the cut off right now. My guess is that after iOS 11 that cutoff will move to the iPhone 6. We will see how it does with iOS 11.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Ahhhhh the beloved BlackBerry 9900...gawd I miss that keyboard! I still have mine and need to charge it/fire it up just for kicks :love-struck:

Back to topic...I personally would want an iPhone that still gets updates hence why I finally had to cut the cord with my BlackBerry Z10 (man I miss that virtual keyboard) and crossed over to Apple whose known for regular updates even after the next iteration comes out.

Yup I was using mine as late as last fall as a main device and everything still worked, FB, Whatsapp, etc. Twitter still is perfect and supposedly email, texting and calls also.

Addictive KB

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Definitely depends on the user. I burnt out my iPhone 5c battery in 1.5 years. That's what happens when you have 17,000 Twitter followers ;-) I had a new battery put in it and a year later when I traded it was still perfect. Once in a while I let the battery exercise the full range and I would take it down to about one or 5% before I charged it. They say there's no memory effect with these lithium ion batteries but sometimes the gauge went wonky on it so I don't believe that.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hmm this is a great question. Normally, I would have said the 5S but since we have the SE now, I think iPhone 6(+) is a okay choice to make here.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably biased, because I'm still using a 4s, but it seems to me that if an iPhone is capable of accepting updates it is a viable purchase.

anon(10004440)

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
If purchasing new then I would say 6s, 7 or SE. If it was used and for a short time replacement then I would go back to last supported by iOS, so 5. Or 5s since iOS11 is right around the corner.