Using Android midrange phones for several years, I've come to have several issues with the Google's platform. Just now, with the release of the iPhone 8 looming, I realize that I've never considered iPhones to be a viable alternative to Android. Using Apple in general has always been just beyond me, and it doesn't help that on the desktop Linux is my favorite.

Well, I don't want to discuss Android's disadvantages. What I am interested in is a collection of opinions from confident iPhone users, what they think, where iOS/iPhones fall short, lack features or simply annoy when using them.
    08-16-2017 01:23 AM
    Welcome to iMore qBrick and thanks for joining. iMore is indeed a forum in which that information is available. May I suggest checking out some of the many threads concerning the pros and cons of having/using an Apple device. To basically sum up your question, Apple just seems to work without all the bells and whistles, a basic platform/OS that just gets it done with minimal effort on a day in and day out basis. Hope to see you around the forums. Enjoy the site.
    Speedygi and Just_Me_D like this.
    08-16-2017 08:12 AM
    Biggest con is probably the lack of a file system throughout the operating system, but with the various file management apps out there, it's sufficient in that regard.
    Quis89 and Just_Me_D like this.
    08-16-2017 01:25 PM
    I have recently switched over to iOS from being on Android for the last few years.

While I can't put together a list of differences right now. I wouldn't say any of them are short falls. I think tu transition has actually gone quite well.

It comes down to personal preference and how you use the device but all in all, they both do the core functions. But I am finding that iOS is doing everything so much easier and smooth. I find the apps run quicker and cleaner. If that makes any sense?

The OS isn't as closed off as the Android community makes it seems.

Right now the biggest difference for my is typing. I am coming from using a Pixel XL and a KEYone. Typing on the iPhone is taking some getting used to with the lack of haptic feedback. But you are able to install GBoard!
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-17-2017 06:25 PM
    Email is a little retarded. The lack of a file system is part of the reason. would be nice to have the LED notification on the front.
    DEman19901 likes this.
    08-18-2017 12:18 AM
    Welcome to iMore! I would say iOS has any shortcomings really. It does everything a smartphone is supposed to do. The problem iOS faces is really the mindset that any flagship phone is supposed to have an over abundance of features. To be fair, there are some really great features that have been around for some time that Apple hasn’t implemented yet. Like wireless charging, but rumors say the new iPhones will have that functionality. As others have said, a true file browser would be nice, but it’s not a thing most people really need because Apple is really great at putting files in the apps they need to be in. The only real question to ask yourself if you’re thinking of switching is whether or not there are must have features that Android has, that iOS doesn’t.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-18-2017 12:58 AM
    It would be good to have faster charging, a notification led (notifications are a bit of a mess compared to android tbh) and a file browser. I'd actually love an ad card slot but that's never going to happen. Apple could learn a lot from google regarding its email app as well. I'm one of the few who actually like apple maps though
    08-18-2017 02:28 AM
    I don't find any shortcomings in iOS,for my use of the system, all I really need is for it to work, every time, without faffing about.
    08-18-2017 05:50 AM
    It would be good to have faster charging, a notification led (notifications are a bit of a mess compared to android tbh) and a file browser. I'd actually love an ad card slot but that's never going to happen. Apple could learn a lot from google regarding its email app as well. I'm one of the few who actually like apple maps though
    I always thought an SD card was the greatest thing too. But having an SD card was actually the final push that I needed to get an iPhone.
    I have had so many SD cards go corrupt on me over the years and with different devices.
    Personally I just find them over rated now.
    And when my SD card went corrupt a couple weeks ago, I just said screw it, I am done with Android.

O, and they are never the "cheap" cards either. Have only ever used Samsung or SanDisk class10 cards.

Anyway, internal storage will always be better in my book...
    08-18-2017 01:29 PM
    That would be fine if apple didn't charge extortionate amounts of money for extra storage options. Or if you could still drag and drop from a pc onto the phone
    xtremeled likes this.
    08-18-2017 04:18 PM
    Welcome to iMore!
    No mobile device nor OS is perfect. The best way is to experience it yourself and see how you "feel". I used to hate iOS due to its simplicity but I've grown to appreciate it. I do wish the iPhone to have smaller bezels and an overall smaller form factor. Other than that, I've been really content with Apple. You should test run the iPhone and see whether it satisfy your needs
    08-19-2017 06:47 AM
    Have you tried any of the numerous 3rd-party mail apps?
    08-19-2017 08:19 AM
    That would be fine if apple didn't charge extortionate amounts of money for extra storage options. Or if you could still drag and drop from a pc onto the phone
    You can drag and drop with 3rd-party apps via iTunes.
    08-19-2017 08:22 AM
    Have you tried any of the numerous 3rd-party mail apps?
    Yes some 3rd party stuff is great, but often you are transferred to stock apps when trying to do something.
    08-19-2017 02:20 PM
    As an owner of an s8+ and an iPhone 7+, I'll provide some feedback on the shortcomings here:

-lack of file system isn't a big deal for me since everything goes on cloud services such as Google photos, dropbox etc. I very rarely found myself facing a task that would be possible on Android and not achievable on iOS. Some tasks get accomplished faster on iOS, others faster on Android.

-biggest shortcoming is the screen and large bezels on iPhones. The screen, despite color accuracy, the display looks ancient next to the beautiful amoled displays that high end Androids use. After getting used to a Samsung display, the iPhone display is rough on the eyes. So washed out and blurry text.

-storage. Nothing beats expandable storage and you will not find this on an iPhone. However, if you use cloud services this may not be that big a deal.

-huge bezels and heavy weight. The 7+ is massive and a pain to hold. I have to use it without a case because with a case it's difficult to handle. This won't be solved with the release of the iPhone 8 since that display is going to be more towards the size of the s8 not the s8+. I'm willing to bet that there will be an 8s+ or iPhone 9+ next year so there will be one less shortcoming next year most likely.

-low light camera. I love the 7+ camera but not at night. It suffers badly with night time shots.

-multitasking. There is no split screen multitasking on the iPhone. Only on iPad. That's a major con for many people.

-customization. Android's openness allows for customizing every little detail vs iPhone where it's not possible and force you into it's archaic but clean and user friendly interface.

-notifications. I am one of the very few that prefers iOS notifications, but most people prefer the way Android handles them. I prefer the individual details and the ability to scroll down to see all your email notifications and raise to wake is awesome but most people prefer Android because every app notifications is on one screen.

There are a lot more shortcomings but these are the main ones I can think of. There are many other little features that are not found on iOS but the ones I mentioned are the ones that users notice the most. All in all I prefer the s8+, the difference maker is the form factor and inferior display of the 7+ which keeps me using the s8+ as my daily driver.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    08-20-2017 02:41 AM
    I was always on Android. But I got fed up and in January came over to the Apple iOS . Professionally my company is Apple and use iPad at work. Not new to it except on personal level
    I am pleased. Everything works better for me.
    You will have great support here on iMore. Many of us come from Android
    08-28-2017 01:10 AM
    I mostly like iPhone the way it is. I like the lack choices and lack of endless tweaking. If I was to pick one small thing it would be allowing me to choose default apps...I'd choose Airmail over Mail, Overcast over Podcasts and any simple music player app over the Music app (at least when I don't have an active Apple Music subscription)
    08-29-2017 01:10 PM
    For me, for my use, there are no shortcoming.
    I use iOS because it works best for me. I store documents in iCloud. I use the Microsoft apps for those documents. I've been using iTunes since what....2003??? The whole ecosystem works perfectly for me.
    So......I don't find any shortcomings. If I did, I'd use something else.
    09-03-2017 11:35 AM