https://9to5mac.com/2017/08/10/advan...ency-services/

Thoughts? Personally I think this is a no-brainer. But I suppose I could see why some might oppose it.
    Last edited by SprSynJn; 08-10-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    08-10-2017 11:06 AM
    Agreed. No brainier. Police in the UK (and no doubt other countries) can ‘ping’ a phone in certain circumstances to find out the rough area but this is so much better and is user initiated so is safe.

I’m also hoping the UK will implement an early warning system like the US with amber alerts
    08-10-2017 06:04 PM
    Amber alerts need to stop
    iCortana likes this.
    08-10-2017 07:58 PM
    What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets? Confront a kidnapper? It’s the cops job not mine
    08-10-2017 07:59 PM
    Amber alerts need to stop
    What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets? Confront a kidnapper? It’s the cops job not mine
    You need to disable them.

https://www.imore.com/amber-alerts-y...ow-manage-them
    08-10-2017 08:58 PM
    You obviously don’t have children. If blasting out annoying alerts to thousands of people results in one child being returned to his or her parents it’s well worth it.
    08-10-2017 09:47 PM
    I do have a child, but I’ve never seen the town turn out for a vague description of a vehicle.
    08-10-2017 09:48 PM
    I do have a child, but I’ve never seen the town turn out for a vague description of a vehicle.
    According to the Office of Justice Programs, 868 children have been rescued specifically because of Amber Alerts.

https://www.amberalert.gov/statistics.htm
    08-10-2017 09:56 PM
    If I were living in a country that offered those, then I'd probably disable them as well. Sad to say.
    08-10-2017 10:57 PM
    I'll never disable Amber Alerts, and I pray every single day that no parent has to go what I've been through. There is nothing in life that prepares you for the unexpected death of your child. It's a debilitating pain that never heals. It destroys you.
    08-11-2017 02:41 AM
    According to the Office of Justice Programs, 868 children have been rescued specifically because of Amber Alerts.

https://www.amberalert.gov/statistics.htm
    Great stats!! IMO if only one child is saved then it would be worth it.

Having seen videos of it though they’d would have to be careful about using it else people would turn it off which is understandable.

The UK is only half the size of California so our alerts would be better used for national emergencies or weather warnings then targeting local devices for kidnapping etc.

Back to the OPs point tho, I think manufacturers should take more responsibility in providing frameworks for emergency services. Amber alerts and GPS is just the start.
    I’ve often thought it would be great to be able to FaceTime the police/fire/ambulance call takers and show them what’s happening.
    This will allow them to task the most appropriate resources and assess for themselves what’s needed.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    08-11-2017 04:55 AM
    The ones I've seen have been make, model, and license plate. About as detailed as you can get without setting it in front of me.
    08-11-2017 07:20 AM
    I'll never disable Amber Alerts, and I pray every single day that no parent has to go what I've been through. There is nothing in life that prepares you for the unexpected death of your child. It's a debilitating pain that never heals. It destroys you.
    Absolutely. Even if it startles me for a moment, the pain the parents are going through is way worse. If seeing some information at an important time can lead to someone (whether it's me or not) saving a child, it's worth it.
    08-11-2017 07:22 AM
    I think some people are under the false impression that Amber Alerts are issued willy-nilly. They're not, and in fact are only issued in the most serious of child abduction cases. Law enforcement has to feel that a child is in immediate danger of serious bodily injury or death before they'll issue an alert. Amber Alerts should never be turned off or silenced.
    Tartarus and TheRandomDealio like this.
    08-11-2017 08:05 AM
    Just toggle it off!
    Settings > Notifications > scroll down

08-11-2017 03:22 PM
    As far as I know, we in the Uk do not have such things as Amber(or any other colour) alerts. I strongly suspect nobody would take a blind bit of notice of one if they saw it ! I for one would suspect the police or whoever of making a situation sound worse than it really is for their own convenience, and there's enough of that already.
    08-11-2017 03:50 PM
    As far as I know, we in the Uk do not have such things as Amber(or any other colour) alerts. I strongly suspect nobody would take a blind bit of notice of one if they saw it ! I for one would suspect the police or whoever of making a situation sound worse than it really is for their own convenience, and there's enough of that already.
    You are quite right, we don’t. Childline offer a Text one if you sign up.

I also agree that most would ignore it or turn it off but if one person in a group gets it they’ll no doubt mention it and with that the word will spread just as it does on Facebook or Twitter.

I think as long as there are strict guidelines for when they can or can’t use it then it would be effective.

You should also note that there are two systems which are widely used:

AMBER (which is an acronym as well as being named after a child): which is used for missing or abducted children.

Wireless Emergency Alert (wea) which is everything else from weather alerts to national security events.

In my opinion the UK would need a totally separate one which works with how we do things and as I said, would need to be strictly controlled or targeted.
    TheRandomDealio likes this.
    08-11-2017 05:51 PM
    And on that.... apparently the UK has been running trials already and it even includes a ‘behaviours’ year to see how the good old British public would react .

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...lerting-trials
    08-11-2017 06:13 PM
    I for one would suspect the police or whoever of making a situation sound worse than it really is for their own convenience, and there's enough of that already.
    Amber alerts are not issued at random here in the US. They are for serious threats only so that they ARE taken seriously.
    Sherry_B and TheRandomDealio like this.
    08-11-2017 07:03 PM
    I turned off Amber alerts after getting a few of them in a few days' time. I understand their importance, but I don't want to hear them and I'm not going to go searching for anyone.
    08-11-2017 08:00 PM
    I turned off Amber alerts after getting a few of them in a few days' time. I understand their importance, but I don't want to hear them and I'm not going to go searching for anyone.
    You don't have to " go searching for anyone". If you know a child fitting a certain description is missing, and you're going about your life just worrying about yourself, you may run across that child. Their parents would be forever grateful if you called the authorities.
    TheRandomDealio likes this.
    08-11-2017 08:16 PM
    I've only had a few go off on my phone. But I also get banner news alerts and I see them on Facebook.
    08-11-2017 08:57 PM
    I for one would suspect the police or whoever of making a situation sound worse than it really is for their own convenience

You would suspect wrong. There are extremely strict guidelines that must be met here in the US before an Amber Alert is even allowed to go out to the public.
    TgeekB and TheRandomDealio like this.
    08-12-2017 04:49 AM
    You would suspect wrong. There are extremely strict guidelines that must be met here in the US before an Amber Alert is even allowed to go out to the public.
    It's amazing to me anyone would even argue about this. The sense of community and helping others in the U.S. has really fallen apart.
    08-12-2017 07:19 AM
    The fact that we are even debating whether or not Amber Alerts are a good thing. SMH. I wouldn’t wish child abduction on my worse enemy. It is quite literally my worst nightmare. It’s a very simple “power in numbers” system. If they blast the alert out to enough people authorities are hoping that one of these thousands of people will happen to see the child or perhaps a car matching the description of the vehicle in the alert. It’s about creating awareness, not asking people to drop what they’re doing to go searching around.

And @Wotchered...making the situation worse for their own convenience? Aside from the fact that the police put their lives at risk for our own protection every single day, child abduction is ALWAYS a very big deal. It can’t possibly be worse than the reality of the situation.

That’s my two (maybe three) cents. I’m done.
    08-12-2017 07:20 AM
62 123