Emergency services organizations call for Apple to implement life-saving location feature

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I turned off Amber alerts after getting a few of them in a few days' time. I understand their importance, but I don't want to hear them and I'm not going to go searching for anyone.

You don't have to " go searching for anyone". If you know a child fitting a certain description is missing, and you're going about your life just worrying about yourself, you may run across that child. Their parents would be forever grateful if you called the authorities.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I turned off Amber alerts after getting a few of them in a few days' time. I understand their importance, but I don't want to hear them and I'm not going to go searching for anyone.

I've only had a few go off on my phone. But I also get banner news alerts and I see them on Facebook.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I for one would suspect the police or whoever of making a situation sound worse than it really is for their own convenience

You would suspect wrong. There are extremely strict guidelines that must be met here in the US before an Amber Alert is even allowed to go out to the public.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You would suspect wrong. There are extremely strict guidelines that must be met here in the US before an Amber Alert is even allowed to go out to the public.

It's amazing to me anyone would even argue about this. The sense of community and helping others in the U.S. has really fallen apart.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The fact that we are even debating whether or not Amber Alerts are a good thing. SMH. I wouldn’t wish child abduction on my worse enemy. It is quite literally my worst nightmare. It’s a very simple “power in numbers” system. If they blast the alert out to enough people authorities are hoping that one of these thousands of people will happen to see the child or perhaps a car matching the description of the vehicle in the alert. It’s about creating awareness, not asking people to drop what they’re doing to go searching around.

And @Wotchered...making the situation worse for their own convenience? Aside from the fact that the police put their lives at risk for our own protection every single day, child abduction is ALWAYS a very big deal. It can’t possibly be worse than the reality of the situation.

That’s my two (maybe three) cents. I’m done.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Very SAD, but it reminds me of the times we are currently living in. This shouldn't even be a debate...SAD, VERY SAD.....MEH

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Someone else had a great point. I'm not going to go running outside at 3 am (or anytime for that matter) to go looking for someone. I'd ignore the alert, get pissed that it woke me up, and go back to sleep. Since I get little sleep as it is (and since it's my device), it's totally within my right to turn off the warnings. There's other channels that won't scare the crap out of me when the alert goes off where I can see the alert, such as Facebook and Twitter.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone else had a great point. I'm not going to go running outside at 3 am (or anytime for that matter) to go looking for someone. I'd ignore the alert, get pissed that it woke me up, and go back to sleep. Since I get little sleep as it is (and since it's my device), it's totally within my right to turn off the warnings. There's other channels that won't scare the crap out of me when the alert goes off where I can see the alert, such as Facebook and Twitter.

Yeah that’s a good point. It should adhere to the do not disturb mode which I don’t think it does.

I know it’s my job but I do need to know about these kinda things throughout the night even when not working so for me it would be on 24/7.

Providing it is only used when required and not when it’s just another means of contact.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

No one expects you to run out and look for anyone at 3am or 3 pm. They send out info like child description, make of car, and license plate. Then, if your out and about, and happen to see something, then report it to the authorities. I haven't had any Amber alerts go off during the night between 10 pm and 5:30 am. Most abductions occur during the day and evening before 10 pm. And from what you have said, you haven't had an Amber alert go off during the night either. Yet you seem angry because it might. In the few years Amber Alerts have been on the iPhone, I've had 0 alerts during my night time sleep. I'm not worried about it and leave it turned on.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It's also not as if it happens 5 times a day. It is, thankfully, a rare occurrence yet an emergency when it does happen.

It's like saying you don't want the smoke alarm to go off in your house if a fire occurs when you're sleeping because it will wake you up and disturb your sleep.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's also not as if it happens 5 times a day. It is, thankfully, a rare occurrence yet an emergency when it does happen.

It's like saying you don't want the smoke alarm to go off in your house if a fire occurs when you're sleeping because it will wake you up and disturb your sleep.

Can't remember the last one I had, and even then I do know they haven't EVER occurred when I was sleeping.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Can't remember the last one I had, and even then I do know they haven't EVER occurred when I was sleeping.

I had one go off in the middle of night once a few years ago. I think I nearly hit the ceiling. That said, I still won’t turn the alerts off.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had one go off in the middle of night once a few years ago. I think I nearly hit the ceiling. That said, I still won’t turn the alerts off.

Yeah I bet! There are people who are out and about when I'm not sleeping so they can't afford, for the life of the child, to not send the alert.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets? Confront a kidnapper? It’s the cops job not mine

You could go to sleep peacefully knowing that the Amber Alert isn't because it's your child missing. Imagine what the parents are going through at that time. That alert is honestly the least of my concerns. Is it annoying? Absolutely. But I understand why it exists. It has saved lives.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets? Confront a kidnapper? It’s the cops job not mine

Exactly, let the cops do their jobs. I’m not a cop, it’s not my job. Let them earn their pay that my tax dollars pay for.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets?
Wake up, turn off Amber Alerts in Notifications, go back to sleep, and never worry about it again.

No children for me. Thank the lord Satan.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I still can’t grasp the “It’s not my problem; let the cops deal with it” mentality. Whatever happened to social responsibility? Or just being a good person?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I still can’t grasp the “It’s not my problem; let the cops deal with it” mentality. Whatever happened to social responsibility? Or just being a good person?

It's amazing, isn't it? Such a simple thing and very little effort. It's not like anyone is asking to go out and hunt for someone, just a message giving a description in case you see them. Obviously, for some, that's asking too much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice