Very SAD, but it reminds me of the times we are currently living in. This shouldn't even be a debate...SAD, VERY SAD.....MEH
    08-12-2017 06:36 AM
    Very SAD, but it reminds me of the times we are currently living in. This shouldn't even be a debate...SAD, VERY SAD.....MEH
    People don’t like to feel “inconvenienced” even if it means helping someone. Thinking outside ones self is a lost art.
    08-12-2017 06:45 AM
    Someone else had a great point. I'm not going to go running outside at 3 am (or anytime for that matter) to go looking for someone. I'd ignore the alert, get pissed that it woke me up, and go back to sleep. Since I get little sleep as it is (and since it's my device), it's totally within my right to turn off the warnings. There's other channels that won't scare the crap out of me when the alert goes off where I can see the alert, such as Facebook and Twitter.
    08-12-2017 11:26 AM
    Someone else had a great point. I'm not going to go running outside at 3 am (or anytime for that matter) to go looking for someone. I'd ignore the alert, get pissed that it woke me up, and go back to sleep. Since I get little sleep as it is (and since it's my device), it's totally within my right to turn off the warnings. There's other channels that won't scare the crap out of me when the alert goes off where I can see the alert, such as Facebook and Twitter.
    Yeah that’s a good point. It should adhere to the do not disturb mode which I don’t think it does.

I know it’s my job but I do need to know about these kinda things throughout the night even when not working so for me it would be on 24/7.

Providing it is only used when required and not when it’s just another means of contact.
    08-12-2017 02:49 PM
    No one expects you to run out and look for anyone at 3am or 3 pm. They send out info like child description, make of car, and license plate. Then, if your out and about, and happen to see something, then report it to the authorities. I haven't had any Amber alerts go off during the night between 10 pm and 5:30 am. Most abductions occur during the day and evening before 10 pm. And from what you have said, you haven't had an Amber alert go off during the night either. Yet you seem angry because it might. In the few years Amber Alerts have been on the iPhone, I've had 0 alerts during my night time sleep. I'm not worried about it and leave it turned on.
    TheRandomDealio likes this.
    08-13-2017 06:59 AM
    It's also not as if it happens 5 times a day. It is, thankfully, a rare occurrence yet an emergency when it does happen.

It's like saying you don't want the smoke alarm to go off in your house if a fire occurs when you're sleeping because it will wake you up and disturb your sleep.
    08-13-2017 07:41 AM
    It's also not as if it happens 5 times a day. It is, thankfully, a rare occurrence yet an emergency when it does happen.

It's like saying you don't want the smoke alarm to go off in your house if a fire occurs when you're sleeping because it will wake you up and disturb your sleep.
    Can't remember the last one I had, and even then I do know they haven't EVER occurred when I was sleeping.
    08-13-2017 08:27 AM
    Can't remember the last one I had, and even then I do know they haven't EVER occurred when I was sleeping.
    I had one go off in the middle of night once a few years ago. I think I nearly hit the ceiling. That said, I still won’t turn the alerts off.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    08-15-2017 05:58 AM
    I had one go off in the middle of night once a few years ago. I think I nearly hit the ceiling. That said, I still won’t turn the alerts off.
    Yeah I bet! There are people who are out and about when I'm not sleeping so they can't afford, for the life of the child, to not send the alert.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    08-15-2017 06:12 AM
    What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets? Confront a kidnapper? It’s the cops job not mine
    You could go to sleep peacefully knowing that the Amber Alert isn't because it's your child missing. Imagine what the parents are going through at that time. That alert is honestly the least of my concerns. Is it annoying? Absolutely. But I understand why it exists. It has saved lives.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-05-2017 08:08 AM
    What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets? Confront a kidnapper? It’s the cops job not mine
    Exactly, let the cops do their jobs. I’m not a cop, it’s not my job. Let them earn their pay that my tax dollars pay for.
    09-05-2017 10:45 AM
    What am I going to do after I recover from the heart attack inducing awful noise at 3am jump up and search the streets?
    Wake up, turn off Amber Alerts in Notifications, go back to sleep, and never worry about it again.

No children for me. Thank the lord Satan.
    09-05-2017 04:27 PM
    Exactly, let the cops do their jobs. I’m not a cop, it’s not my job. Let them earn their pay that my tax dollars pay for.
    You mean the cops who risk their lives to keep us safe? I think they earn their pay every day.
    09-05-2017 06:13 PM
    I still can’t grasp the “It’s not my problem; let the cops deal with it” mentality. Whatever happened to social responsibility? Or just being a good person?
    TgeekB and Sherry_B like this.
    09-05-2017 07:33 PM
    I still can’t grasp the “It’s not my problem; let the cops deal with it” mentality. Whatever happened to social responsibility? Or just being a good person?
    It's amazing, isn't it? Such a simple thing and very little effort. It's not like anyone is asking to go out and hunt for someone, just a message giving a description in case you see them. Obviously, for some, that's asking too much.
    09-05-2017 07:51 PM
    You mean the cops who risk their lives to keep us safe? I think they earn their pay every day.
    Maybe in your jurisdiction but in mine they’re dirty. That’s why I utilize my Second Amendment rights and leave my house strapped.
    09-05-2017 08:23 PM
    Maybe in your jurisdiction but in mine they’re dirty. That’s why I utilize my Second Amendment rights and leave my house strapped.
    That's quite a broad brush you use. I hope no one judges you so poorly.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    09-05-2017 08:24 PM
    You have trayvon martin to thank for that. Since I always leave my house strapped I’m not putting myself in a situation that I must utilize said firearm to defend myself and end up like George Zimmerman.
    09-05-2017 08:25 PM
    You have trayvon martin to thank for that. Since I always leave my house strapped I’m not putting myself in a situation that I must utilize said firearm to defend myself and end up like George Zimmerman.
    I understand and respect that, but I don’t think anyone is expecting you to put yourself in that situation. All anybody is asking (not telling) you to do is call the police if you see anything or anyone matching the description in the Amber alert.
    09-05-2017 08:28 PM
    That's quite a broad brush you use. I hope no one judges you so poorly.
    It’s the truth. It’s common knowledge the sheriff still has his job because of his political party.
    Why would anyone judge me so poorly?
    09-05-2017 08:28 PM
    I understand and respect that, but I don’t think anyone is expecting you to put yourself in that situation. All anybody is asking (not telling) you to do is call the police if you see anything or anyone matching the description in the Amber alert.
    Thanks for understanding and respecting that! I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I took what you said to mean intervene.
    09-05-2017 08:31 PM
    Thanks for understanding and respecting that! I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. I took what you said to mean intervene.
    Oh god no. I would never expect anyone to put them-self in harm’s way. By “social responsibility” I meant the general responsibility to know what’s going on in one’s neighborhood and report things that could pose a threat to them or the people around them.
    09-05-2017 08:37 PM
    Oh god no. I would never expect anyone to put them-self in harm’s way. By “social responsibility” I meant the general responsibility to know what’s going on in one’s neighborhood and report things that could pose a threat to them or the people around them.
    My apologies for the misunderstanding! If it was family then I’d for sure intervene but anything else I’d get as much detail as possible and call the law. I thought you meant to personally interfere in what was going on that’s why I said what I did.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    09-05-2017 08:41 PM
    I'm glad that's cleared up now.
    09-05-2017 08:41 PM
    My apologies for the misunderstanding! If it was family then I’d for sure intervene but anything else I’d get as much detail as possible and call the law. I thought you meant to personally interfere in what was going on that’s why I said what I did.
    Glad we are on the same page now.
    Anybody who tries to harm my family will be met with fire and fury the likes of which this world has never seen. Anybody else...I’m calling the cops.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    09-05-2017 08:42 PM
62 123