Former google svp says android photography years behind iPhone

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I get what everyone is saying. I really do. Yes, there are Android phones with faster focus, more megapixels, wider apertures, and all around more features. But what he’s saying is that it’s not available consistently and that’s where iPhone wins. You consistently know what you’re getting with a camera on iPhone. Any and all changes to camera software goes out worldwide to all iPhones capable of it. Android does not. So yes, while there are Android phones that take better photos, iPhone is more consistent in quality and availability. That’s really the base of it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I love this response from a redditor regarding this story.

It's all about that post image processing. Google has it done pretty well but some enjoy making things very vivid in color (read: artificial). Apple does a great job at making it look exactly the way it was at the time the picture was taken.

I don't think anyone can hit this point home enough.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I get what everyone is saying. I really do. Yes, there are Android phones with faster focus, more megapixels, wider apertures, and all around more features. But what he’s saying is that it’s not available consistently and that’s where iPhone wins. You consistently know what you’re getting with a camera on iPhone. Any and all changes to camera software goes out worldwide to all iPhones capable of it. Android does not. So yes, while there are Android phones that take better photos, iPhone is more consistent in quality and availability. That’s really the base of it.

That is very debatable as shown by the countless blind tests showing the iPhone lagging behind. I own an iPhone 7, and apple has a lot to work on for camera quality, especially in low light.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
That is very debatable as shown by the countless blind tests showing the iPhone lagging behind. I own an iPhone 7, and apple has a lot to work on for camera quality, especially in low light.

You’ve misread my comment. I didn’t say iOS has the best camera, I said it has the most consistent camera. I even say there are Android devices that have better features and specs, but they aren’t consistent across devices.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
You’ve misread my comment. I didn’t say iOS has the best camera, I said it has the most consistent camera. I even say there are Android devices that have better features and specs, but they aren’t consistent across devices.

I never claimed you said the iPhone has the best camera. I am saying devices like the pixel, s8, heck even htc's new phone are just as consistent as the iPhone is.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I never claimed you said the iPhone has the best camera. I am saying devices like the pixel, s8, heck even htc's new phone are just as consistent as the iPhone is.

Then you misunderstand my usage of consistency here. How many Android phones have the same camera features, focal lengths, amount of mega pixels, number of lenses, and what have you? All dual lens iPhones have depth effect, have two lenses, the same focal lengths, same types of lenses etc. and all new iPhones period have optical image stabilization, and with the exception of dual lens only features, all iPhones have the same features. You know exactly what you’re getting with the camera on any iPhone if you buy an iPhone. Androids phones as a whole do not have that level of consistency. It’s up to the manufacturer to decide what to implement and how, and due to the sheer number of manufacturers, devices, and price ranges, the gap is quite wide in offered cameras and a features.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Then you misunderstand my usage of consistency here. How many Android phones have the same camera features, focal lengths, amount of mega pixels, number of lenses, and what have you? All dual lens iPhones have depth effect, have two lenses, the same focal lengths, same types of lenses etc. and all new iPhones period have optical image stabilization, and with the exception of dual lens only features, all iPhones have the same features. You know exactly what you’re getting with the camera on any iPhone if you buy an iPhone. Androids phones as a whole do not have that level of consistency. It’s up to the manufacturer to decide what to implement and how, and due to the sheer number of manufacturers, devices, and price ranges, the gap is quite wide in offered cameras and a features.

Yet that really has nothing to do with the quality of the photos. The "consistency" you talk about, most do not care about it is only the finished product they see when the camera goes off.

Not to mention the whole premise of the article was that the iPhone is years ahead of android, which it is not, even with all the "consistency" you speak of.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Yet that really has nothing to do with the quality of the photos. The "consistency" you talk about, most do not care about it is only the finished product they see when the camera goes off.

Not to mention the whole premise of the article was that the iPhone is years ahead of android, which it is not, even with all the "consistency" you speak of.

The "years ahead" thing is just a comment from a guy who is probably feeling sore years after being at Google as opposed to just being uninformed. I liked Android Central's response to this story.

https://www.androidcentral.com/vic-gundotra-wrong-about-android-photography

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

Well my initial comment, which includes the consistency, is about what I believe the comments in the article were talking about. He specifically stated the fragmentation of Android, which is where the inconsistency lies. And yes, the low and mid range phones don’t take the quality of photos that iPhone or high end Android’s do. There are also more mid tier Android’s in use globally than high end flagships.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The "years ahead" thing is just a comment from a guy who is probably feeling sore years after being at Google as opposed to just being uninformed. I liked Android Central's response to this story.

https://www.androidcentral.com/vic-gundotra-wrong-about-android-photography

I think he was just salty, too. Honestly, most of the top of the line phones (iPhones and Android phones) get great pics that 99% of the population are happy with on a day to day basis. My wife's S7 Edge generally takes better pics than my 6s Plus, especially in low light situations. But they both work pretty well the vast majority of the time when it comes to capturing a memory. Most people aren't looking to get these pictures hung in the Met or anything.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well my initial comment, which includes the consistency, is about what I believe the comments in the article were talking about. He specifically stated the fragmentation of Android, which is where the inconsistency lies. And yes, the low and mid range phones don’t take the quality of photos that iPhone or high end Android’s do. There are also more mid tier Android’s in use globally than high end flagships.

Which still does not make his claim anymore valid. He said "android is years behind IOS in photography" not "mid range devices are behind IOS" Not to mention once again fragmentation has nothing to do with it. You take the flagships from last year/this year and tests show they aren't years behind. Just saying he is a disgruntled ex employee trying to get his 5 minutes of fame with his companies accessory launching soon on IOS.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Which still does not make his claim anymore valid. He said "android is years behind IOS in photography" not "mid range devices are behind IOS" Not to mention once again fragmentation has nothing to do with it. You take the flagships from last year/this year and tests show they aren't years behind. Just saying he is a disgruntled ex employee trying to get his 5 minutes of fame with his companies accessory launching soon on IOS.

I wasn’t trying to validate his point. My initial comment was just me explaining what I thought he was trying to say. He is pooling the entirety of Android against iOS. That’s all he’s doing.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I do find the iPhone camera to be superior to other Android devices. Pictures do look better on Android thanks to OLED ;)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I do find the iPhone camera to be superior to other Android devices. Pictures do look better on Android thanks to OLED ;)

So you say the iPhone is superior yet pictures look better on android devices... ok... Not to mention many android devices do not use OLED panels.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l6onn44vy