Do you think smartphones with large bezels look outdated?

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm not expecting it to be bezel-less but there's no need for the huge bezels it has. I feel like it's wasted space.

I agree. I think most are trying to thin it down. I guess I was speaking more about the ones with the curved display. No need for a huge bezel but it's the least of my worries. As long as the phone performs I don't care too much what it looks like, but that's just me.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, bezels are not something I pay that much attention to. There's too many different case styles to cover up such things, which leaves me to focus more on how well the device works rather than what it looks like.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, bezels are not something I pay that much attention to. There's too many different case styles to cover up such things, which leaves me to focus more on how well the device works rather than what it looks like.

Exactly.
It'd be nice if the iPhone had slimmer bezels.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The tech is there to be able to do the smaller bezels so not doing it is essentially outdated IMO.

I'm looking forward to smaller bezels and larger screens with the same (or even smaller) form factor.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
The tech is there to be able to do the smaller bezels so not doing it is essentially outdated IMO.

I'm looking forward to smaller bezels and larger screens with the same (or even smaller) form factor.

Thanks Robert, my sentiments exactly.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

It'd be nice to have the Plus in a smaller form factor. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

flappah

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
So with the new crop of android devices, and the rumored iPhone 8 with minimal bezels, do you think that smartphones with large bezels now look outdated?

No, not necessarily. Just, different. It's a packaging just like the iPhone SE has a different one. So, no, not dated, just different and I think both form factors can exist next to each other.

johnathanblade

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Of course large bezels are outdated. It's not just an aesthetic consideration. If you are using a Plus model that only has a 5.5" screen, but is literally the size of a small tablet vs a phone with a 5.8" screen that is the size of a 5" phone, then you will understand the absolute convenience at the core of bezel shrinking.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
From an aesthetics standpoint, yes, the larger bezels look outdated. From a usability standpoint, I always feel like I'm this-close to dropping the S8+ and still get many, many annoying accidental touches - because it's basically bezel-less. None of that happens with the iPhone 7 Plus.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
How did I miss this? I'm totally digging the no, or little bezel look of today's phones. I'm an early adopter, having imported a Xiaomi Mi Mix from China. I also use the S8 currently. What the S8 and other small bezel phones do so well is give you a large display in a small footprint. The Mix did this also, to some degree, although it was just SO large of a screen, it just didn't matter.

Now that being said, I really don't mind the bezels on a well made phone such as the iPhone 7/7 Plus (I have a 7 Plus), or the Pixel/Pixel XL (Had a Pixel, and now have an XL), or the OnePlus 5 (yea yea had one ;) ).

FrankDeG

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the phone, but in general I would say yes. The phones with minimal bezels are becoming the norm and in many cases are quite nice looking. The larger bezels, to me, are starting to look outdated.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
For me the answer is no...at the moment. As others have said I have an iPhone 6 with a black bezel so when the phone isn't illuminated you'd never know whether the bezel is 1 mm or 1 inch. I currently have no interest in switching from iPhone so I've never looked at a Samsung phone with small bezels. They probably do look lovely but bezel size is way down my list of priorities; it's not like my current phone is mostly bezel.

I do think it could be like retina was. Once you switch there's no going back. You can live quite happily in your non-retina / large bezel world thinking all of the talk is typical overblown hype until you've used the newer device for even just a few minutes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Having used the 6s Plus now for almost 2 years, I don't ever think about the bezel. I certainly wouldn't pay $200 more for a phone just for smaller bezels.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice