Do you think smartphones with large bezels look outdated?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So with the new crop of android devices, and the rumored iPhone 8 with minimal bezels, do you think that smartphones with large bezels now look outdated?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So with the new crop of android devices, and the rumored iPhone 8 with minimal bezels, do you think that smartphones with large bezels now look outdated?

By my standards, no. The faceplate of my iPhone is black so I don’t really see it, and when the display is lit, I only focus on whatever it is I’m doing on the device so I don’t even notice the bezels then either. If tiny bezels were a deal breaker for me, I would have purchased an Android device....

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
By my standards, no. The faceplate of my iPhone is black so I don’t really see it, and when the display is lit, I only focus on whatever it is I’m doing on the device so I don’t even notice the bezels then either. If tiny bezels were a deal breaker for me, I would have purchased an Android device....

I'm sure that view will change once apple hops on board with slimmer bezels.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I do. Going back and forth between my work iPhone and my S8+, the iPhone definitely seems dated. The extra screen area of the S8+ is great. Hoping the next crop of iPhone catch up or surpass it.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
To me no but then again I'm not on the less bezel bandwagon so it's not a focal point I even notice. I'm sure as more phones come out you'll definitely be able to tell the older phones from the newer ones and then yes it'll probably look more dated by that point.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Apple people will begin to see phones with large bezels as "outdated" once Apple releases a phone with hardly any bezels at all. Most people around here were adamant that a larger screen than 4 inches wasn't necessary and that they were perfectly happy with what they had. Some claimed they wouldn't even switch to a bigger size. Now many of them talk sh*t about small screen phones and how they look outdated. Same will apply here.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Apple people will begin to see phones with large bezels as "outdated" once Apple releases a phone with hardly any bezels at all. Most people around here were adamant that a larger screen than 4 inches wasn't necessary and that they were perfectly happy with what they had. Some claimed they wouldn't even switch to a bigger size. Now many of them talk sh*t about small screen phones and how they look outdated. Same will apply here.

Agree 100%. Same with the rumored OLED screen. The die hard apple fans used to claim apple doesn't need those screens, yet once they release an iPhone with one it will be the best thing since sliced bread.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Having used the S8+ for a number of weeks with the 7 Plus, I definitely noticed and felt like the 7 Plus was "dated". Ultimately though I chose to stick with the 7 Plus and sold the S8+. Now that I have been back to using the 7 Plus for a couple weeks, the bezels don't bother me. There were plenty of times I missed having some bezel when using the S8+ too. At the end of the day function is way more important than looks. If apple is shrinking the bezels, I hope they focus on function and not just looks. Not that the S8+ is bad. It's a fantastic phone, but there are definitely negatives to not having any bezel.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I still, for the life of me, don't understand the bezel hate. I own a S8. I own a 7 Plus. I couldn't care less about the bezels, or the chin, or any of that. Honestly. I can about function. If the next iPhone releases with no bezel yet functions worse, I'll gladly take the bezels back. I truly don't care about the bezel stuff.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I still, for the life of me, don't understand the bezel hate. I own a S8. I own a 7 Plus. I couldn't care less about the bezels, or the chin, or any of that. Honestly. I can about function. If the next iPhone releases with no bezel yet functions worse, I'll gladly take the bezels back. I truly don't care about the bezel stuff.

I think people aren't necessarily concerned that there are actual bezels but more concerned with having more screen real estate with a smaller footprint.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Short answer: Yes I do. It is what it is. The trend is definitely in the direction of very small or nonexistent bezels.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Having used the S8+ for a number of weeks with the 7 Plus, I definitely noticed and felt like the 7 Plus was "dated". Ultimately though I chose to stick with the 7 Plus and sold the S8+. Now that I have been back to using the 7 Plus for a couple weeks, the bezels don't bother me. There were plenty of times I missed having some bezel when using the S8+ too. At the end of the day function is way more important than looks. If apple is shrinking the bezels, I hope they focus on function and not just looks. Not that the S8+ is bad. It's a fantastic phone, but there are definitely negatives to not having any bezel.

Exactly this. If it ruins the functionality of the phone, I'm not interested.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the bezels make it look dated. They come in handy for some things. The iPhone 7+ is a beautiful device in my opinion.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it does. I’ve always hated the huge bezel & never understood the purpose. Hopefully they’ll get rid of it because it definitely takes away from the design.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I think it does. I’ve always hated the huge bezel & never understood the purpose. Hopefully they’ll get rid of it because it definitely takes away from the design.

I believe the purpose is for handling.
I've had people tell me, who own bezelless phones, that they're always touching something on their screen and it drives them crazy. I've never owned one so I can't confirm that. Bezels don't bother me at all.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe the purpose is for handling.
I've had people tell me, who own bezelless phones, that they're always touching something on their screen and it drives them crazy. I've never owned one so I can't confirm that. Bezels don't bother me at all.

I'm not expecting it to be bezel-less but there's no need for the huge bezels it has. I feel like it's wasted space.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro