Without google apps, how interested would you be in IOS?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
My place of work uses google apps so I'd probably not have an iphone without that support. My phone is key to my work.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The most I use from Google is their search engine. I have a gmail account, but it’s basically a throwaway account. With that in mind, I’d still be very interested in iOS without any of Google’s apps...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Without Google apps? I'd be fine. I use the Google search engine in Safari and Gmail in the stock Mail app, but those are not apps. I could make do without Google Maps and the YouTube app.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Over the past year I’ve been slowly migrating my account(s) email address over to my iCloud address from gmail though I still have that account. If I suddenly couldn’t use google apps, the only thing I’d miss is YouTube because that’s the only google app I have installed on my 7 Plus or iPad.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Title says it all. I know not everyone is a heavy google user, but how interested in IOS would you be?

I don't use Google apps. While I have 6 or 7 Gmail accounts, I don't use a Google made app to read them. Google apps.. been there, done that, no longer drinking the Kool-Aid.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
It would not affect me. No Google apps at all here; very little use of their services.

I use DuckDuckGo search engine, which is more than good enough with honest non-paid-for results on the first page. I do follow links to YouTube and watch... really no choice there, much as I'd prefer them to use something else or host the video themselves. Two legacy gmail accounts still exist that I stopped using years ago, but sometimes old contacts use, and I have the email forwarded to outlook.com and fetch them via the Apple Mail app.

I'm *this* close to being Google-free!

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't use any Google Apps or services. Most stuff in Microsoft Account. O like having the same productivity apps across all of my devices (Office, Outlook, OneNote, OneDrive, Skype, etc.).

I don't even use Google Search. DuckDuckGo on pretty much every device. Bing and Google aren't usefuk, since I don't use their Assistants. The results from all of them are practically the same, and I do a LOT of web searches.

I only have the YouTube app installed, for convenience (higher resolution video playback, less browser tab digging).

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually use Gmail, Google search engine, YouTube and Google Maps, however I could probably adjust and use other resources. Yes I would miss those apps, but I would still use and prefer Apple products.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Hmm, I think I would be mostly okay.

I uninstalled the YouTube app and I have chosen to just watch it in the browser since I have Crystal to block ads. I love how well this works. The only place where it will hurt is Feedly, because I find it easier to just use a Google account to use it. Otherwise, I use OneDrive, Outlook, Apple Maps, and Bing and I get by just fine on iOS.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Google Earth needs an update badly. Apparently, it's still 32 bit and won't work on iOS 11. Mine was so bad I deleted it. Maybe they'll update soon.

They seemed to have put more focus on the web version of Google Earth, and aiming at the education sector.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
It would be tough. Especially coming from Android the fact that the Google apps were on iOS is one of the reasons I was comfortable switching. I didn't even use Gmail for serious email either at the time. A few months ago I changed hosting for my websites though and got rid of the personal website domain based email addresses I'd used for over 10 years and switched to Gmail since I have 19GB of space for free with about 11 actually available due to my heavy use of Google Photos since 2010. I only have 5GB of space in iCloud without paying for more and most of that is iPhone/iPad backups to iCloud. Maps is a tossup since I tend to use Waze a lot but then that's now owned by Google so I guess it counts as a Google app.

kamann

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't do it. I love my Google iPhone!
9e5734ea9158ea39f461bd174acab7ed.png

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'm not totally tied to Google so it would be fine for me. I primarily use Google as a search engine, a Gmail account for online shopping/junk mail, YouTube, and Google Maps but I could learn to use others and still be interested in iOS.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The only Google app that gets any regular use is YouTube. I’d miss that if it were gone but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker so long as YouTube.com still exists.