Do you use the iPad as your primary computer?

Cella Lao Rousseau

Staff Writer, iMore.com
Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
"For many people the iPad is the most accessible, approachable computer they've ever known.

Prior to the iPad, computing was still intimidating for many people. File systems were a maze, layered windows were unnavigable, and trying to install or remove an app was a nightmare. Even the Mac, which was always amongst the easiest computer to use wasn't the easiest a computer could be to use.

The iPad solved that for a lot of people. With a focus on simplicity and direct manipulation, it made computing even more mainstream." (Rene Ritchie)

So, do you use your iPad like your primary computer? Or are you still a MacBook kind of person?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My 9.7” iPad Pro has indeed become my primary computer. In fact, I purchased it as a replacement for my old 2009 model MacBook, and for the most part, it has worked out quite well for me. Having said that, I miss not being able to do an iTunes backup or not having the ability to do a clean install of iOS. Other than that, and maybe a few other things, the transition has been pretty seamless.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I barely use my iPad. It just doesn't have the ability to run programs I use for design so I use my MBP due to fact it has the power of a full computer. I require that.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
The iPad has replaced a laptop as my general-use, portable computer. It has not, however, replaced my Mac mini. Perhaps someday it will, especially if I drop the freelance work that has the most need for a full Mac/PC. If I was a novelist or other kind of writer I could easily do fine with an iPad.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Interesting concept. I just purchased an iPad Pro and it does represent most of my consumer "computing". There are certain things I need a laptop for but the list becomes shorter every year.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Interesting concept. I just purchased an iPad Pro and it does represent most of my consumer "computing". There are certain things I need a laptop for but the list becomes shorter every year.

My iPhone has practically replaced my laptop to be honest. Most of my work is email and communication along with reviewing spread sheets and docs. For my personal use a tablet is basically the bedroom tv and media consumer and right now I'm using a nexus 9 for that. The iPad Pro is tempting for those times I use my laptop for editing spreadsheets and writing larger reports. I think it could replace it for that activity.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone has practically replaced my laptop to be honest. Most of my work is email and communication along with reviewing spread sheets and docs. For my personal use a tablet is basically the bedroom tv and media consumer and right now I'm using a nexus 9 for that. The iPad Pro is tempting for those times I use my laptop for editing spreadsheets and writing larger reports. I think it could replace it for that activity.

Phones really have taken over much of our computing needs. I think that's why they're getting larger as people push them to do more things. I like the phone/tablet combo myself. I don't want to carry a large phone around all the time and the SE works for me while being almost transparent. My iPad Pro, which I'm replying to you on as I relax at home, is best for these types of uses with the larger screen and keyboard. I guess it's good that there are choices for different lifestyles and preferences.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
To answer the question, my mobile device has become my primary computer that being my iPhone 7 Plus.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
So, do you use your iPad like your primary computer? Or are you still a MacBook kind of person?

I have a gaming rig that I built with dual monitors which has always been my primary computer. My iPad is something I can tote around the house with me from room to room or take on vacation (IMDB lookups, sewing stuff, a few iOS games etc). My Windows laptop's main purpose is sitting next to my sewing machine where I can view sewing PDF patterns from Dropbox and watch sewing HowTo/Tutorials on Craftsy or YouTube. My iPhone is, well, my phone. It serves no other purpose than to keep in contact with friends and family.

My husband has his own gaming rig, but he uses a Macbook Pro for Business Intelligence/SQL database/programming/development/technical consultant stuff (stuff that goes waaaay over my head).

Eventually I may completely move over to Apple with all of my computing needs, but right now I still enjoy Windows for my gaming needs.

TheMadTurtle

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Not even close - I use it to read and watch videos. I've had an iPad since the beginning and I love it, but I still can't seem to use it for anything other than media consumption.

Aaron Koch

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
My Mac Mini has been relegated to server duty. I use it for archiving video files. Nearly all my computing is done on my iPad Pro even editing promo videos for work. I've found that the only real shortcoming of iOS is handling large spreadsheets, which is something I am no longer in need of. So in the end I've found myself to be more efficient on my iPad.

Lynk12

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
i had a 2008 macbook that i needed to replace... despite upgrading ram and hard drive and replacing the battery it just wasn't cutting it anymore and granted it is freelance but i am an artist and graphic designer, so when it really came time to replace i had a hard time deciding between the ipad pro 12.9 and the macbook pro ... in the end i went with the ipad pro and i have never looked back it is great for design, art, everything, i've gotten creative with my file system and i have a wireless hard drive to store my larger art files but it was the best move i ever made especially now that affinity photo is available (and i think affinity designer is coming soon) ... and i cant even imagine how great the new ipad pro is with the new refresh rate ... i know that ipads aren't for everyone but i love mine and i especially love the pencil ... that was truly my biggest production hurtle is that i love drawing out first and to have the plethora of sketchbook apps (my current favorite is linea) and then be able to transfer it over to the next stage of production seamlessly is the best

ruger141

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
No, I think its ridiculous to assume it could for all people. Sure there are now more things that can be done on the Pro and tablets in general, but it will never be a true replacement imo. The reasons I love our MacBook: A dedicated PC Operating System with FULL featured programs. Full sized keyboard and awesome touch pad for comfortable typing, keyboard shortcuts, gestures, all inputs in one place so I don't have to constantly reach up to the screen like I would on an iPad. A Large screen so things like split window for researching and typing a paper are functional. Peripheral ports. I'm in process of buying a new house right now and could not open one of the livesign documents on my ipad, tried multiple times with different browsers. Pulled it up on the MacBook Air with no issue. There's more I just can't think of at the moment but for me it will never be a great replacement. I'm a big believer in tools that are proper for their job. Trying to get an ipad to do the job of a laptop just feels to me like a tool trying to fit in two categories. When that happens you won't excel in either category.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
My phone (Pixel) and iPad mini 4 are my primary devices daily.. My PC is a workstation for backups and writing papers.. that's the only time I use my computer.. I would grab my iPad before anything else!! I love the mini because it's super portable, I can take it anywhere with me and I love that!

indoctrahol

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure that it would take up a lot more of my computer use if I didn't need to have a company-issued computer.

With the new enhancements with iOS 11, it just makes it easier.

veritas_vincit

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
In order to use the iPad as a primary tool, you need to assess your needs and requirements to do your job. In my case I did my due diligence and currently I'm using an iPad Pro 12.9 as my daily driver, including administering my Linux servers remotely and I can't complain about using my iPad as my daily driver. It fits my needs and also, I use it to take notes with my Apple Pencil, as I have to write notes a lot and the beauty of it is that I can later search keywords written with my pencil.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I've thought about trying a Mac since I could use the Adobe stuff I use for photo/video editing on it, but there's no way I would want to do that even on a 12.9" Pro vs. the 24" screen I have now. I also use my Windows PC for some Windows only games and it's a built rig for that. No way that will be going away anytime soon. I could probably run most of them in some sort of VM type thing on a Mac but MS Flightsim requires the fastest single threaded performance CPU you can get especially with all the high res scenery addons for it and that Intel CPU is not available in a Mac.

fritzdoss

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I use the big iPad Pro as my primary computer. I am a business traveler and am always looking for ways to reduce the weight of my shoulder slung carry-on. The iPad weighs considerably less than the Mac air I used to travel with prior to the release of the pro iPad. On the rare occasion I need to do any “Heavy Lifting” while I’m on the road, I go to the hotel business center and endure the excruciatingly painful experience of using a windows desktop pc. I can do jut about everything on the iPad with a few little tricks and the pencil, and my iPhone as a second device. I must say though when I am home, I enjoy using my iMac a lot more than I used too.