Who still uses iPods?

leandrodp2016

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I guess for us with iPhone plus models, iPods do have a point, specially when working out, or when you have to save your battery juice (long car/plane trips). I personally have a 2011 iPod touch plugged to my home stereo for music streaming purposes (Spotify, since it doesn't support Apple Music), and also an iPod nano for gym workouts. I find it easier to carry than my gigantic phone, plus I don't wanna risk breaking it or getting it stolen.

Wizard12

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Just wondered how many people still used a iPod, with apple music, photos, etc all syncing across devices I wouldn't think my little iPod Nano would be used much - however I find it comes with me quite a lot while driving or when I get the train or walk etc as I listen to a lot of podcast and have a few photos saved, battery last FOREVER too!

What about you guys/girls?

I still use a Shuffle. It has every Beatle Album on it....only. And I have the larger 5th Gen as well. Use it to play drums along to music.

Robert Newman4

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I no longer have a computer that runs iTunes.

We are now an iPad/iPhone only household. Our iPods are now useless as is all of that music we ripped from CD that's sitting on an old hard drive.

Apple needs to provide a way to copy over my entire library to the iPad (not just iTunes purchases).

Apple needs to make the Watch a perfect iPod replacement that does not require an iPhone or a desktop with iTunes. It needs to have

1) sufficient memory
2) ability to stream from multiple sources (websites, private networks, Podcasts, Apple Music, Apps)
3) ability to download the all the music I own, not just iTunes purchases
4) ability to download and manage libraries, browse, search and create playlists.
5) doesn't rely on cellular - in the real world rural areas - like where we go camping or hiking (or where some people live) don't have cellular coverage.

A Watch that is the iPod of the future and serves everyone (not just iPhone owners) is a very compelling device that would draw people into the Apple ecosystem.

On a related topic - it's still stupid that we can't download MP3/AAC files from the web through Safari and save them on iOS. 3rd party work-around required. They want to prevent illegal copying but also prevent legitimate activities.

MissHuffy

Feb 12, 2018
Visit site
Yes I have an iPod Classic 160GB which I use for bedtime listening as it's lovely to drift off to a book being read to one, It is also very useful for long journeys. I would not be without it and having read many of the other posts I'm so glad that I am not the only one who still uses their iPod.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My brother-in-law uses one. It’s actually a nano I believe. He is a painter and was up on the roof and Rob so it’s not been working as well as it used to but he still making do with it. He likes to use it for podcasts and music. Any download Podcasts that he wants to hear the next day and the night before and then he listens to them all day long. My sister was going to try and get a replacement panel for him for Christmas not knowing that they no longer made them. So not sure what he’s going to do when his nano kicks the bucket.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes I have an iPod Classic 160GB which I use for bedtime listening as it's lovely to drift off to a book being read to one, It is also very useful for long journeys. I would not be without it and having read many of the other posts I'm so glad that I am not the only one who still uses their iPod.
I had one and then got rid of it. It didn't fit my usage anymore.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I use one- I use it at night to listen to podcasts. (Helps me fall asleep). This way my phone charges and I’m not disturbed by notifications.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a 160GB Classic, but I haven't charged it in years, I don't really need it or use it for a few reasons. First my music libary is about 300GB or more and I like all of my music with me or not at all since I want to listen to anything I own. I had Music Match but never really used it once I got SiriusXM in my car, use that on my X and computer so I always have music I like across a range. I do miss the iPod but running with it was a hassle too.

nickdaman

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I still use my iPod 160GB classic monthly. My 80 gb classic got stolen out of my car 5 years ago so I use this guy for runs or long trips but definitely streaming music has been the most common way I get my music these days.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I was actually thinking about this a couple months ago. Aside from one who does not have a smartphone, they have pretty much become a niche device.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I use a Touch for running and working out. I refuse to have my phone with me while exercising. I’m currently using a blue 6th gen touch and hoping Apple releases a 7th gen. The 6 actually takes pretty good pics while I’m trail running.

GAnn

Oct 9, 2018
Visit site
I stumbled across this discussion looking for an affordable THIRD Ipod Shuffle. I had three, lost one, want another one. Hey if all those unused Ipod Shuffles out there are unwanted please sell on Amazon or some place. I've been processing mail for 32 years I don't have to concentrate to do the job anymore. I've never been so happy at work since I happened on to library books downloaded on my Ipod Shuffle which clips onto my pocket, out of the way. Is that new Ipod phone looking device as big as a phone? Exactly where would I keep that big thing while I move around at work? I need a third Ipod cause I got my coworker friend hooked on the library books, too. It seems like every commenter on here was youngish. I think we need a baby boomer manufacturer that caters to older customers. I like technology but you youngsters can have all the new, new this, new that. Music, music, music. I believe there's a lot of older people with lots of money to spend on the devices we prefer. We need a representative.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I stumbled across this discussion looking for an affordable THIRD Ipod Shuffle. I had three, lost one, want another one. Hey if all those unused Ipod Shuffles out there are unwanted please sell on Amazon or some place. I've been processing mail for 32 years I don't have to concentrate to do the job anymore. I've never been so happy at work since I happened on to library books downloaded on my Ipod Shuffle which clips onto my pocket, out of the way. Is that new Ipod phone looking device as big as a phone? Exactly where would I keep that big thing while I move around at work? I need a third Ipod cause I got my coworker friend hooked on the library books, too. It seems like every commenter on here was youngish. I think we need a baby boomer manufacturer that caters to older customers. I like technology but you youngsters can have all the new, new this, new that. Music, music, music. I believe there's a lot of older people with lots of money to spend on the devices we prefer. We need a representative.

iPod Touch isn’t nearly as big as any iPhone but it’s quite a bit thinner. Very pocketable. I understand the appeal of simplicity but access to content quickly and conveniently (even audio books) is going to be much greater on a device with a screen. iPod Touch also runs iOS so you have access to Audible, Kindle, iTunes, and other services like your library’s audio book app if they have one.
Even baby boomers like their iOS devices!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods