Do you think the Phone wars are ending?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am beginning to think that the all-out war between Android and Apple may be waning. I think that most people have made up their mind and have decided on which OS they like better. Neither OS is new anymore and most of us have tried them both and made a decision..

Do you guys agree with that? or am I missing the pulse of the average consumer?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I am beginning to think that the all-out war between Android and Apple may be waning. I think that most people have made up their mind and have decided on which OS they like better. Neither OS is new anymore and most of us have tried them both and made a decision..

I think as long as there is android and IOS there will be those who feel the OS of their choice is better than the other and holds a special place in their hearts lol

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I somewhat agree with you. I mean, both platforms are mainstream and everybody tends to know somebody who uses one of the other. Besides, Apple’s dilemma, in my opinion, is that the iPhone’s image is still viewed as being for people with wealth whereas iOS appears to be targeting millennials, whether they have wealth or not.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I just don't see many people in my world still wrestling over which way to go. They have picked their team and are happy with it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see many people in my world still wrestling over which way to go. They have picked their team and are happy with it.

It’s the same for me, for the most part, but every now and then I get the “I can’t stand Apple and the iPhone is a piece of crap” or the “I’d never buy an iPhone” remark.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I agree that most have picked their OS of choice and are satisfied with it for the most part. Now there will always be those who love to experiment with what the competition has to offer. Personally I feel this whole my OS is better than yours cult and the undying passion behind defending their choice is silly to me. Heck I'm still getting flack from a few friends who are BlackBerry fanatics that I'm a so called sell-out since I crossed over to Team Apple. All I can say is it's just a freaking phone and it doesn't define who I am or my life.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I agreed with that thinking until the rumored price of the iPhone 8 surfaced. If the 8 is in the $1k or higher range, I think the wars will start up again.

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree, however I have had 2 friends who "hated" apple and said they would never go with them start to change their minds just due to privacy! I think on the whole most people like sticking with what they know and to the average user most phones do the basics well, message, Facebook, instagram, snapchat and even calls! lol

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hahaha... Just go on a website like BGR and read the comments - that'll tell you that, at least to those people who regularly comment (read *troll*) that site definitely don't feel that way!

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

I agree until I read the comment section of ANYTHING Rene writes. It's like last call on the final night of shore leave.......

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

Hmm, I can agree to a point but I don't totally agree. There are people who haven't felt the need to choose until they are forced to.

Remember that the 2 year contract dying is a new thing. There are people who got their iPhone 6s at launch and will be considering if they should get an iPhone 7 or not in September/October.

I know someone who has always been Android and she likes big phones. She tried to upgrade to the Note 7...and we all know what happened there. Her hands were tied so she had to get a 7 Plus.

There are also some people who usually have/had iPhones but decided to hold on to their 6s(+) because the 7(+) doesn't have a headphone jack. Some of those people could have also ditched Apple because of the headphone jack being removed and how much they use it.

I don't think it will be gone, but I think it's more so when their hand is forced for them to choose something.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I agree until I read the comment section of ANYTHING Rene writes. It's like last call on the final night of shore leave.......

I think that may be more of a reflection of that journalist than the phone debate itself.:p

Regarding OP's post, I think things have settled. I mean, I just can't see the next 5 years being the same as the past 5 years in regards to the debate. Really, it's silly in the first place but some people seem to enjoy engaging in "vibrant discussions".

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I sure hope not. Competition always brings out the best and growth in competitors.

I agree wholeheartedly regarding competition. Consumers benefit when competition is vibrant. Speaking solely through that lens, we need a relevant third player. MS truly stumbled their initial opportunities, but I for one haven't taken them off the table completely. IMO, their mobile strategy needs to get off the drawing board and back in the game in some significant way. If they use Surface as the tip of the spear... then... maybe.

Coming back to the here and now though, I just don't see significant shifts in platform going forward. <5% ebb and flows, of course. But with user numbers in the billions, just too hard to move that many actual people.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I think that is true for the most part. Most people get used to one or the other and stick with it. More people are keeping their phones longer too. I look at my friends and most of them have at least a two year old phone. I live in a very close knit neighborhood. It's mostly iPhones and my wife, oldest daughter and I are the only ones with a 7/7 Plus. The Galaxy users have S6 and prior. Most are talking about upgrading soon though, noting that they are past their usual 2 year upgrade. I am confident that the iPhone users will stay iPhone. It is possible that the Galaxy users come over to iPhone though since most of the group is on iPhone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Having recently started to work in wireless part time again, these debates still continue from time to time. We often get questions on "Should I go Android or Apple?".

And the constant "My OS is better" debates still frequent many tech blogs I visit.

I think the debates will always be around lol.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I think that's because he can be far to quick to post an "Here is why you should switch to iPhone" article, sometimes. Rather than just letting people enjoy what they enjoy. So those types of articles will always bring out the debate.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I think that's because he can be far to quick to post an "Here is why you should switch to iPhone" article, sometimes. Rather than just letting people enjoy what they enjoy. So those types of articles will always bring out the debate.

I get that, but this IS iMore. I could understand that sentiment if the article was plastered on the front of Android Central. Speaking only for myself, I tend to purchase whatever smartphone I think is going to do what I want it to do. Sometimes that may be a Samsung or Motorola device. More often than not, I prefer iPhone. I still read and participate in both forums where I feel I can contribute and/or learn something. I've pointed new readers in this direction on more than one occasion. The overwhelming response is that the comments section is a major turnoff.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative