Still seeing ads even with ad blocker installed?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So I have an iPhone 7 and have never ads installed. I went under settings and safari and turned it on, yet I am still seeing ads? This didn't used to happen (I uninstalled it for a short time and reinstalled it) Do I need to do something or did they change to where it doesn't block all ads anymore?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is being reported throughout the web that Apple is blocking certain types of ad-blocking apps. In addition, I’ve read where popular ad-blocking apps like Weblock and Adblock can no longer be updated in the App Store. Whether or not it’s true, I don’t know because I dont use either app. Still, it could be the reason you’re still seeing ads despite having an ad-booking app installed on your device.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It is being reported throughout the web that Apple is blocking certain types of ad-blocking apps. In addition, I’ve read where popular ad-blocking apps like Weblock and Adblock can no longer be updated in the App Store. Whether or not it’s true, I don’t know because I dont use either app. Still, it could be the reason you’re still seeing ads despite having an ad-booking app installed on your device.

It is just weird because it seems to be hit or miss. Some are blocked, others aren't.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is just weird because it seems to be hit or miss. Some are blocked, others aren't.

Being that ad-blocking apps need near constant updating to up with the ever changing tactics of ad pushers, I can see how some are getting through, especially if Apple is indeed preventing an-blocking apps from being updated.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
What I read was that Apple is stopping the blocking of ads inside apps other than Safari. They're not doing anything to interfere with Safari ad blockers.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What I read was that Apple is stopping the blocking of ads inside apps other than Safari. They're not doing anything to interfere with Safari ad blockers.

Well I am seeing the ads in safari. I saw the article about apple, just seems weird it is off and on within safari in terms of blocking ads.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Well I am seeing the ads in safari. I saw the article about apple, just seems weird it is off and on within safari in terms of blocking ads.

It's got to be like the others wrote, a matter of updates. And not all blockers are created equal. Mine blocks well, but has never been able to get rid of the annoying slide-over contest ads here on this site. :p

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site

It's got to be like the others wrote, a matter of updates. And not all blockers are created equal. Mine blocks well, but has never been able to get rid of the annoying slide-over contest ads here on this site. :p

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use AdBlocker. It still works, but I have to constantly open the app to make it work. It needs an update, but it doesn't look as though Apple will allow it.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read,  has only stopped allowing them to update the app on the Store. Signatures can still be updated.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Also, am I the only one that is unable to block annoying ads on the iMore site? I have adblock turned on in chrome, and even block the ads manually, but they will not go away. They cover up the entire menu bar on the site.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Also, am I the only one that is unable to block annoying ads on the iMore site? I have adblock turned on in chrome, and even block the ads manually, but they will not go away. They cover up the entire menu bar on the site.

I get those annoying contest ads all the time, even with ad blocker.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They don't really need to be updated on the app store. Install one that has an option to update the filter list through the adblock app itself.

He's referring to ad block apps that only work in Safari. Those like AdBlock that block ads in other apps can no longer update due to Apple's restrictions.