Apple still undecided on iPhone 8 hardware features, hype train or truth?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
So it seems like there has been "rumors" lately of apple still unsure of hardware in iPhone 8. Seems like the same thing every year. But what do you think, hype building or some truth to it? https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/14/iphone-8-touch-id-or-face-recognition-opinion/

If they are planning to launch the iPhone 7S/8 in September, they have certainly already decided everything about the hardware, and the components (maybe even the phones) are already coming off the production line.

Can I politely ask whether you have any experience in the consumer electronics industry?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
If they are planning to launch the iPhone 7S/8 in September, they have certainly already decided everything about the hardware, and the components (maybe even the phones) are already coming off the production line.

Can I politely ask whether you have any experience in the consumer electronics industry?

I do not, although it would make sense that these models (2/3 however many they launch) would have been decided long ago, especially for a company the size of apple.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I do not, although it would make sense that these models (2/3 however many they launch) would have been decided long ago, especially for a company the size of apple.

Yes, absolutely. Apple plan to sell 40 million plus of these devices before Christmas. It's not just a question of how many iPhones Foxconn and friends can churn off their production line. All their suppliers also have to be prepared. 40 millions screens, 40 million cameras, etc, can't be sourced at the drop of a hat.

BTW, the article repeats the rumour that Apple Pay might be dropped. I have a sneaky feeling this will happen - maybe not this time, but eventually. I live in a country where contactless payments are very common and I genuinely never see anyone using Apple Pay (or Android Pay). Has it flopped this badly everywhere?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, absolutely. Apple plan to sell 40 million plus of these devices before Christmas. It's not just a question of how many iPhones Foxconn and friends can churn off their production line. All their suppliers also have to be prepared. 40 millions screens, 40 million cameras, etc, can't be sourced at the drop of a hat.

BTW, the article repeats the rumour that Apple Pay might be dropped. I have a sneaky feeling this will happen - maybe not this time, but eventually. I live in a country where contactless payments are very common and I genuinely never see anyone using Apple Pay (or Android Pay). Has it flopped this badly everywhere?

I have yet to see anyone use any type of pay (apple or android) I see terminals all over the place, yet near anyone using it. With that being said, I still think apple makes a good amount of $$ off of it, so I cannot see them dropping it anytime soon.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I have yet to see anyone use any type of pay (apple or android) I see terminals all over the place, yet near anyone using it. With that being said, I still think apple makes a good amount of $$ off of it, so I cannot see them dropping it anytime soon.

Do people use contactless payment cards in your country instead, or do they not use them at all? Contactless payments are now very common in many European countries, and I think in Asia too. My impression is that the banks have won this race by upgrading their debit and credit cards, and that Apple and Google are very far behind with smartphone payments, which are fiddly and require you to register a card with Apple or Google.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Do people use contactless payment cards in your country instead, or do they not use them at all? Contactless payments are now very common in many European countries, and I think in Asia too. My impression is that the banks have won this race by upgrading their debit and credit cards, and that Apple and Google are very far behind with smartphone payments, which are fiddly and require you to register a card with Apple or Google.

We are finally getting the chip and pins for cards, not contactless yet (here in the US anyway)

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree that it seems a little crazy for Apple to not have made a decision already.

As for Apple Pay. Contactless payment are really big in the U.K. But not specifically Apple Pay. I personally use it all the time as does all of my family.
It has got to the point where I can confidently leave the house without my wallet knowing I can make a purchase if I needed to

Android Pay is equally as popular

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree that it seems a little crazy for Apple to not have made a decision already.

Apple have made all the decisions already (assuming they will launch in September).

As for Apple Pay. Contactless payment are really big in the U.K. But not specifically Apple Pay. I personally use it all the time as does all of my family.
It has got to the point where I can confidently leave the house without my wallet knowing I can make a purchase if I needed to

Android Pay is equally as popular

I agree that contactless payments are very popular in many European countries now. I will watch out for people using their phones to pay (Apple or Android) but personally I have rarely it done. I think one problem may be the requirement to authorise the payment using the fingerprint reader - that's an extra step compared to using a bank card.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Apple have made all the decisions already (assuming they will launch in September).

To reply to my own post - maybe this is an oversimplification. I am sure Apple made all the hardware component decisions for this September's iPhones some time ago. There might be problems with the supply of specific components, however. For example, if the rumours about an OLED screen are true - OLED panels are hard to manufacture especially in high volumes, and there are few suppliers. It could be that Apple are having problems getting enough of these panels. Apple might also be having the same problem Samsung had with the fingerprint reader on the S8, which had to be moved from the front of the phone (Samsung reportedly failed to make it work well enough when integrated with the touchscreen) to the back (where the position is a bit awkward because it was too late to move other components such as the camera).

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
To reply to my own post - maybe this is an oversimplification. I am sure Apple made all the hardware component decisions for this September's iPhones some time ago. There might be problems with the supply of specific components, however. For example, if the rumours about an OLED screen are true - OLED panels are hard to manufacture especially in high volumes, and there are few suppliers. It could be that Apple are having problems getting enough of these panels. Apple might also be having the same problem Samsung had with the fingerprint reader on the S8, which had to be moved from the front of the phone (Samsung reportedly failed to make it work well enough when integrated with the touchscreen) to the back (where the position is a bit awkward because it was too late to move other components such as the camera).

Agree. It is also likely that they are working with several models trying to get the perfect combo of supply / cost

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox