Verizon data leak

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is way overblown. No information leaked out. A vendor for Verizon opened it up, then closed it immediately. It's a non issue.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
This is way overblown. No information leaked out. A vendor for Verizon opened it up, then closed it immediately. It's a non issue.

Not sure if I'd call it a "non-issue". Took a little over a week before it was resolved, and Verizon hasn't said how they have came to the conclusion that no data was stolen. We are essentially forced to take their word for it. Verizon is also pressing Nice on how this could have happened. They certainly aren't treating this as a "non-issue" either. This is actually kind of serious.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if I'd call it a "non-issue". Took a little over a week before it was resolved, and Verizon hasn't said how they have came to the conclusion that no data was stolen. We are essentially forced to take their word for it. Verizon is also pressing Nice on how this could have happened. They certainly aren't treating this as a "non-issue" either. This is actually kind of serious.

Change your pin then. I'm not concerned about it.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
What I see is the real problem is the crying wolf effect: too many reports that really don't have any consequence for average consumers. Overload on security worries, so we start ignoring them all.

For example, there's another (non-tech) forum I follow where a guy constantly and gleefully reports all "security breaks", especially Apple ones, often even those where the breacher would have to have physical access to your device (but he doesn't mention that; probably never dug into the story enough to find out; VERY common for these internet scares). I eventually put him on ignore. My time is better spent not knowing.

I'm already at that "crying wolf" point. If there was a way to set forums to not show me this kind of stuff I'd select it. If Verizon, Apple, or whoever don't think it's bad enough to contact me about it I'd rather not be bothered.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
What I see is the real problem is the crying wolf effect: too many reports that really don't have any consequence for average consumers. Overload on security worries, so we start ignoring them all.

For example, there's another (non-tech) forum I follow where a guy constantly and gleefully reports all "security breaks", especially Apple ones, often even those where the breacher would have to have physical access to your device (but he doesn't mention that; probably never dug into the story enough to find out; VERY common for these internet scares). I eventually put him on ignore. My time is better spent not knowing.

I'm already at that "crying wolf" point. If there was a way to set forums to not show me this kind of stuff I'd select it. If Verizon, Apple, or whoever don't think it's bad enough to contact me about it I'd rather not be bothered.

I think that is the problem though. I like to know about any leaks whether they are super serious or not. To just play it off like meh not super major, I don't care, is the reason these companies seem to be so careless with the data.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
If Verizon, Apple, or whoever don't think it's bad enough to contact me about it I'd rather not be bothered.

Agreed.

An even larger issue is the massive amount of self proclaimed "journalists" who are running a blog calling it a news outlet. I hate these sites with a passion. I tend to ignore these places and anything they've got to say.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73