why switching from android to iPhone?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
can smb convince me?

Welcome to iMore. You want someone to convince you to switch?...Switch because I said so (LOL), just kidding. If you want a device that just works the way it should day in and day out without all the "constant tweaking" then the iPhone is for you. Thanks for joing iMore. We hope to see you around the forums with your new iPhone ...ENJOY

Last edited:

zocster

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
i've moved your thread to the general discussion area, anyway, no one can convince you to do anything, I have both, and I like both. After-all they are the platform that are going places, currently.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Just saw this post. I jumped over in January and I am extremely pleased. I have no glitches when I get updates. Battery life is outstanding on my 7+. My only complaint is I wish ringtones were easier to download. Other than that it's all good

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
i've moved your thread to the general discussion area, anyway, no one can convince you to do anything, I have both, and I like both. After-all they are the platform that are going places, currently.

I like both and use both. If I could only have one, I could live with just having Android, couldn't do the same with just iPhone

russell664

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Not a lot of people enjoy TouchWiz

I'm one of them. I had a Nexus 6p, many issues with Bluetooth and the like. My mate got an iPhone 7 plus and I kinda liked it, after my trip to Scotland I had enough of my Nexus. (Constant power offs) so looked for a new phone, tried the Samsungs, Pixels and none of them I liked. In the meantime I borrowed an old iPhone 5 - I liked it, far too small and quite slow though.
So I decided to get an iPhone 7 plus in matte black, tried three stores until I found one, the last one!

I love it, the battery is great, and I wold say the screen looks better than my Nexus which was a @1400p panel.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm one of them. I had a Nexus 6p, many issues with Bluetooth and the like. My mate got an iPhone 7 plus and I kinda liked it, after my trip to Scotland I had enough of my Nexus. (Constant power offs) so looked for a new phone, tried the Samsungs, Pixels and none of them I liked. In the meantime I borrowed an old iPhone 5 - I liked it, far too small and quite slow though.
So I decided to get an iPhone 7 plus in matte black, tried three stores until I found one, the last one!

I love it, the battery is great, and I wold say the screen looks better than my Nexus which was a @1400p panel.

Congratulations!
I do enjoy stock Android but not as much as iOS.

russell664

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
I have used android since 2.1, and even developed a few things for it. But I have found as time goes on I don't have masses of time to tinker anymore and wanted things to 'just work' which thus far, do!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have used android since 2.1, and even developed a few things for it. But I have found as time goes on I don't have masses of time to tinker anymore and wanted things to 'just work' which thus far, do!

I came across the same exact situation. I got tired of customising and wanted things to be stock.

russell664

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
That was pretty much how I left the Nexus, though sometimes tweaking would cause massive issues.
I stumbled across these forums this evening so wanted to be part of the community. :)

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I had a similar experience with the 6p. Completely unreliable. Crazy battery drain. Finally died in an infinite boot loop. I love my 7+ for the battery life, consistency of performance and overall stability.

russell664

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
I had a similar experience with the 6p. Completely unreliable. Crazy battery drain. Finally died in an infinite boot loop. I love my 7+ for the battery life, consistency of performance and overall stability.

As with anything, I have heard some negatives to be honest. Such as people with matte black, the black layer flaking? Is that a common thing, or more scaremongering?

I have read the post on imore, proposing that it is people treating their phones badly. For the record, mine is in an apple leather case, which gets cleaned weeklyish.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There are many options on the Android side and I won't say there are none comparable to the iPhone. The iPhone was just a better buy for me in terms of overall value for the money so I went with it.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
iOS is more secure and polished than android. The only downside is you can't customized it your way as you do on android.

We won't know if iOS is more secure but there are certainly more in house security updates being pushed down by Apple. Security updates on Android are pushed by the manufacturer.

Tech2011

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Note 4 (yes, a Note 4) up until now. I switched over to an iPhone 8 Plus. The main reason I wanted an iPhone was to have access to iMessage, since all of my family members and most of my friends have iPhones. Having access to iMessage is huge because SMS is a very poor protocol for communication. The other reason was to have access to security and feature updates to the OS as soon as Apple pushed them out. I can testify first hand that the update situation with non-Google Android devices is a huge mess. My Note 4 received only two complete OS updates, and only a few of the monthly security patches. Even when those updates were pushed out, it would take weeks before my phone would even get the option to download the update.

As someone who can appreciate the importance of security updates, I'm glad to know that the device I switched to will be maintained by the OEM for at least a solid few years.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I came across the same exact situation. I got tired of customising and wanted things to be stock.

That's kind of the point of the Pixel, right?

I've never really tinkered on my Android phones. I simply went through all the settings to put things the way I want them (I do the same on iPhones) and then I use the phone like that... My iPhone still has the stock ringtones, wallpaper, widgets, and the icons on the home screens are basically the way they were out of the box for the most part. I've just never touched that stuff...

I see no reason why you couldn't use Android in the same way.

Owning a Pixel phone (for example) doesn't endow you with the obligation to tinker, root, and ROM, and mod the phone...

Owning an iPhone doesn't endow you with the obligation to tinker, JB, and mod that phone...

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
We won't know if iOS is more secure but there are certainly more in house security updates being pushed down by Apple. Security updates on Android are pushed by the manufacturer.

Security updates come from Google, then the manufacturers integrate it into their Android distributions and push it out to users (often via the carriers, who do their own testing).

All Pixels get updates directly from Google.

And I believe Android gets monthly security updates.

A Pixel/XL is comparable to an iPhone 8 or 8+ in the general sense. However, in the more specific/personal sense, it may not be depending on what other devices/content you own, or the apps/services you use on your phone.

If you have a ton of iBooks (and Audiobooks) and purchased iTunes Content (Movies, TV Shows), then this will be a problem because these things are only accessible on iOS smartphones. If you have Apple TV, iMac, and/or iPad... Then moving to Android can destroy workflows and integration...

If you're technology is already well-diversified, then this is not an issue - unless you are clinging onto certain services like iMessage.

The reverse is less of an issue, since Google services are well-supported on a variety of platforms (Roku has a Play Movies & TV App, for example), including iOS.

A trend that I've also noticed - in my social circle - is that iPhone users are more likely to buy iPhone-only apps than Android users; but that's anecdotal.

With cross-platform apps, I've been very successful at getting developers to give me a license for the other platform when I switched. This saves a lot of money, as many of the apps I use cost in the $5-15 range. You lose that option with platform-locked apps, which increases the effective cost of the device.

Last edited:

rodeTrip

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
i say go for it! if youve been thinking about it for a while now, just do it. it wont hurt to try, and you always have a couple of weeks to decide if you want to keep it or not...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner