If Siri were better, would you use it more?

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I am curious about community adoption of assistants. Siri has been around for years, but I don't know many people personally that utilize it fully. Some of my friends that carry an iPhone gave up on Siri some time ago and don't engage as much, if ever. I know some people don't really like talking at the phones unless they are talking to a human, but I thought this community could offer some insight on the topic.

So if Siri were better, would you use it more or would something else keep you away from that type of interface?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would. I used googles AI on my android phones a lot more than I use Siri. I would like to use Siri more but she is pretty bad.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Although it’s imperfect, Siri is one of my most used features and to answer your question, I’d use it in the same manner as I do now even with improvements.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I currently use Siri fairly often for dictation in simple text messages and email, rarely for questions and never for commands. If Siri improved I might try to use it more often for non-dictation tasks, yes.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I think Siri came out with the 4S, if I'm not mistaken, so that's 2011. I remember at the time people seemed to use it more, maybe because it was new and interesting feature. About 50% of my friends carry iPhones and they don't engage the assistant as much. When I've asked, a lot say they just don't think about it.

I see iPhone with such a head start on the competition, and I just wonder why it seems like an after thought with the people I am around. iMore has a much bigger sampling of personal usage, so maybe my friends are missing something ...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think Siri came out with the 4S, if I'm not mistaken, so that's 2011. I remember at the time people seemed to use it more, maybe because it was new and interesting feature. About 50% of my friends carry iPhones and they don't engage the assistant as much. When I've asked, a lot say they just don't think about it.

I see iPhone with such a head start on the competition, and I just wonder why it seems like an after thought with the people I am around. iMore has a much bigger sampling of personal usage, so maybe my friends are missing something ...

In addition, Siri is on multiple devices. Having said that, it’s possible that more people use Siri while driving than when they are not driving. I personally use Siri a lot, especially while driving, but I also use it often while using my iPhone. I don’t, however, use it with my iPad. It simply doesn’t dawn on me to use it whenever I’m on my iPad.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
In addition, Siri is on multiple devices. Having said that, it’s possible that more people use Siri while driving than when they are not driving. I personally use Siri a lot, especially while driving, but I also use it often while using my iPhone. I don’t, however, use it with my iPad. It simply doesn’t dawn on me to use it whenever I’m on my iPad.

So that's interesting... So with the HomePod set for this fall, if you were to purchase one of those do you think you'd engage more? I'm thinking you're pretty set in your routine, iPhone and driving...

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So that's interesting... So with the HomePod set for this fall, if you were to purchase one of those do you think you'd engage more? I'm thinking you're pretty set in your routine, iPhone and driving...

Yeah, I’m pretty set in my routine, so to speak, so I doubt I’d engage Siri more via a HomePod. I mean, I already use Siri via the TV, my iPhone and via CarPlay in specific ways. Having a HomePod wouldn’t alter my usage - at least not in a manner I can foresee at this time. Know what I mean?

Kilwillie

May 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm too self-conscious to talk to my phone (as opposed to talking to someone on it) in public. I occasionally use Siri when driving. That's the most use for me.

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I use Siri all the time for writing lists, making appointments and setting reminders, starting my music, reading texts, etc. So far I haven't experienced any issues with accuracy or anything like that. I don't think I could use it more than I already do.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't use Siri at all, didn't bother to enable it. Having watched other people shouting at their phones in cars and bars I can't see any reason to raise my irritation level any higher !

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I definitely would. I have a love/hate relationship with Siri. When I'm driving, and a text comes in from my husband, I love being able to say Siri, read my text. When I'm in bed, I love being able to say, Siri, turn on my alarm for 6:10 am. But when I'm out walking my dog, and she dives into a bush that I think is suspicious and as Siri what Poison Ivy looks like, I hate her response "I found this article on wikipedia about Poison Ivy, would you like me to read it to you?". I just wanted a picture. Google is much better at that sort of thing. But I'm on team Siri, and WANT Siri to be the best, so I keep on hanging in there with her/him!!!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I use Siri a lot, improvements would be welcomed as with anything. As I was typing, and thru my AirPods I instructed Siri to play music...music started playing. I try and keep my commands as simple as possible for Siri as well as myself...LOL

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I know its fun to see everyones responses, but I think it's a given if a product works well, maybe even better than its competitors ... people will use it...

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I know its fun to see everyones responses, but I think it's a given if a product works well, maybe even better than its competitors ... people will use it...

Indeed. Perhaps the question should've been worded a bit differently, but there are some that aren't interested in engaging an assistant regardless of how well it may work. They are uncomfortable using voice commands or whatever. Then there are some that used Siri in the beginning, that just gave up for whatever reason and their habits now don't include engaging Siri as an interface any more.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I don't use Siri at all, didn't bother to enable it. Having watched other people shouting at their phones in cars and bars I can't see any reason to raise my irritation level any higher !

So for you, what irritates you about that? Is it people using voice commands or something else?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
.... there are some that aren't interested in engaging an assistant regardless of how well it may work. They are uncomfortable using voice commands or whatever. .....
Don’t forget the fact that some people simply prefer to do things the way they’ve been doing them and thus simply don’t want or need a HomePod.....

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I definitely would. I have a love/hate relationship with Siri. When I'm driving, and a text comes in from my husband, I love being able to say Siri, read my text. When I'm in bed, I love being able to say, Siri, turn on my alarm for 6:10 am. But when I'm out walking my dog, and she dives into a bush that I think is suspicious and as Siri what Poison Ivy looks like, I hate her response "I found this article on wikipedia about Poison Ivy, would you like me to read it to you?". I just wanted a picture. Google is much better at that sort of thing. But I'm on team Siri, and WANT Siri to be the best, so I keep on hanging in there with her/him!!!

Indeed. I believe Apple will make great strides in the near future with Siri. Your response is in the group I think is the most interesting. It's a user like you that I had in mind in the opening post. You do use Siri currently, but you'd like a more robust interface.

Your poison ivy situation is a great example, I think. You'd like to use Siri for information and not just simple tasks.

Last edited:

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
So for you, what irritates you about that? Is it people using voice commands or something else?

If you read my post you will notice I used the word 'Shouting', The places I mentioned are noisy, Siri does not work well in such environments. Also there is nothing more annoying than some nitwit bellowing the same phrase over and over again. In a moving car I suggest you go outside !!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro