Question about the Merchant's side of Apple Pay

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rene!

First of all, thanks for creating this forum, it's really awesome.

My question is regarding Apple Pay. My country doesn't support Apple Pay (yet), but I want to get ready for that most joyous of days.

I already know that banks need to explicitly support Apple Pay, but what about merchants? What I mean is, if a merchant already accepts contactless payments, will they also (automatically) accept Apple Pay when it is available through one or more banks? Or is there a process that each merchant needs to go through in order to enable Apple Pay transactions on their POS terminals?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Iskren

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

I guess chances are good that most merchants with contactless payment terminals will support Apple Pay out of the box.

The reason why I wanted to ask Rene about this is because on one episode of the iMore Show Rene mentioned that most Canadian retailers support Apple Pay. I am curious about the ones that do not support it - do they just flat out lack contactless payment terminals or is there another reason for the Apple Pay unavailability?

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Some retailers in the US don't support it because they have their own form of contactless payment method or are a part of another program.

Last edited:

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I've only had two merchants not accept Apple Pay (Canada) with contactless terminals. One is Walmart, which is a founding member of CurrentC and is an Apple Pay opponent and the other is Hero Burger.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77