Corrupt backup

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
That sucks! And often there is no way to know the backup has failed until you try and restore it!

As far as I know your photos sadly are lost unless you have iCloud Photo Library on in which case your photos are safe there.

If you've got the older photo stream on then your last 30 days photos will be available to download but anything older than that will be lost.

Not great news I'm afraid

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Please make sure your iPhone runs on the same or higher iOS version as the backup was made of.
Higher iOS versions can't be restored to devices with lower iOS versions.

If this was not the case, I hope your issue gets solved otherwise.

sjf707

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replies. iTunes was 12.5. iOS for all phones 10.2.1. No cloud Pics gone. Lesson learned. Cloud backup added

sjf707

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying Decipher fix tool. But currently it's not taking the encrypted password. I have messages out to them and iTunes.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Ugh! I'm so sorry. This is terrible!

Yes, please turn on iCloud backup or use Dropbox or Google Photo or some form of offsite backup. Even with a successful iTunes backup, you're only one fire/flood/theft away from losing local copies anyway.

There might be data recovery services you can try, though they could be expensive. If you ever mailed/messaged photos, those could be in your sent folders or the people you sent them to could have copies.

Also, if you backed up the computer with iTunes, there could be an older backup of your iPhone for you to try.

HelloWheeler

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I assume that your Mac has the backup password stored, since you were able to get as far as the corrupt message. If you open the Keychain Access app on your Mac, select Passwords, and search for iPhone that may help.

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
This is probably going to get me laughed at but here goes:

I've had iTunes twice now tell me it couldn't restore an iPhone due to a corrupt backup or not compatible iPhone. Both times I was able to get it to work by restarting the iPhone and iTunes. Hope you get your sorted out. Cheers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen