I am using gmail via the mail app on my Mac computers and iOS devices and cannot figure out how to set-up so that when I delete an email it is deleted from all devices and gmail server (trashed and not archived). I don't actually use the mail app on my computers but need to import my gmail account to set-up mail. I'll find that some email deleted from my iPad or iPhone will still be visible when I use gmail on my computers, and much of this mail is also under 'all mail' and archived rather than in my trash that auto deleted after 30 days. If I delete something I want it in the trash, not archived unless I specify that option, but have been unable to figure out how to change this? Hope someone knows the answer as I have tons of archived mail in my gmail account that I'd like to get rid of permanently since many are ads, etc.
    02-25-2017 01:51 PM
    To set to delete mail on your phone, go to settings > mail > Accounts > gmail> Account > advanced > check "deleted mailbox". Return to Account > Tap Done in the upper right corner.
    02-25-2017 02:52 PM
    Thanks for the reply and 'think' I have those settings enabled but I'll re-check on both my iPhone and iPad. The issue might be more of a Gmail setting for email behavior with IMAP accounts because there are some settings to choose from under the IMAP section? It may possibly only affect the email that I delete when using my computers since I don't use the Apple mail app and access Gmail directly when using my iMac or MacBook. Thoughts on this?
    02-26-2017 01:40 AM
    If you want your Gmail to act independent on your devices, you might have to set it up on the phone as a pop account, rather than imap. Not sure of that though. I simply set mine as as it does it on my phone. Entered my credentials and it was done.
    02-26-2017 11:53 AM
    The default is to archive, but use the settings @Ledsteplin showed and you'll be deleting in no time.
    02-27-2017 04:39 AM
    To set to delete mail on your phone, go to settings > mail > Accounts > gmail> Account > advanced > check "deleted mailbox". Return to Account > Tap Done in the upper right corner.
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b1eb7db5b2.jpg
    Thanks, I'll try these settings as I had the same question.
    03-26-2017 07:08 AM
    Thanks, I'll try these settings as I had the same question.
    Be sure after you check "deleted mailbox", you return to the "account" page and tap "Done" in the upper right corner.
    03-26-2017 08:30 AM
    Be sure after you check "deleted mailbox", you return to the "account" page and tap "Done" in the upper right corner.
    Thanks!
    03-26-2017 05:29 PM
    Thanks!
    I mention that because when I first set up mine, I missed it. It was later someone showed me my error.
    03-26-2017 05:47 PM
    I mention that because when I first set up mine, I missed it. It was later someone showed me my error.
    It's easy to miss, thanks again.
    03-26-2017 06:02 PM