Apple Media vs. Mainstream...

dscoti

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Rene asked how do the tech writers get it so wrong. I absolutely agree with his thoughts and conclusions. Most are thinking about how these products relate to themselves, not with everyday users.

However, another thought crept in as I read his post. That tech writers are just as blind as political writers/analysts were during the last US Presidential election. Remember how shocked they were at the results.

I believe this is an indictment on all press everywhere. They write they opinions as if it were hard fact and to not believe them and take them at their word is foolish.

John Gruber and Rene agree that people like Mark Gurman get a lot of facts right, but get the story the facts tell wrong. That is because clicks generate revenue, therefore, you have to write so as to get the most clicks, who cares about the truth.

Finally there are "haters" out there who are completely intolerant of other views. And they are usually the most vocal. I like my  devices, but I'm not a "fanboy". They work for me. At least 3 of my closest friends carry Android, and one uses a MacBook Pro. We have a great exchange of thoughts and ideas about why we like what we use.

So, Rene, keep writing like this. You are one of the best. Until iMore changed their format to more How To, it was the best place to go for thoughtful, meaningful, unbiased and trustworthy tech news.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...That is because clicks generate revenue, therefore, you have to write so as to get the most clicks, who cares about the truth.

That is what irritates people like me who look for the truth. Far too many people make the mistake of assuming something is factually correct simply because someone famous spoke it and it never occurs to them that those famous people could be ignorant.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
John Gruber and Rene agree that people like Mark Gurman get a lot of facts right, but get the story the facts tell wrong. That is because clicks generate revenue, therefore, you have to write so as to get the most clicks, who cares about the truth.
I think Gurman is still learning on the job. He's an incredible source guy but his writing needs work.

I still recommend to people to read what is outside of "Apple Media", as you put it, in order to get extra perspective on products. I think it's okay to dismiss some of it but I also think it's okay to dismiss some of the "Apple Media." There tends to be a lot of back scratching that goes on in order for some writers to stay in Apple's good graces. Gruber is pretty good and I find his work and commentary to be more subjective than most of the others. However I see guys like Jim Dalrymple who I just cannot take seriously whatsoever. He is way too deep in his Apple love-fest. It's all perspective, I guess.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
"Clicks" don't create lasting value.

If you write something just for "clicks" people will feel burned and won't come back next time. Or they'll just "click" whomever baits them next.

I've always wanted a better relationship with readers than that.

It's tough fighting for attention these days when someone is just as likely to see 19 Kanye stories in their feed to your one editorial, and there's just so much more to consume than ever before, but at the end of the day, I think it's best to write something that stands the test of time and that builds towards what you write next.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner