iPad mail won't recognize default account

PatrickMcA

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
I've already posted this in an iPad forum, but haven't received a solution, so I hope René can help. Here's my original question.
I have three email accounts set up in Apple Mail on my iPad Mini4. I'll call them Accounts A, B, and C. I have set Account C as my default account in Mail Settings, but whenever I reply to an email, even ones sent to Account C, my reply always is defaulted to Account B. Sure, I can change that in the reply to C, but this is a nuisance, since I always want my emails to be seen as coming from C. Strangely, when I compose a new email, they usually default to B, but occasionally come from C. How can I get Mail to always send my emails from C?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think your original thread will add some info for people. Sorry I didn't get back to the thread as an IT Admin my days are jam packed. What I would advise now is deleting your email accounts from the iPad. Then setup whichever you want to be default Account C. Set it as default reboot, send a couple of test emails. Setup Account B reboot setup Account A reboot and then once they are all back in there see if the phone acts normally.

http://forums.imore.com/ipad-mini-4/382518-ipad-mail-won-t-recognize-default-email-account.html

PatrickMcA

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to my problem. Deleting the accounts and re-adding them was going to be my next attempt to solve the problem, but I was hoping for something less of a pain in the neck. Guess I'll just have to look up all my mail settings for the three accounts and do it. The other option that occurred to me was to use a different Mail app. I hear that Microsoft's Outlook app for iOS is pretty good. Of course, I'll still have to set up the three accounts all over again.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
If I understand the way it works correctly, the default account you set is what it'll go to unless its AI thinks you typically respond/receive from a different account, and then it will use that one instead. You'll sometimes even see it changing when you add the to: address and it sees which account that address is most often used with.

Other than that, it's a pref toggle, so try toggling it :)

PatrickMcA

Jun 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response, Rene. I wonder if this may be the problem: I actually have several email addresses, but all are forwarded to my Gmail account, which is the Account B mentioned in my original post. Most of my other addresses are not set up as accounts in Mail. The one I called Account A is an iCloud account, which I never use, but which Apple seems to want to set up automatically in Mail. That's not a problem. My Account C, which is the one I have set as my default account in Mail Settings, is with a domain I own that I created strictly for email and it's the address that I give to all my contacts and it's the one I want everyone to see my mail coming from. But it is also forwarded to Gmail. When I receive an email that someone has sent to my Account C address, I see that address in the email as the one that it was sent to, even though I'm receiving it through Gmail. But when I reply, the sending address in the reply is not my default address (C), but my Gmail address (B). Could this be because Apple Mail is so "smart" that it saw I received the email via Gmail, so it's cleverly creating my reply from Gmail?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2