iOS 10.2.1 installed the NHL app automatically. Wait...what?!

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Forgive me if I missed an announcement, but after updating my iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro last night, I discovered the process had installed the NHL app (as in hockey) on both devices without my knowledge. I did the update wirelessly.

And, no, there's no chance I forgot I had them. They are in a open spot on a page and have the little blue dot indicating there's new etc.

Anyone know what's going on?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Apple doesn't preload (or allow your carrier to preload) 3rd party apps on iOS devices.

I highly doubt a 3rd party app would have been installed as part of an iOS update.

Have you recently purchased the NHL app on another device (Apple TV, perhaps?) Depending on your settings, your phone and iPad might automatically download apps purchased from other devices.

Have you noticed any other activity related to your Apple ID? Do you share your Apple ID or devices with multiple people?

Regardless, you might want to consider changing your Apple ID password and enabling 2 factor authentication.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't preload (or allow your carrier to preload) 3rd party apps on iOS devices.

I highly doubt a 3rd party app would have been installed as part of an iOS update.

Have you recently purchased the NHL app on another device (Apple TV, perhaps?) Depending on your settings, your phone and iPad might automatically download apps purchased from other devices.

Have you noticed any other activity related to your Apple ID? Do you share your Apple ID or devices with multiple people?

Regardless, you might want to consider changing your Apple ID password and enabling 2 factor authentication.

Hey, thanks njlx2016, you're probably onto something.

I called Apple and they couldn't figure it out either and might call me back after they look into it. But they suspected a bug related to my Family Sharing account that includes sharing apps and an Apple Music subscription etc.

My two sons do have the NHL app. That said, Apple agreed it shouldn't download itself onto my devices.....although I did play hockey back in the day! :cool:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro