What Am I Missing Not Being in Apple Ecosystem?

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My devices and hardware

iPhone 7
iMac
MacBook
iPad

I don't use Apple services or apps only if I want too. I use Google services.

Someone said with the Apple ecosystem they don't miss a notification. I don't miss a notification not using Apple stuff.

What am I missing?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
My devices and hardware

iPhone 7
iMac
MacBook
iPad

Someone said with the Apple ecosystem they don't miss a notification. I don't miss a notification not using Apple stuff.

What am I missing?

You appear to be well into the ecosystem.

For me personally, the addition of the Apple Watch was much appreciated. For example, if I'm at work I can go all through the office and even if I forgot my phone at my desk I can still respond to texts or answer calls or view emails if needed. All that is possible because of the addition of the Apple Watch into my workflow.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
You appear to be well into the ecosystem.

For me personally, the addition of the Apple Watch was much appreciated. For example, if I'm at work I can go all through the office and even if I forgot my phone at my desk I can still respond to texts or answer calls or view emails if needed. All that is possible because of the addition of the Apple Watch into my workflow.

Couldn't I do that with the ecosystem I am in? I use iMessage and I do get texts via my carrier. Calls are through my carrier.

I'm not degrading Apple products or ecosystem. Just want to know what I'm missing by intentionally not being in it. Cause if it's better I would defiantly consider changing over.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My devices and hardware

iPhone 7
iMac
MacBook
iPad

What am I missing?

You may not be missing anything, especially if the services you currently use are sufficient for your needs with the devices you have. Remember, just because you have Apple products, you are not locked to its services. Apple is more than happy for you to use its products with other services because people who are using non-Apple services, but want an Apple product will be more likely to purchase one and then wonder about its services.

Last edited:

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
These are the apps and services I use on my Apple hardware.

Browser: Chrome

Email: Inbox / gmail

Photos: Google Photos

Fast searches on mobile: Google app

Navigation: Google Maps

Docs: Google Drive, Docs

Calendar: Google Calendar

Google News

Music: Spotify

Seems like all my stuff ties in good with each other.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
You may not be missing anything, especially if the services you currently use is sufficient for your needs with the devices you have. Remember, just because you have Apple products, you are not locked to its services. Apple is more than happy for you to use its products with other services because people who are using non-Apple services, but want an Apple product will be more likely to purchase one and then wonder about its services.

Thanks. Honestly I've always had Apple hardware. In fact I still have the 1st iPhone.

But what I keep hearing is the Apple ecosystem integrates all hardware very well.

I like best integration between hardware myself. With that being said what makes Apple ecosystem better since all my stuff is Apple and will always be Apple.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Honestly I've always had Apple hardware. In fact I still have the 1st iPhone.

But what I keep hearing is the Apple ecosystem integrates all hardware very well.

I like best integration between hardware myself. With that being said what makes Apple ecosystem better since all my stuff is Apple and will always be Apple.

The Apple ecosystem is inherent to its devices, just like Google's, Microsoft's, and Blackberry's. In that sense, it's better. Remember, some things are exclusive to the brand. iMessage and FaceTime, for example.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
The Apple ecosystem is inherent to its devices, just like Google's, Microsoft's, and Blackberry's. In that sense, it's better. Remember, some things are exclusive to the brand. iMessage and FaceTime, for example.

Right I understand some things are exclusive to Apple like iMessage and FaceTime. I use both myself.

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site

I think this point is important. Choosing different services may work very well on any device, but not quite as well as when they are a part of an entire system. MS software can be run on many devices for example, but the best experience will be on the Windows operating system.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't I do that with the ecosystem I am in? I use iMessage and I do get texts via my carrier. Calls are through my carrier.

I'm not degrading Apple products or ecosystem. Just want to know what I'm missing by intentionally not being in it. Cause if it's better I would defiantly consider changing over.

My example is a result of me leaving my phone and any other device at my desk as I go through my office. My watch, being that it is on my wrist, is always on me thus I am always connected.

I can't convince you that you are missing anything honestly. Your products and services may work perfectly well for you. For me, personally, if I am at my desk or working at home I enjoy not having to look at my phone when a call or a text comes through because all of that will go through my MacBook or my iPad Pro. If I'm reading an article on my computer I enjoy being able to hand that article off to my phone if I need to leave and continue it while I'm out. I enjoy being able to input directions into my phone and have my Apple Watch handle the task of directing me rather than needing to look at my phone.

If what you have works for you then that's great. You may not be missing out on anything.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My example is a result of me leaving my phone and any other device at my desk as I go through my office. My watch, being that it is on my wrist, is always on me thus I am always connected.

I can't convince you that you are missing anything honestly. Your products and services may work perfectly well for you. For me, personally, if I am at my desk or working at home I enjoy not having to look at my phone when a call or a text comes through because all of that will go through my MacBook or my iPad Pro. If I'm reading an article on my computer I enjoy being able to hand that article off to my phone if I need to leave and continue it while I'm out. I enjoy being able to input directions into my phone and have my Apple Watch handle the task of directing me rather than needing to look at my phone.

If what you have works for you then that's great. You may not be missing out on anything.

Since I'm mobile most of the day because of the nature of my job, my daily driver is an iPhone 7 and an iPad Pro. I do have an iMac as MacBook. The only time I use the iMac or MacBook is when I need to use them for business related stuff that can't be done on my mobile daily drivers. Not on the iMac or MacBook often and don't spend much time on them. I have a couple of websites and most of website related stuff can be done on my iPad and even on my iPhone only after initial installation of various Wordpress apps. I also need to get on my iMac or MacBook when I have to print eBay labels. Other than that I much prefer my iPhone and when I'm lounging around at home I prefer my iPad.

So I want the best integration between my iPhone and iPad not necessarily with my iMac and MacBook per se. When I'm on the iMac or MacBook I always have my iPhone with me and not concerned about getting notifications on the Mac or MacBook. Plus when I'm on the Mac or MacBook I'm on Chrome so I have access to mail, calendar etc.

If I had a desk job then most likely that would change but like I said my job is completely mobile in a work vehicle.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I would say you are getting the best of both worlds. I don't use Macs, but my whole family is on iPhones and iPads. We enjoy the hardware, but are very well ingrained in the Google app world. We use Google classroom, docs, calendar, email, photos, etc...everyday and it works great on Apples hardware. I think Google is so far ahead of Apple in the services game that I could not switch. We do use iMessage and FaceTime all the time and nothing Google offers compares so by having Apple products paired with the rest of Google services we can have the best of both worlds.

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This! -->
You may not be missing anything, especially if the services you currently use are sufficient for your needs with the devices you have.

It's funny to notice that some people and articles have said that 3rd party apps (i.e Google apps) are smoother or more polished in iOS than in other OS's. I use both services, you probably are not missing anything and it's perfectly ok if that Google set up works fine for you in all your Apple devices.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I would say you are getting the best of both worlds. I don't use Macs, but my whole family is on iPhones and iPads. We enjoy the hardware, but are very well ingrained in the Google app world. We use Google classroom, docs, calendar, email, photos, etc...everyday and it works great on Apples hardware. I think Google is so far ahead of Apple in the services game that I could not switch. We do use iMessage and FaceTime all the time and nothing Google offers compares so by having Apple products paired with the rest of Google services we can have the best of both worlds.

Yep I agree Google is WAY ahead of Apple in the services game. Like you we do use iMessage and occasionally FaceTime but those are one of the few Apple services we use.

It's like Google wants Apple users to have a better experience with their services. Google apps are VERY clean and polished on iOS and on our Mac.

I use Google Now A LOT on my iPhone too. I really like it. Also TO ME looks like Google Assistant is better than Siri watching a lot of video comparisons. I especially like how GA integrates with Google services like Google Maps for instance.

My topic was 'What am I missing...'. From a lot of posts so far it doesn't look like I'm missing anything unless I'm overlooking something.

Maybe one day there will be a collaboration with Apple and Google to create an iGoogle phone lol.

Last edited:

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have an Iphone 7+, 13inch MacBook Pro (Spring of 2015), IPad Pro 12.9, Apple Watch (The original one).. and everything works in sync and unison and I don't know why I am always considering Android and Google products???

I have the best tech in the world. I should just enjoy it!!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep I agree Google is WAY ahead of Apple in the services game. Like you we do use iMessage and occasionally FaceTime but those are one of the few Apple services we use.

It's like Google wants Apple users to have a better experience with their services. Google apps are VERY clean and polished on iOS and on our Mac.

I use Google Now A LOT on my iPhone too. I really like it. Also TO ME looks like Google Assistant is better than Siri watching a lot of video comparisons. I especially like how GA integrates with Google services like Google Maps for instance.

My topic was 'What am I missing...'. From a lot of posts so far it doesn't look like I'm missing anything unless I'm overlooking something.

Maybe one day there will be a collaboration with Apple and Google to create an iGoogle phone lol.

I agree. I really don't think you are missing anything. I think everyone has their preference, but for me (and you), I think the combo of iPhone/iPad and Google services is a win. I certainly will not rule out the next Google Pixel, but for now I am very happy running all my Google services on the 7 Plus.

I am definitely interested in the Google Assistant though. I enjoyed it on the Pixel and it is only going to get better. Siri just doesn't compete at this time. I hope that changes though. Competition is always good.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I really don't think you are missing anything. I think everyone has their preference, but for me (and you), I think the combo of iPhone/iPad and Google services is a win. I certainly will not rule out the next Google Pixel, but for now I am very happy running all my Google services on the 7 Plus.

I am definitely interested in the Google Assistant though. I enjoyed it on the Pixel and it is only going to get better. Siri just doesn't compete at this time. I hope that changes though. Competition is always good.

My co worker who I spend a lot of time with in our company vehicle has the Pixel and he lets me play with it. It's like the iPhone's counterpart.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried Google Calendar? It's such a better app.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen