iPhone 6 to iPhone 7? Worth the Upgrade

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Currently have an iPhone 6. Hardly any reviews or VBlogs that talk about going from the 6 to the 7. Pretty much talks about going from the 6S to the 7.

Is it worth the upgrade going from a 6 to a 7? Thanks!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I really value the OIS cameras in newer models, and especially the dual camera with a 7 Plus and batter life with all Plus models. Those may or may not be important to you.

At another level I'm an enterprise sr IT admin with lots of company owned mobile and BYOD. People with 4 series and flip phones are still making calls and doing text messages. Some top execs in a place with 650+ employees are happy with 4S and 5C phones while part-time service labor staff with barely a pot to pee in sit in the break rooms with the latest flagship phones. That's why it ultimately has to be a personal choice.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I really value the OIS cameras in newer models, and especially the dual camera with a 7 Plus and batter life with all Plus models. Those may or may not be important to you.

At another level I'm an enterprise sr IT admin with lots of company owned mobile and BYOD. People with 4 series and flip phones are still making calls and doing text messages. Some top execs in a place with 650+ employees are happy with 4S and 5C phones while part-time service labor staff with barely a pot to pee in sit in the break rooms with the latest flagship phones. That's why it ultimately has to be a personal choice.

The plus it too big for my needs. Had the 6 plus for a while when it first came out and sold it to get a 6. The plus wasn't 'comfortably portable' for me. Yes I could carry it in my pockets but wasn't comfortable. Also prefer one hand usage which I can do EASILY on a 6.

I do take a lot of pictures and looks like the 7 has a better camera than the 6. Looks like if I had a 6S I would probably wait.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I went from the 6 to the 7 Plus and it was worth the jump. The speed, camera and size are amazing. But the 7 is every bit as formidable. I'd say it is worth moving up.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I went from the 6 to the 7 Plus and it was worth the jump. The speed, camera and size are amazing. But the 7 is every bit as formidable. I'd say it is worth moving up.

The reason I want to upgrade is because I'm on an old family legacy 4 line plan each line has unlimited data with AT&T. Called the loyalty department and they offered me an iPhone 7 or a 7 plus on a 2 year contract. An iPhone 7 128GB will cost me $299 on a 2 year contract. I don't mind getting on a 2 year contact as I've done it many times in the past when AT&T offered 2 year contracts and did away with them. I'm thinking it's a no brainer. The loyalty rep said that when the iPhone 8 comes out I'll be able to upgrade on a 2 year contract again and it's in the notes.

When the iPhone 6 came out I got a plus. Then sold it to get a 6 cause for me the plus wasn't comfortably portable. I'm happy with a non plus.

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
6 to 7 is a justifiable upgrade.
*Better camera, obviously.
*3D Touch
*Faster fingerprint recognition
*Stereo speakers

Those are one of the improvements I can think of.

If your financial situation allows it, just go for it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I went from a 6 to a 7. Honestly, it doesn't feel all that much faster or that the camera is really that much better. I really don't even notice the OIS making a difference. The camera does perform a little better in low light situations.

The main reason I upgraded was because the bottom mic on my 6 was broken from liquid damage and I also cracked the screen around the same time. This happened two weeks after my AppleCare+ warranty ended. So I needed a new iPhone and the 7 was just about to be released.

If you are satisfied with your 6 then it's really up to you if you want to spend the money. I still have my 6 and really it performs just fine with iOS 10.

Edit - I will add that the battery is a little better. The TouchID is a lot better. I do prefer the new home button that is not really a button. The stereo speakers are nice to have but I don't ever play music out of them. IMO these are all just icing on the cake and not really worth an upgrade on their own.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I went from a 6 to a 7. Honestly, it doesn't feel all that much faster or that the camera is really that much better. I really don't even notice the OIS making a difference. The camera does perform a little better in low light situations.

The main reason I upgraded was because the bottom mic on my 6 was broken from liquid damage and I also cracked the screen around the same time. This happened two weeks after my AppleCare+ warranty ended. So I needed a new iPhone and the 7 was just about to be released.

If you are satisfied with your 6 then it's really up to you if you want to spend the money. I still have my 6 and really it performs just fine with iOS 10.

Edit - I will add that the battery is a little better. The TouchID is a lot better. I do prefer the new home button that is not really a button. The stereo speakers are nice to have but I don't ever play music out of them. IMO these are all just icing on the cake and not really worth an upgrade on their own.

The upgrade will cost me $299. A co worker wants to buy my iPhone 6 64GB for $300.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
6 to 7 is a justifiable upgrade.
*Better camera, obviously.
*3D Touch
*Faster fingerprint recognition
*Stereo speakers

Those are one of the improvements I can think of.

If your financial situation allows it, just go for it.

Not to mention a sturdier frame (stronger aluminum) and water resistance so you don't have to worry about using it with wet hands or in the rain. Also, once you experience the solid state home button you'll never want to go back.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention a sturdier frame (stronger aluminum) and water resistance so you don't have to worry about using it with wet hands or in the rain. Also, once you experience the solid state home button you'll never want to go back.

Picked up the 7 today on a subsidized 2 year contract through retentions. And you're right the solid state home button I don't want to go back.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Touch ID is WICKED FAST!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I think that is a good upgrade since you already had a buyer lined up for your iPhone 6. Where did you do the 2-year contract pricing?

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I would say it's worth the upgrade if: you're on T-Mobile USA (band 12 is awesome!), you want 3D Touch and you want a better camera. Those are the first advantages the iPhone 7 definitely has over the 6 off the top of my head. I have the iPhone 6s, which has all of those things compared to the iPhone 6, so I stuck with my phone. But it's definitely a considerable upgrade to go from the 6 to the 7.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I would say it's worth the upgrade if: you're on T-Mobile USA (band 12 is awesome!), you want 3D Touch and you want a better camera. Those are the first advantages the iPhone 7 definitely has over the 6 off the top of my head. I have the iPhone 6s, which has all of those things compared to the iPhone 6, so I stuck with my phone. But it's definitely a considerable upgrade to go from the 6 to the 7.

Yep just upgraded and couldn't be happier. It feels like not a 'full' bonafied upgrade like it was coming from the 5 to the 6 but it's definitely an upgrade especially under the hood. This device is wicked fast and smooth as a baby's butt!

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I think that is a good upgrade since you already had a buyer lined up for your iPhone 6. Where did you do the 2-year contract pricing?

Yea basically got the iPhone 7 for free. Well forgot about tax. The upgrade cost me $299 plus tax. I sold my 6 for $300. So the iPhone 7 cost me $20. I don't mind even a little bit getting on a 2 year contact plus keeping unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner