Exclusively Apple

604ac

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
More like; Who has left or does not use any Google services at all? I mean stopped using their search engine, maps, etc. entirely.

Google just gets to deep into your info for my liking.

Since switching to iPhone I have deleted what I could in my Google account. I then forwarded my GMail to my ISP mail for about a month. All online accounts have been changed to the ISP email now as well. Once I was satisfied that my contacts had my new info I deleted my entire Google account. I don't miss anything and there are many alternatives and equivalent apps and services to use.

Search Engine:
DuckDuckGo.com

Maps:
Maps and Here WeGo! (for offline)

Places to visit locally or out of town:
Yelp and TripAdvisor.

All Social Media:
Safari browser and adding the website link to your home screen. Yes, there is a website for that. 😉

Those are just some examples.

I'd like to hear if anyone does the same or have more suggestions so we can all benefit. 😎

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I disabled everything Google a while back but ended up recreating a throwaway gmail account for Mobile Nations purposes. I tried using different search engines, but none of them were better than Google's search engine, in my opinion. Other than that, I don't really use any of their apps, with the exception of YouTube on occasion or store stuff on Google Drive.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I use search extensively. I still have my Gmail account but I use it far less than previously. I've been trying out Apple Maps again lately and am liking the newest version more and more. The UI is much improved and traffic conditions are much easier to see now. I still have Google Maps installed but maybe I will be getting rid of it soon.

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I use the bare minimum (in my opinion) only. I have a gmail account but it's just for personal communication to family and friends and newsletters, etc. I do use Google search, but not the app itself. I do like YouTube as well, so I have that. As far as maps is concerned, I only really check those for traffic unless I'm traveling in a different city. I find Google's walking directions especially to be far superior than Apple Maps. I am with you that I hate that they track everything, but for now, it's a price I'm willing to pay for some small conveniences.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I use Google for searchers only because its more popular....and Youtube. and have Gmail account.

People are really worried about Google reading your email just because targeted ads in.. perhaps if Google just said "scanning for malware" it would of actually sounded better.

Either way i never log into my Gmail accout hardly ever,, just fetch via IMAP.. so not really fussed..

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Ha! Nope.

YouTube is a must but I am not logged into the app on my iPhone so it works just fine for me. Feedly with Google account connected is so good. I do use Google to search a lot though, because of what @Just_Me_D said.

brixtonboy

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I got nix to hide totally Google me got the lot.
Gmail, photos, drive everything if they bring it out l will have it probably

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
The only Google service I have stopped using primarily lately is Gmail. I switched to iCloud for email because I started to pay for it monthly. I still use many of their other services because they tend to be more convenient compared to others.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I still use all the Google Services because I came from an Android phone before :) I prefer their services to be honest...

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
My iPhone is Google-fied. I use all Google apps and services because for me it's best cross platform. When I'm on a computer I never log into iCloud. When I create Doc and share them I never use Pages etc.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Coming from Android I still use google. I like my Gmail. Have had it for many years. I will continue using. I do like Apple maps but still
have google. I have used the Safari but still use Chrome. Will continue venturing into Apple but not giving up Google.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I use the Google search engine. Tried all. I have 4 Gmail accounts and use Google Maps, YouTube, and Google Translate.

Yep in addition I Inbox by Google. The UI is fantastic. Google News is more modern than Apple News in UI and experience. I use Chrome on my iPhone. Yep I don't use iCloud for Photos but use Google Photos. Google Photos has a lot more to offer than iCloud in my opinion. Google Calendar. All my contacts are synced through gmail / Google. And other Google apps.

I never had an Android. So I'm not one of those people who was so used to the Android ecosystem. It's not about ecosystems for me per se. It's about who has the best technology and who provides the best universality. It's about universality not only on my own hardware but other hardware. For instance on vacation I needed to do some stuff for my business such as email correspondence, fixing some docs and some research on the web. I didn't have my MacBook with me so I used the hotels computer. Just logged into gmail and from there responded to some emails then clicked to check out some vacation photos. From there wrote and saved a doc. Then from there researched a product on the web.

Yea I could have logged in to iCloud and did all this stuff but I don't know too many people who log into iCloud to begin with and use Safari anyway. Yea lots do but Safari can't compare to Chrome or even Firefox.

To me Apple products NOT the OS or iOS is stale and not 'technological'. People like stale and that's ok.

Also people tend to tie in iOS with Apple services or iOS with the ecosystem. Versus using services that has the best technology for their needs. It's not really about ecosystem per se.

Like to know how many people use Safari as their main browser on their computers?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Imo, Google services are superior to the competition. Largely in part to their data collection. I've tried other search engines and Google always came out on top to me. I also prefer their Maps application. I wouldn't be able to stop using Google completely. I'd always go back.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
More like; Who has left or does not use any Google services at all? I mean stopped using their search engine, maps, etc. entirely.

Google just gets to deep into your info for my liking.

Since switching to iPhone I have deleted what I could in my Google account. I then forwarded my GMail to my ISP mail for about a month. All online accounts have been changed to the ISP email now as well. Once I was satisfied that my contacts had my new info I deleted my entire Google account. I don't miss anything and there are many alternatives and equivalent apps and services to use.

Search Engine:
DuckDuckGo.com

Maps:
Maps and Here WeGo! (for offline)

Places to visit locally or out of town:
Yelp and TripAdvisor.

All Social Media:
Safari browser and adding the website link to your home screen. Yes, there is a website for that.

Those are just some examples.

I'd like to hear if anyone does the same or have more suggestions so we can all benefit.

The 'gets deep into your info' is why Google is what it is today. Do you use Google for search and YouTube to watch videos?

Shame Google Assistant won't make it to the iPhone. Google Now works better than Siri.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Google a lot. Search, gmail, etc. Do I love it? Nah. But it does what I need and I haven't taken time to unwind myself from it.

luminosity6

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi - I would say I've been unwinding from Google for years. For the most part I don't use it unless I must, such as a few things for my business purposes (such as listings on Google maps, for example) but I try to use as minimally as possible. It's very difficult to detach entirely since you might need something. It's a fact that nearly everything or all of their stuff is good or the best, and detaching is inconvenient. I've also been detaching from Microsoft more for the past year. Was not happy when they bought Sunrise Calendar, LinkedIn and Wunderlist, which used to be three separate services and now are all MS owned. Also was bummed when Evernote switched to Google servers. I ended up closing that account as well. :)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a gmail account that I've been using for years. It's linked to a lot of my accounts. I've been trying to migrate over to my iCloud account where it's not a huge hassle. The only google app I have installed is YouTube. As far as search engines, I've tried DuckDuckGo because I can set it to automatically open links in a new Safari window on my iPhone but nothing compares to google with searching no matter how hard they try or we might want them to. Don't get me started on how good Google Scholar was to me during grad school. Lol

Wonder if Apple would ever consider their own search engine. I'd give it a go!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple still has a lot of work to do to catch up to Google when it comes to services. I use Google for mail, maps and, of course, internet search. Everything else has gradually migrated over but I don't think I'll be making the plunge any time soon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2