Questions regarding BootCamp

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I'm looking to use BootCamp to install windows on my iMac so I can play certain computer games. however, I have some questions regarding the process and about doing this:

1. How easy is this to do? is there a lot of weird configuring and nonsense I need to deal with, or is it pretty straight forward?

2. With Windows on my Mac in BootCamp, am I at risk of Windows based viruses and malware ruining my computer?

3. How does BootCamp perform overall? is it pretty smooth?

I should note, in case anyone is curious and in case it matter, my iMac is the late 2015 Retina 5K iMac with a 3.2ghz intel i5, 8gbs of RAM, and the radeon R9M390.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

1. How easy is this to do? is there a lot of weird configuring and nonsense I need to deal with, or is it pretty straight forward?
Its been a while, but the last time I used boot camp to install Windows, the process was fairly straightforward.

2. With Windows on my Mac in BootCamp, am I at risk of Windows based viruses and malware ruining my computer?
If you are reckless with email attachments, a frequent visitor of questionable websites, etcetera, then yes, and its regardless of the operating system.

As stated above, it's been awhile, but I didn't find using boot camp difficult at all.

I should note, in case anyone is curious and in case it matter, my iMac is the late 2015 Retina 5K iMac with a 3.2ghz intel i5, 8gbs of RAM, and the radeon R9M390.

I did it via a 2009 model MacBook.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Its been a while, but the last time I used boot camp to install Windows, the process was fairly straightforward.

If you are reckless with email attachments, a frequent visitor of questionable websites, etcetera, then yes, and its regardless of the operating system.

As stated above, it's been awhile, but I didn't find using boot camp difficult at all.

I did it via a 2009 model MacBook.

Thank you for the quick response :) I'm actually very careful of what I do and honestly I more than likely won't use windows for more than Steam anyway. It's just, I'm always worried about viruses/malware on Windows, but maybe that fears unfounded if I practice good behavior.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response :) I'm actually very careful of what I do and honestly I more than likely won't use windows for more than Steam anyway. It's just, I'm always worried about viruses/malware on Windows, but maybe that fears unfounded if I practice good behavior.

No doubt about it....?*....I ended up removing Windows from my MacBook after a short period of time because I was rarely using it. Still, I'm glad I took the time to experiment a little with Boot Camp nonetheless. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and your family...

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No doubt about it....���*....I ended up removing Windows from my MacBook after a short period of time because I was rarely using it. Still, I'm glad I took the time to experiment a little with Boot Camp nonetheless. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and your family...

You too

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
No doubt about it....���*....I ended up removing Windows from my MacBook after a short period of time because I was rarely using it. Still, I'm glad I took the time to experiment a little with Boot Camp nonetheless. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you and your family...

BTW: I know it's been a while since you last did it, but what's the best way to purchase windows? Go to a Microsoft store and get a physical copy or USB key? Or download it off their website?

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
So I'm looking to use BootCamp to install windows on my iMac so I can play certain computer games. however, I have some questions regarding the process and about doing this:

When you run Boot camp its like running Windows on a PC, and just like a PC, u can get infected..

Its been ages since i used it, and prefer virtual machines to Boot-camp. Actually all my gaming is not even in Boot-camp, or virtual machines anymore, because u need an OS.... I use Wineskin (since don't need an operating system install first).

If u want to run Boot-camp, open "Boot-camp Assistant" in /Application/Utilities folder.. The wizard is pretty straight forward... All u gotta remember is, install the OS on the "boot-camp" partition it creates... not any other...

BTW: I know it's been a while since you last did it, but what's the best way to purchase windows? Go to a Microsoft store and get a physical copy or USB key? Or download it off their website?

if the goal is to run Windows 10, u can download this from Microsoft for free ,than activate it later in Bootcamp (if needed).

Or you can get Windows 10 from store... I you search round computer stores, you my still be able to buy Windows 7 like i have a place that still sells Windows 7.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
These days, it's probably easier to just download it from Microsoft's website, if available.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have successfully installed windows 10 using boot camp. It's weird getting used to windows again. When it asked for me to partition space for windows, I chose 300gbs (way I figured is that 50gbs is devoted to windows itself and it's updates and the remaining 250 for whatever. I thought this was a good size since most laptops are maximum 256gbs in size anyway and I am just going to use windows for some games)

Hopefully this thing won't be too much of a pain to maintain.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
The sad truth I'm beginning to realize, after having access to all the steam games on PC vs mac, that I don't think my next desktop will be a mac. But since I just got this computer, that won't be for at least another 2 years probably.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So I have kinda a silly question: if I delete and install drivers when I'm in boot camp windows mode, does this mess with the drivers on the Mac OS partition?

hudss

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if youre aware, but you can hold the option key at startup to choose which OS you want to load. Personally I just use parallels and load windows when necessary within my Mac OS but I use it for work purposes.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen