Why haven't you switched to Android?

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Very good point. One of my best friend is a hardline Apple fan and has his whole house set to an Apple ecosystem. He constantly chastises and makes fun of me for using Android, yet he'll never use Apple Maps and all of his work and personal e-mail addresses are Google.

I think it's always best to walk in both worlds, from both a professional and personal standpoint.

anon(9057135)

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
They only support updating the phones they sell (from the Play Store) for a limited time, and then they no longer send out updates other than security ones. This makes a 600 or 700 dollar phone outdated long before any of the hardware can no longer be supported via new OS updates, unless you root and install a custom ROM. Apple supports their phones for many years.

Security updates are sometimes only added in OS updates instead of being pushed out immediately. Apple pushes security updates as soon as they have a fix. They don't wait.

And while this isn't necessarily a Google thing, when you buy an Android device from any carrier you get garbage apps that you cannot uninstall. Apple does not allow this. You will not find carrier garbage apps on an iPhone.

Every Android device I've owned with the exception of one, has been purchased outright from the Play Store. After going through a few phones that quit getting immediate OS updates (I ended up rooting and custom ROMing each one), I finally got annoyed enough to make the switch to iPhone. I'll never look back. iOS is a more robust and smoother running OS than Android ever was. I thought I would miss not being able to customize how things look, I find that I prefer having a secure phone rather than a pretty one (and being a girl, I do love a pretty phone). I miss the tinkering part of it, but it is what it is. Running beta seems to alleviate the need to tinker most times.

Thanks for the explanation. I myself dislike Google as well.

When I had a Windows Phone, They didn't support a damn thing. Using any Google service on a Windows phone was a pain in the ***. It only took me a week to migrate all my Google crap to my Microsoft Account (which I like much more).

With Google, Everything they make usually only made for chrome , until they get enough feedback that people think its anticompetitive (look at beta inbox for an example)

I also hated that when I had my HTC One M9 Gunmetal, I couldn't disable some of the Google apps that were killing my battery. It made me so pissed, I rooted and forced uninstalled them and replaced them with Microsoft apps.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
e-mail addresses are Google.

Best thing that Google ever made is Gmail. I've been using it since it first went beta when it was invite only. I have 5 gmail accounts and only get spam at one of them.... the one I use for forums and various news letters. Although I will be the first to scream that Gmail for cell phones is terrible, so I don't use it.

Google should of stopped and never made anything else after Gmail. IMHO it's their biggest and only true success.

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You can watch media on any iOS and PC/Mac device but The device you buy media on google play would be the only one for using your own purchases.

That is not even remotely close to true. I can watch and use any song, movie or TV show that I got from Google Play on any device. It's on my iPhone, it's on my daughter's iPad, I can watch it on any computer on earth as long as I log into my Google account.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
What would make you switch to WP? I've had to use Windows phones in my work and hated every minute of it. Do you use PC or Mac?

If your question was for me, it's simple. It's the most useable OS I have ever used. Once setup, it will seamlessly stay synched with all my WIN 10 devices. Not sure what phone or version of WP OS you used but the latest update on my now 950xl works great. As they say, opinions are like aholes, everybody has one. I just like WIN Phones. I use my 6s+ mainly for Facetime; etc.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I can see why you would like it. I have no Windows 10 devices, so for me it ended up being a clunky experience, but I suppose if I had others and lived in that space a bit more, I'd enjoy it more.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I had a Blackberry phone and bought an Android tablet. I was impressed with it at first but then noticed certain things just didn't happen the way I thought they should.

When it came to upgrade time for my phone I played with iOS and got an iPhone soon after borrowing an old one for a while. Despite the customisation available within Android I've not looked back since. The tablet was traded for an iPad mini.

One thing that won't change though despite my phones and Watch being Apple ecosystem is my PC. I won't get a Mac!

G.4

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As I'm sure others agree, it's the Apple ecosystem in its entirety. That, and I genuinely enjoy iOS. But at this point between my iPhone, iPad Pro, and Apple TV, it just makes sense to keep it the same. My family (except one) are all on iOS also, so iMessage, FaceTime, and Photo Sharing are services that help us stay connected. I know that Android offers those services also, but not without Google creeping on all your data along the way. For me, iOS is still the hands-down best choice. At least for now.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Because I'm still sound of mind and am too deep buried into the Apple Ecosystem.

With having an iPhone 7 Plus, TV 4th Gen, Watch and the AirPods it really is not an option for me to switch.

sjsharksfan39

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure if I can switch to Android. All my music is on Itunes, and I have an Ipad and Iphone. I am curious about how Android has improved since I was last part of it though, which was years ago.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've switched back and forth between iOS and android multiple times, and always seem to come back to iOS. I do wish that iOS was more flexible like android, but not if it'll effect the stability.

As far as computers, I find macs more pleasant to use for regular computing tasks. Games, however, are ok in selection on mac, and it's getting better, but windows is still king in this area and it's the reason I just made a boot camp partition on my iMac.

GlowingBlue

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Main reason is consistency.

Every upgrade cycle is different but staying with Apple to me means that there are core features that are consistently getting better.

- Camera
- Battery Life Consistency
- OS optimization

On other platforms it's kind of a crap-shoot every time...for now.

Jackson1442

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
iOS is too beautiful.
I've picked up friends android phones, and each one I pick up is different. This may seem as a plus to them, but it makes life so much harder. iPhones? I can use any of them - from the original to the 7+. I also love how integrated iPhones are to macOS.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Was considering getting an Android phone recently, but decided to stay with Apple in the end. The ecosystem is too comfortable. This 7 though. Very nice!

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Nothing ruins my flow.. Instead i'd rather "go with the flow" :D

I have paid to much for apps over the years on iOS, some which are only for iOS because developers go where the meat is.

I like Android,just as much like iOS, but...ya know.. I'm in Apple eco-system already.

I can switch any time i like, i just choose not to.

returnmyjedi

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
iOS is too beautiful.
I've picked up friends android phones, and each one I pick up is different. This may seem as a plus to them, but it makes life so much harder. iPhones? I can use any of them - from the original to the 7+. I also love how integrated iPhones are to macOS.

I'm finding that iOS is becoming less and less beautiful. When Ive jettisoned skeumorphorism with iOS 7 that was the last time iOS was truly beautiful. The News app is particularly ugly, IMO. Whilst Android manufacturers can put some truly abhorrent skins on their devices (Touch wiz, I'm looking at you), with the Pixel (which I don't own) Google have made the best looking mobile OS out there.

Posted via the iMore App

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have been with Android for years and was happy up until I had to give up my Note 7 . I have always been a Samsung customer and only like their product on the Android side. I have tried Motorola, HTC and LG. It has always been Samsung as my go to. From the Note 7 I chose the Note 5 because I couldn't give up the spen. The phone has been a real let down and since the last update, battery life became a real issue. I never really had an interest in Apple to be honest until the 7plus was released. due to battery issues and other problems I have decided to jump over to Apple. What sealed the deal for me is Samsung and Apple have married with the Samsung smartwatch being able to use on the iOS I am partially pleased with it but not completely and have an Apple watch coming. I will use both. I really do like the iOS and plan to stay with Apple. I am tech savvy and actually was able to set it up. I had taken it to Verizon for a screen protector and they did set it up but the rep messed it up and I couldn't correct the problem. I had to do a factory reset to to fix it. I have had the phone only 48 hours. I am impressed with how fluid and smooth it is. Battery life is awesome. And typing on it is a breeze. No errors and if any, not a lot. I have never liked the keyboards on Android and would start out good and then just be horrible. I do wish though we could customize more and that will take time to get used to. But other than that I am very pleased. My Samsung watch is ok with it and will still use it because it is a standalone so when walking will be great. But I can't reply to notifications from the
watch like I could. Not a deal breaker because am getting the Apple watch. I am glad though Samsung watch can be on it because it is a great smartwatch and I hope eventually it will do all that it is capable of doing. I have had no problems and I hope this continues.

macher

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Simply because I can't find an Android phone as convenient as the iPhone SE. My Samsung Galaxy 6s Edge was too big and battery performance was poor.

I had the 6 plus when it came out then sold it to get a 6. The 6 is perfect for my needs. I also know a lot of people who got the SE.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have been using Android for years. I also sold wireless. I got out of selling around the time Apple was being released in the Verizon stores. I have always liked being able to customize etc but the past couple of months very unhappy . Updates ruin battery life among other issues been having. So decided to take the plunge because I liked the looks of the 7Plus. Played with it. Also did my research. One of my employees recently got it. Ordered on the 11th. Received on the 13th. Am impressed. Not looking back. Thinking about a Mac

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods