Why haven't you switched to Android?

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
That makes total sense. Ask any Android user the thing they love most about it and customization will likely come up a lot. If you don't want, like, or need that, then iPhone is exactly what you want. Fair enough!

Dan_M

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I was tired of Android's unstable OS. I'm never switching back to android. No matter the phone, android is never as solid as iOS and I knew that before I ever owned an iphone. Customisation to me is a little over rated especially if it means giving up functionality.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
That's a valid point, though iOS 10 has been nothing but buggy for me, and I'd have no other phone to try it with if I wasn't an Android user. I'd just have to try another iPhone. That I don't like.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Really interesting thread here.

Like @zocster and @aximtreo , I'm platform agnostic as well. Unlike them, I do have an Android phone that I like quite a bit. One might wonder, why am I here then?

It kind of goes back to @bcandiolo 's point. I also own an iPhone SE too and it is really the only one of its kind. It's the only phone I own (I have a Windows Phone, Android, and the previously mentioned one as well) that I can just use and not think about because it has everything and I have the option to not use iCloud ever for anything. I can use what I want. The size, cameras, performance are great. It lacks customization though and that gets me to a point so I hop on the Android train.

I really like my Honor 8, but it's bigger than I would like and I find myself thinking about the size of it...which also gets me after a while. If there was an Android phone that has the camera and performance (and good battery life!) of my iPhone SE in a 4.7" screen, I would probably be done with iOS. Since that doesn't exist at this time, I'm always going to be switching...

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
It's funny how that extra half an inch makes such a big difference. I'm presently using the Nexus 6P, which is a full inch bigger than the iPhone 7, and it was a hard transition to make. Took my hand a bit to get used to it!

Would you say you have a favourite? Or would you say they each have their place?

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I've tried others, but I always seem to come back to iPhone. Sure Android gives you more freedom to customize this and that, root and tinker with things. After a while I got tired of all that. I just want my phone and apps to do what they're supposed to do. Add in that iPhone plays nicer with my Mac, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
True enough. In switching back and forth so much, the one thing I always wish for in Android is an AirDrop-like service of sorts. Getting photos and screenshots from Android to Mac is a HUGE pain in the butt.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't find Android "intimidating" at all. In fact, I bought a used HTC One M7 off of eBay back in 2014 because I got curious. I just personally find Android to be nothing special. It's not difficult to use like many Android fans claim to non-Android users. I've used iOS, Android, Windows Phone and even Symbian back in the day. I think all of them are different. Android was generally my least favorite, but that's only my opinion/personal preference. One thing I definitely wasn't a fan of with Android was that it seemed like a huge battery hog. I prefer to have juice on my phone enough that I can get at least a good, solid day or day and a half out of it - which I did with Windows Phone and which I do with iOS.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
It's funny how that extra half an inch makes such a big difference. I'm presently using the Nexus 6P, which is a full inch bigger than the iPhone 7, and it was a hard transition to make. Took my hand a bit to get used to it!

Would you say you have a favourite? Or would you say they each have their place?

I agree. Wow, that sounds like quite a size difference/adjustment!

That's a good question. I guess they each have their place for me, since they each have one con that makes me switch after a bit. If they could make a baby, maybe both will remain in a drawer.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
It really depends on the phone, but yeah, I find that the OS is almost always at the top of the battery usage list. I suppose when I think of those that find Android intimidating, I'm thinking of my less-than-tech-oriented family members, but you're right. At the end of the day, it's not that different at all.

Mick Symons

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I feel like the Pixel is Google's effort to bridge that gap, but being a couple steps behind with Assistant and other features that iPhone users gravitate toward, I think it'll be a while.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I feel like the Pixel is Google's effort to bridge that gap, but being a couple steps behind with Assistant and other features that iPhone users gravitate toward, I think it'll be a while.
That's a good point. It's the only phone that is left for me to consider trying there. It's nice but I can wait for a drop... eventually.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
You're right. I wish that it wasn't just Google selling it. :/ I'm not on Verizon so that's not an option for me. Since Google is making it hard for one user to sell their Pixel to someone else, can't do much. I have more faith in another Android OEM making a good small phone over them dropping price.

groy22799

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
Working in the IT profession, I have had to support all platforms, thus I have used all mobile platforms (Apple, Blackberry, Android and Windows). My personal preference is Android (I have been using OnePlus phones since the OPO). I enjoy the flexibility that an Android Device allows. My personal computer is an old 2010 MacBook Pro and the other machines in my house generally run Windows (Linux will pop its head up from time to time). I do use an old iPad, as well. They all have their pros and cons, but can all work together nicely, as well.

anon(9057135)

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I've used all 3 platforms and I left Android. I left it to try out the Apple ecosystem which I like much more. I no longer have to figure out why my is misbehaving.

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Everything in my ecosystem is Apple, so it would be a pain to change, also had a couple of Android work phones Samsung Galaxy, just did not like them at all.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
What keeps you tethered to Apple? Have you thought about switching to Android, but just can't take the plunge?

Maybe you have a full Apple ecosystem and switching to Android would ruin your flow? Maybe Android's intimidating?

I've switched back and forth over the years, and even though iPhone is fun, something always keeps me going back to Android (and my first smartphone was the iPhone 5).

Let me know your thoughts!

Im not tethered to any platform. I've dropped Windows for BlackBerry back when I got my Curve 8310 and then Android altogether for iOS. I still have a Windows Phone that I got out of curiosity, the Lumia 1520.

I've used Android alongside iOS through the years beginning with my Atrix in 2010. Then I ran both platforms simultaneously on different lines. I just dumped Android altogether and I'm now exclusively iOS. I got sick of my Android phones blowing up after the first major release.

I prefer iOS. I prefer Apple's approach to customer service. I prefer how the same apps work better on my iPhone than on Android. So, it is my choice to get the phone that's never let me down since 2009, after all the other ones have.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Interesting thread!

Ok folks know me, and you KNOW I'm a BlackBerry guy! I was the head Moderator at CrackBerry for several years. Probably only CrackBerry Kevin and Bla1ze are bigger BlackBerry guys than me! HOWEVER I'm now using iPhones and Androids. Of course with BBM on both and BB Apps on the Androids. I have 2 phone lines so I can usually have 1 of each. Sometimes I have tried Windows models too. I'm eyeing up the HP Elite x3! Now this is going to sound a bit strange, but what got me to try the iPhone was the Apple Watch. I know crazy right? But I got a really good deal on an Apple watch and so I needed an iPhone to use it so, I bought my iPhone 6 Plus and fell in love. I have since moved on to an iPhone 7 Plus. Of course I had iPads and Macs for several years prior too! On the Android side I change phones every 3 to 9 months, TRUE!!!!! Sometime new comes out I sell the older one and get the newer one! I have had most Nexus phones, almost all One Plus models (except the X and the T), Several HTC models, a few Moto(s), several Samsungs, including a couple Note models (NOT the 7!), the Nextbit Robin, Sony Xperia Ultra, and now the Google Pixel! (I MAY be forgetting something too!)