I've grown out of the need to try all the new toys and customizing for the sake of customizing it. Frankly, every time I try, I just revert back to stock after a while, so it is no longer bonus, it's just a hassle for me. If you ask me this question when I'm a kid, I'd say Android for everything listed on the article. Right now, I could care less about any of them and I'd go with iOS.

iOS is the most consistent experience I can find that doesn't require me to buy a new phone every two year to fix stuff. I've tried Android, they're great but I am not putting up with questionable update policy, hardware issues, horrible "Android skins"/slowdowns and so on. I already went through 3-4 Android phones and I'm done.

I still have my iPhone 5S with iOS 10 and I'm happy with it. I don't feel the need to upgrade it for another 2-3 years and that gives me the best bang for my bucks too. The next phone I upgrade will most likely be iPhone SE when iPhone 5S dies completely. I might consider Pixel as well but it all depends on what Apple and Google does with iOS/Android over the next few years.

As for iCloud, I had no issues with it and I barely get any requests to sign in. I don't know what makes you have to sign in that often but I barely have to sign in and Touch ID makes it a very quick 1-sec action. I rather have the security than gaining 10-20 seconds lost on the sign-in/unlock prompts.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    04-27-2017 11:22 AM
    I'm actually in the opposite boat! I've been a long Tim Android fan, always praising it's advantages. My absolute favorite phone I've owned has been the Nexus 5. I love stock Android, but since I've gotten the Galaxy S7, I've become rather tired of Android. It's a beautiful phone, but I miss stock Android and the Pixel is calling to me. However, the more I glance at iPhone and all of Apple's ecosystem...I can't help but be curious! The minimalist design and aspects call to me, as well as all the apps available solely on that platform. So I'm having a hard time in that regard, switching from Android to Apple.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-27-2017 11:35 AM
    Here is my #1 and only reason I dislike my iPhone. I'm a musician. So music is a big deal to me. I absolutely despise the fact I cannot move or copy my music from my phone to another computer. I feel if I add music to my phone I should also be able to take it and add it to another computer if I need to. With Android and Blackberry you can do just that. But Apple keeps everything on lockdown and that shouldn't be allowed. Just my two cents.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    04-27-2017 02:27 PM
    iOS Development + iCloud + Handoff to Mac
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-05-2017 05:31 AM
    I personally think Android has its merits and its basically personal choice to go with either device in my opinion. Some Android devices indeed have better battery lives than IPhones.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    05-08-2017 12:39 AM
    My first smartphone was on android and I really liked it, but I always wanted an iPhone for its design. Then when I switched to iPhone I realized that it's more convenient for me to use iOs and now I do not want an android again, although I understand that it has more possibilities. I am guided only by the convenience of using for myself
    05-08-2017 03:53 AM
    Almost every Android phone I had was a Google/Nexus device. All were rooted and romed. While I loved the customization, I got tired of all the tweaks to keep it running. Even unrooted and stock, still required tinkering to keep it going. iOS just works. Period.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    05-08-2017 06:52 AM
    Longer lasting hardware, simplistic software, continuity, better tech support and customer service, better integration with 3rd party apps, Apple Pay on the web and on the Watch, the Apple Watch for that matter, many apps written for iOS first (including Google’s own Gboard) Touch ID sensor on the FRONT, Apple Watch auto unlock for my computer, security that not even the FBI could break (and that was still iOS 8 on an iPhone 5c, which doesn’t even have the secure enclave in the 5s and up), updates that are available the same day they come out... And the list goes on. People say that the iPhone is expensive, but other android phones cost just as much without the above benefits, so that’s a lot I would be leaving behind. All these benefits make the experience simple yet powerful, having less stress for both simple users and power users.
    jmr1015 and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    05-08-2017 12:07 PM
    Because I keep seeing articles like this.....

Are Android devices really easier to hack? We asked the experts
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.FtT1P
    grover5 likes this.
    05-08-2017 06:52 PM
    I've already switched back and forth between Android and iOS. Android is fun for tinkering and customizing home screens and it is very open. Features and uses galore. Chasing that next best custom ROM and kernel combo is addictive. But for something that just gets the job done, I find iOS/OS X to fit my usage much better. Apple also has customer service that is second to none and their products retain fantastic resale value.

If I decide to play with Android again, the new BlackBerry KEYone and LG G6 are attractive options to me. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry, and I'll always have that Crackberry itch deep down... and the LG G6 is just one of the best looking phones on the market right now, in my opinion.
    libra89 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    05-08-2017 08:37 PM
    If I decide to play with Android again, the new BlackBerry KEYone and LG G6 are attractive options to me. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry, and I'll always have that Crackberry itch deep down...
    Isn't that the truth
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    05-08-2017 08:40 PM
    I switched from Android to Apple in January. Very happy
    05-14-2017 08:30 PM
    I've already switched back and forth between Android and iOS. Android is fun for tinkering and customizing home screens and it is very open. Features and uses galore. Chasing that next best custom ROM and kernel combo is addictive. But for something that just gets the job done, I find iOS/OS X to fit my usage much better. Apple also has customer service that is second to none and their products retain fantastic resale value.

If I decide to play with Android again, the new BlackBerry KEYone and LG G6 are attractive options to me. My first smartphone was a BlackBerry, and I'll always have that Crackberry itch deep down... and the LG G6 is just one of the best looking phones on the market right now, in my opinion.
    I use an iPhone 7 for my personal device and a BB Priv as my work device. Excited to get my hands on a KeyOne.
    05-14-2017 10:32 PM
    OnePlus makes excellent phones. I'm presently using the Nexus 6P, which is easily the best phone I've ever used. But now and then I miss the light-heartedness of iOS (especially easily sending GIFs and stickers).
    05-17-2017 05:11 AM
    Beyond the obvious, like all the iPhone apps I've bought over the years, it really comes down to security. Nothing is foolproof, but Apple's job #1 is security and privacy. Android is open and can be customized, and I understand why that's attractive. However, for me, Apple's approach makes more sense. Besides, my new iPhone 7 Product Red looks awesome.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-27-2017 08:13 AM
    More or less my reason is simply that Android devices work less reliably with my car's Bluetooth system for whatever reason. I actually do like what I can do with Android alot anf the OnePlus 5 interests me greatly. But I will see what Apple does with the iPhone 8. But I am getting tired of the iOS interface again. I do jump around a lot. iPhone to Windows Phone (Which i really liked but it was clearly dying when I left) to Android but then back to iOS.
    05-27-2017 08:29 AM
    I like the OLED screens on samsung's devices and look forward to Apple going that way. But back to the question. Because I'm not too excited about Google's hardware or nexus line. The rest of the devices aren't really android but a version of it mixed with whatever OEM crap that's mixed in. Samsung's hardware is nice and it should be. It's what they do. But software, ecosystem, and services are the other half and that's not them.

I've learned over the years that I can't depend on people to accommodate me by downloading a specific app to "talk" to them. Hey download that new amazon kindle app so we can amazon facetime using their new speaker. It aint happening. I have to be able to accommodate others instead. An iphone is best at that. iMessage, facetime, google, skype, whatsapp, amazon, you name it and an iphone has it.

Value of an iphone along with resell. Dependability. Being able to swap easily at an apple store. Fast updates. Mgmt. Dependable backups/restore. Integration with Macs and other apple devices. Especially airpods and apple watch.

That said, I do prefer google maps, email, and search. Youtube occasionally. But iphone handles them fine.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    05-27-2017 08:34 AM
    As much I would like to have a better camera and, especially, a better battery life, my experience with Android was kind of frustrating. I found that many apps I use in iOS does have a counterpart but they are often less polished. Furthermore, I am used now to give presentations with my iPhone hooked to a projector while controlling it from my Apple watch, something I can't currently do with Android.

Although I would keep using iOS, I am considering moving from Mac to Windows. The Mac is not as compelling as it once was and I could do everything I do with a Windows PC. Also, considering I live in Brazil, cost would be an additional issue, as Macs, because are imported, cost slight more than twice as much as a similar PCs assembled here.
    05-27-2017 09:02 AM
    My first smartphone was the Moto Droid and I liked it. For about 6 months. Android progressed so quickly at that time the Droid was soon left in the rubbage heap with no way to upgrade to new versions of the OS. I rooted and played with Cyanogen Mod to find fixes for so many things that simply didn't work right. It was an exhausting process if you just wanted to get the most out of the device. But I was stuck unless I wanted to upgrade the phone before my two year contract was up. Why should I have to pay a penalty for a device that never really worked as advertised out of the box and now was obsolete? Frustrating!

I bided my time and waited until the iPhone made it to my carrier. The iPhone wasn't perfect but the updates kept coming and the phone kept getting better. Best of all was the phone wasn't obsolete a year into owning it. I'm currrently waiting on the release of the new iPhones later this year to upgrade my iPhone 6. Three years and going strong and it'll still probably be viable for another one. Never got that from Android.

Another reason I stick with the iPhone is teaching, I teach new iPhone and iPad users at a local community college. Many of my students are brand new to smart phones and tablets. With iOS all their devices are the same, exactly the same, which lets students see my device and it looks and behaves exactly like their devices. No differences between make, model, carrier phones with all their added and rebranded apps and UIs. It might not be a big deal to tech savvy users but for a 80 year old who is not even comfortable using a microwave the fragmentation of teaching on Android is impossible to overcome.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    05-27-2017 09:21 AM
    The fact that iMessage and FaceTime are so widely used among my friends. That's the sole reason I haven't switched back. Out of pure convenience.

Everything else Android can do. In most cases better in few not so much.
    05-27-2017 09:27 AM
    I was an iPhone 3G owner then switched to Android in 2009, and then just switched back to the iPhone 2 weeks ago. I grew tired of battery life deterioration after each release on Nougat (OnePlus 3 Oxygen OS), I grew tired of UI inconsistencies, I grew tired of troubleshooting my phone, I grew tired of my GPS losing signal while driving to my new job on my first day (true story), I grew tired of not having a good selection of accessories, I grew tired of poorly written apps, I grew tired of poor signal strength, and I grew tired of inconsistent cameras.

I felt in 2017 it's time to start thinking outside the cell phone. I'm an avid runner (~6-10 mi/week) and I felt Android's health accessories, apps and services lacking. I exported all my Google Fit data and imported it into Strava (2017 data anyway), which is now hooked into HealthKit. Just the sheer amount of data Healthkit has is just impressive and a breath of fresh air (no pun intended).

I also love Apple Pay. Android Pay (and Google Wallet before it) was so poorly implemented and weak. With Apple Pay I feel more secure about making digital payments and I love how many apps have it included now as well, this just doesn't exist in Android land.

And I'm also an avid Google user, and over the last 2 years now it's clear Google is cross platform with all their latest and greatest apps and services are fully functional on Android and iPhone. And now with Assistant on the iPhone it's not only a seamless transition to iOS, but Google has more apps on iOS (and I would also add their iOS app counterparts are actually better designed and better performing ironically).

So I'm back home and it feels great on my 6s, my 7 Plus arrives Tuesday. My wife is also sick and tired of Android and she too is getting an iPhone soon.
    Last edited by dcdevito; 05-27-2017 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Added more
    bluesqueen23 and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    05-27-2017 09:48 AM
    First, it works for me. I'm used to how everything is handled, I've got a lot of "muscle memory" from using it, so why switch what isn't broke?

Second, I've got huge amounts of media in iTunes on my Mac. Mostly I carry around audiobooks, and it's easy swapping out which audiobooks I want. Most are audible or ripped from CD so in theory I could change, but I'd have to come up with a different way of storing them and learn the new way of transferring from Mac to PC. (See first answer). And if I want to have a movie on the iPhone, that's easy too.

Third, the app. Lots of apps, some sharing data with my iPad and Mac. Pulling up a Numbers spreadsheet to see what I entered on the Mac at home, magic. Yes, I could switch everything over to Google Docs or other apps, switch from 1Password pre-paid to the subscription model (paying again) so my Mac will sync with my Android phone, but again it comes back to why fix what isn't broken. I also have a number of board games adapted to apps on my iPad and iPhone (and I pay once to put the app on both), from the few times I looked it seems that Android lagged in that but even if that's no longer true, I've never heard of an app that interests me and then go "damnit - Android only".

Three reasons but the second and third largely fall back to the first. Everything is working great. When I was a nerdy teenager (when computers were things that filled rooms but there were some not-too-powerful computers for the home being announced), the idea that this would be even POSSIBLE would've blown my mind.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    05-27-2017 09:51 AM
    What keeps you tethered to Apple? Have you thought about switching to Android, but just can't take the plunge?

Maybe you have a full Apple ecosystem and switching to Android would ruin your flow? Maybe Android's intimidating?

I've switched back and forth over the years, and even though iPhone is fun, something always keeps me going back to Android (and my first smartphone was the iPhone 5).

Let me know your thoughts!
    05-27-2017 10:10 AM
    I started my phone usage with the candy bar Samsung polyphonic ringtone device... I then moved to the Motorola razor... I then moved over to the Nextel lines, followed by the sidekicks (2, and 3), then to the windows mobile phones (4 different models), then to the blackberry (curve, bold, bold 2, and torch), which I loved the most... When the original iPhone was released I was impressed but wasn't a fan, also when Android was released I want a fan either the device was just fugly as fugly could get...

After blackberry made it's decline after the bold 2 on at&t, I saw the ad spot for the Motorola atrix and thought that it was really good. Had it bought all the accessories for it and used it until the next big thing was released. This would be the OG Samsung Galaxy Note circa 2011...

The note had what I was looking for, bigger screen, more to see on the display, but best of all it has a freaking stylus, reminiscent of my windows mobile data I had to get it.

I got all the lash back from all my buddies, Android and iOS users alike, that it was too big. Year after year, Samsung made vast improvements on the device and fine tuned it. So every year, I would sell my old device and buy the new model of the note. I've had the 2, 3, 4, edge, 5, 7 (both times it was released) and plan on buying the 8...

In between time, I tried the, iPhone 3GS, 4, and currently I own the 7+

I have also tried windows phone, which to me is the best Smartphone OS period, but windows just released it too late, with not enough support with apps and everything.

And most recently I tried the blackberry priv and the iconic blackberry keyboard... I may purchase a keyone just for the functionality.

As of right now I'm using a Galaxy S8 until the note is released...

With that being said.
    When it comes to personalization, by far Android has the title... When both OSs were introduced, they had their advantages, but as they have evolved, you can see some of the features that iOS had, originally came from the Android platform, but what they offer are slightly different.

As I said, customization is King on Android, and I have mine customized for my liking, anyone picking up my phone had no idea how to get things to work. Battery life isn't a problem for me because I'm a heavy user, and that always drains your battery no matter the platform.

For the apple side of me, the hardware is usually top notch, the OS I don't necessarily care for, but there are some features that make it great for what it has, such as iMessage, Air-drop, which is a more fluid WiFi-Direct/Bluetooth hybrid... Accessibility feature right out of the box, and for social media, since most of it is tied to the operating system... Oh I forgot, the camera snapping is one of the fastest, if not thee fastest out there, In terms of entertainment, I use my iPad pro (1st Gen 12.9) which had the stereo speakers and was a beast I'm terms of sound and picture quality, compared to my note 12.2... I haven't pitted it against my wife's Tab S3 yet (I made her switch to Android for an easier I. Home eco-system, and she was surprised she never switched before, says she can never go back)

To me Apple sticks to the tried and tried method, or at least tries to... If it ain't broke, don't fix it... Android takes the engineering approach and asks what's broken and what needs to be fixed, and succeeds in fixing it most of the time... Android is crippled by fragmentation, but that's the beauty of the system, there is something for everyone... There just isn't a a high end something for everyone...

I like tech and I enjoy using them and pushing them to the limits, while they provide me with the tools that I need. For that alone I chose to use Android and my daily driver (invested with 500$ in apps) and I supplement with Apple (I have all Apple computers, and I don't use flow every day so it's not a big selling point)
    05-27-2017 10:28 AM
    My first smart-phone was an android. All I could afford at the time. It was slow, and overheated any time I tried using GPS and playing music at the same time.

When I could afford it, I switched to iPhone. I've always been happy with them. I really have no idea what the current state of android phones is, and I frankly don't care. I'm not an Apple fanboy, and I'm not anti-Android. I just like my iPhone.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    05-27-2017 10:30 AM
156 ... 34567