I really like Android, I like it's "openness". But every single Android phone I've owned had some sort of trade-offs
    12-07-2016 04:25 AM
    A smartphone is a tool, you find the tool that does what you want when you want. iPhones do that for me, I don't want to customise it, to make it do different things than those I chose it for.
    12-07-2016 05:09 AM
    I'm certainly finding that as well. So far the only Android phone that has covered all my bases has been the Nexus 6P. Other Android phones had something missing (especially Samsung phones).
    12-07-2016 11:03 AM
    I have owned 4 Android devices. When using my last one, the Moto X, I realized I kept trying to make my Android device perform and look like an iPhone. I didn't use widgets or any of the extra things built into Android. I grew tired and bored of customizing my devices. I just want my device to work out of the box. In addition fragmentation, disjointed UI, finiky battery life, and lower quality apps are all real problems with Android. I grew tired of dealing with all these things.

I don't have to deal with any of that from my iPhone. I open the box and it works.
    +1
    12-07-2016 11:32 AM
    I've been back and forth between the 2 for sometime. Recently I think I cemented my choice for iOS. Mostly because apple treats their hardware so well and it's incredibly well designed. I may switch to a Pixel someday. But Google needs to nail down their hardware and such. I mean get a great designed phone and start designing their own chips similar to apple. I think the A9 and A10 chips are what makes the iPhone a really premium device. The fact that apple dedicates these chips for its own OS makes it all the better. There really is no android device on the market that is as fluid and optimized for Android. I say this coming from a Nexus 6p. Which I loved but on the train to work, browsing twitter on my 6p actually made the phone get rather warm and the battery would drop to like 90%. On iOS a bad day it would drop to 95% and that's a big maybe.
    12-07-2016 02:24 PM
    I hear you. I think if Google started making its own phones with its own chips, it would rub the Android community the wrong way. Many Android "fans" detest Apple for that reason. That being said, with how great the Pixel is, that may not be a bad idea at all.
    12-08-2016 09:20 AM
    I think this debate will continue for years to come. I use Android primarily, but I'm always interested in what iPeople think about the subject.

Doesn't it really come down to ecosystem? Some say, users immersed in Google, should carry the iPhone and have both choices. People immersed in Apple's system, will always "choose" Apple hardware.

I'm curious how many IPhone users still use Google services (search, maps, etc) on a daily basis?
    Mike Tanasychuk likes this.
    12-11-2016 04:11 PM
    If I can ask, why do you hate Google? (Other then spying)
    They only support updating the phones they sell (from the Play Store) for a limited time, and then they no longer send out updates other than security ones. This makes a 600 or 700 dollar phone outdated long before any of the hardware can no longer be supported via new OS updates, unless you root and install a custom ROM. Apple supports their phones for many years.

Security updates are sometimes only added in OS updates instead of being pushed out immediately. Apple pushes security updates as soon as they have a fix. They don't wait.

And while this isn't necessarily a Google thing, when you buy an Android device from any carrier you get garbage apps that you cannot uninstall. Apple does not allow this. You will not find carrier garbage apps on an iPhone.

Every Android device I've owned with the exception of one, has been purchased outright from the Play Store. After going through a few phones that quit getting immediate OS updates (I ended up rooting and custom ROMing each one), I finally got annoyed enough to make the switch to iPhone. I'll never look back. iOS is a more robust and smoother running OS than Android ever was. I thought I would miss not being able to customize how things look, I find that I prefer having a secure phone rather than a pretty one (and being a girl, I do love a pretty phone). I miss the tinkering part of it, but it is what it is. Running beta seems to alleviate the need to tinker most times.
    12-15-2016 09:00 AM
    I've had numerous Android phones since 2010. Throughout this time all but the Nexus line rarely got updates. I'd always have to flash a custom ROM as carriers never pushed updates to our phones. Android has lost favour with me on many fronts.

My favourite phone was the Nexus S it had Gingerbread (2.3.*) was small, fast and simple. After that it just got worse for me. Bloatware on the phones increased. Tracking and ads on apps annoying. I mentioned custom ROMs and respect the talent the developers I have rarely got something stable.

Apple reminds me of Gingerbread, at least on the surface. Having current updates is a treat. My last Samsung Alpha is still stuck on Lollipop 5.0.2. Anyway, I could rant all week however my energy is better spent doing more positive things.

Apple is just a more intelligent, intuitive and secure platform.
    Last edited by 604ac; 12-15-2016 at 10:02 PM.
    12-15-2016 09:47 PM
    What Sherry said. I'm a long time Gnu/Linux user and did not like my iPad at all when it was first gifted to me. A few hours with Android took care of that. It looked familiar and I liked being able to see the file structure but I quickly discovered that it was only a cosmetic advantage.

I like tinkering on my PCs and it's a bit of a blow to the ego to have to give so much blind trust to a major corporation on my tablet, but from what I have been able to learn, Apple is infinitely more trustworthy than Google.

It isn't a perfect solution for me by any means, but I like being able to sandbox certain apps that I need for modern life and keep a separate philosophically pure Debian install on PC for hobby/intellectual stimulation purposes and most of my daily computing.

The iPad takes care of me and gets the job done with aspects of modern life and computing that don't particularly interest me so I have more time to tinker on the PCs. I guess it's a normal part of aging that eventually you just have to shrug and accept these things.

No android for me. I'm embarrassingly clumsy with iOs, but content with my decision to accept and enjoy my beautiful gift.

With a bit of help from the FileBrowser app and my brain, I don't see how I am likely to get too tied to the Apple ecosystem to switch if there is ever a readily available inexpensive tablet that will run my PC OS of choice. However, if I am ever in a position where I absolutely have to choose between using a Microsoft or an Apple PCs, maybe in a public place or an old folks home, I would absolutely choose to wait in line for the Mac after my brief and limited experience with the iPad.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    12-18-2016 11:50 AM
    Because Android is dead, Most games and apps are coming to iOS first and it takes 2 to 5 months for coming on Android, So What's the point? Also as a fully legal customer who always buy anything from Appstore and iTunes i have to say the quality of Apple Music, TV Shows and Movies are way better than anything else.
    You can watch media on any iOS and PC/Mac device but The device you buy media on google play would be the only one for using your own purchases.
    Don't forget iTunes Extras on Movies cause it's unique.
    iCloud on Apple devices is so easy and comfy so you don't need neither Hard Copy of your archive nor external hard drivers. welcome to the future!
    12-23-2016 08:38 AM
    Very good point. One of my best friend is a hardline Apple fan and has his whole house set to an Apple ecosystem. He constantly chastises and makes fun of me for using Android, yet he'll never use Apple Maps and all of his work and personal e-mail addresses are Google.

I think it's always best to walk in both worlds, from both a professional and personal standpoint.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-23-2016 08:40 AM
    Lol! Already using android
    DMP89145 likes this.
    12-23-2016 10:39 AM
    They only support updating the phones they sell (from the Play Store) for a limited time, and then they no longer send out updates other than security ones. This makes a 600 or 700 dollar phone outdated long before any of the hardware can no longer be supported via new OS updates, unless you root and install a custom ROM. Apple supports their phones for many years.

Security updates are sometimes only added in OS updates instead of being pushed out immediately. Apple pushes security updates as soon as they have a fix. They don't wait.

And while this isn't necessarily a Google thing, when you buy an Android device from any carrier you get garbage apps that you cannot uninstall. Apple does not allow this. You will not find carrier garbage apps on an iPhone.

Every Android device I've owned with the exception of one, has been purchased outright from the Play Store. After going through a few phones that quit getting immediate OS updates (I ended up rooting and custom ROMing each one), I finally got annoyed enough to make the switch to iPhone. I'll never look back. iOS is a more robust and smoother running OS than Android ever was. I thought I would miss not being able to customize how things look, I find that I prefer having a secure phone rather than a pretty one (and being a girl, I do love a pretty phone). I miss the tinkering part of it, but it is what it is. Running beta seems to alleviate the need to tinker most times.
    Thanks for the explanation. I myself dislike Google as well.

When I had a Windows Phone, They didn't support a damn thing. Using any Google service on a Windows phone was a pain in the ***. It only took me a week to migrate all my Google crap to my Microsoft Account (which I like much more).

With Google, Everything they make usually only made for chrome , until they get enough feedback that people think its anticompetitive (look at beta inbox for an example)

I also hated that when I had my HTC One M9 Gunmetal, I couldn't disable some of the Google apps that were killing my battery. It made me so pissed, I rooted and forced uninstalled them and replaced them with Microsoft apps.
    aximtreo and Blomsternisse like this.
    12-23-2016 03:37 PM
    e-mail addresses are Google.
    Best thing that Google ever made is Gmail. I've been using it since it first went beta when it was invite only. I have 5 gmail accounts and only get spam at one of them.... the one I use for forums and various news letters. Although I will be the first to scream that Gmail for cell phones is terrible, so I don't use it.

Google should of stopped and never made anything else after Gmail. IMHO it's their biggest and only true success.
    12-23-2016 04:50 PM
    You can watch media on any iOS and PC/Mac device but The device you buy media on google play would be the only one for using your own purchases.
    That is not even remotely close to true. I can watch and use any song, movie or TV show that I got from Google Play on any device. It's on my iPhone, it's on my daughter's iPad, I can watch it on any computer on earth as long as I log into my Google account.
    12-26-2016 01:35 PM
    What would make you switch to WP? I've had to use Windows phones in my work and hated every minute of it. Do you use PC or Mac?
    If your question was for me, it's simple. It's the most useable OS I have ever used. Once setup, it will seamlessly stay synched with all my WIN 10 devices. Not sure what phone or version of WP OS you used but the latest update on my now 950xl works great. As they say, opinions are like aholes, everybody has one. I just like WIN Phones. I use my 6s+ mainly for Facetime; etc.
    12-27-2016 09:31 AM
    I can see why you would like it. I have no Windows 10 devices, so for me it ended up being a clunky experience, but I suppose if I had others and lived in that space a bit more, I'd enjoy it more.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-27-2016 09:35 AM
    I had a Blackberry phone and bought an Android tablet. I was impressed with it at first but then noticed certain things just didn't happen the way I thought they should.

When it came to upgrade time for my phone I played with iOS and got an iPhone soon after borrowing an old one for a while. Despite the customisation available within Android I've not looked back since. The tablet was traded for an iPad mini.

One thing that won't change though despite my phones and Watch being Apple ecosystem is my PC. I won't get a Mac!
    12-27-2016 10:59 AM
    As I'm sure others agree, it's the Apple ecosystem in its entirety. That, and I genuinely enjoy iOS. But at this point between my iPhone, iPad Pro, and Apple TV, it just makes sense to keep it the same. My family (except one) are all on iOS also, so iMessage, FaceTime, and Photo Sharing are services that help us stay connected. I know that Android offers those services also, but not without Google creeping on all your data along the way. For me, iOS is still the hands-down best choice. At least for now.
    12-29-2016 12:26 PM
    Because I'm still sound of mind and am too deep buried into the Apple Ecosystem.

With having an iPhone 7 Plus, TV 4th Gen, Watch and the AirPods it really is not an option for me to switch.
    12-29-2016 04:27 PM
    I'm not sure if I can switch to Android. All my music is on Itunes, and I have an Ipad and Iphone. I am curious about how Android has improved since I was last part of it though, which was years ago.
    12-29-2016 04:36 PM
    I've switched back and forth between iOS and android multiple times, and always seem to come back to iOS. I do wish that iOS was more flexible like android, but not if it'll effect the stability.

As far as computers, I find macs more pleasant to use for regular computing tasks. Games, however, are ok in selection on mac, and it's getting better, but windows is still king in this area and it's the reason I just made a boot camp partition on my iMac.
    12-30-2016 12:47 PM
    Main reason is consistency.

Every upgrade cycle is different but staying with Apple to me means that there are core features that are consistently getting better.

- Camera
    - Battery Life Consistency
    - OS optimization

On other platforms it's kind of a crap-shoot every time...for now.
    bcandiolo likes this.
    12-30-2016 03:01 PM
    iOS is too beautiful.
    I've picked up friends android phones, and each one I pick up is different. This may seem as a plus to them, but it makes life so much harder. iPhones? I can use any of them - from the original to the 7+. I also love how integrated iPhones are to macOS.
    Tartarus and Sherry_B like this.
    12-30-2016 03:10 PM
140 12345 ...